Barack The Magic Negro

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/rnc-...2008-12-26.html
RNC candidate Chip Saltsman???s Christmas greeting to committee members includes a music CD with lyrics from a song called ???Barack the Magic Negro,??? first played on Rush Limbaugh???s popular radio show.Saltsman, a personal friend of conservative satirist Paul Shanklin, sent a 41-track CD along with a note to national committee members.???I look forward to working together in the New Year,??? Saltsman wrote. ???Please enjoy the enclosed CD by my friend Paul Shanklin of the Rush Limbaugh Show.???The CD, called ???We Hate the USA,??? lampoons liberals with such songs as ???John Edwards??? Poverty Tour,??? ???Wright place, wrong pastor,??? ???Love Client #9,??? ???Ivory and Ebony??? and ???The Star Spanglish banner.???Several of the track titles, including ???Barack the Magic Negro,??? are written in bold font.The song, which debuted on Limbaugh???s show in late March 2007, latches onto an opinion column in the Los Angeles Times of the same title. That column, penned by cultural critic David Ehrenstein, argued that Obama could serve as a balm to whites who felt guilty about past treatment of African Americans.Limbaugh first highlighted the column the day it ran, according to a contemporary report by Media Matters, the liberal watchdog agency. Media Matters reported Limbaugh repeated the phrase more than two dozen times the day the column ran.The following month, Shanklin debuted his version of the song, sung to the tune of ???Puff the Magic Dragon??? and performed in Shanklin???s impression of Al Sharpton.???See, real black men, like Snoop Dogg, or me, or Farrakhan, have talked the talk, and walked the walk, not come in late and won,??? one verse in the song says.Saltsman said he meant nothing untoward by forwarding what amounts to a joke more at Ehrenstein???s expense than at Obama???s.???Paul Shanklin is a long-time friend, and I think that RNC members have the good humor and good sense to recognize that his songs for the Rush Limbaugh show are light-hearted political parodies,??? Saltsman said.Republicans searching for ways to attack Obama have been hesitant to embrace any reference to his race. Limbaugh presciently predicted his allusion to the column nearly two years ago would win attention from left-leaning organizations that would suggest he was using Obama???s race against him.
"b b b but it's just a joke!"

Comments

• How is the RNC reacting to this?

• http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/rnc-...2008-12-26.html

RNC candidate Chip Saltsman???s Christmas greeting to committee members includes a music CD with lyrics from a song called ???Barack the Magic Negro,??? first played on Rush Limbaugh???s popular radio show.
    Saltsman, a personal friend of conservative satirist Paul Shanklin, sent a 41-track CD along with a note to national committee members.

???I look forward to working together in the New Year,??? Saltsman wrote. ???Please enjoy the enclosed CD by my friend Paul Shanklin of the Rush Limbaugh Show.???

The CD, called ???We Hate the USA,??? lampoons liberals with such songs as ???John Edwards??? Poverty Tour,??? ???Wright place, wrong pastor,??? ???Love Client #9,??? ???Ivory and Ebony??? and ???The Star Spanglish banner.???

Several of the track titles, including ???Barack the Magic Negro,??? are written in bold font.

The song, which debuted on Limbaugh???s show in late March 2007, latches onto an opinion column in the Los Angeles Times of the same title. That column, penned by cultural critic David Ehrenstein, argued that Obama could serve as a balm to whites who felt guilty about past treatment of African Americans.

Limbaugh first highlighted the column the day it ran, according to a contemporary report by Media Matters, the liberal watchdog agency. Media Matters reported Limbaugh repeated the phrase more than two dozen times the day the column ran.

The following month, Shanklin debuted his version of the song, sung to the tune of ???Puff the Magic Dragon??? and performed in Shanklin???s impression of Al Sharpton.

???See, real black men, like Snoop Dogg, or me, or Farrakhan, have talked the talk, and walked the walk, not come in late and won,??? one verse in the song says.

Saltsman said he meant nothing untoward by forwarding what amounts to a joke more at Ehrenstein???s expense than at Obama???s.

???Paul Shanklin is a long-time friend, and I think that RNC members have the good humor and good sense to recognize that his songs for the Rush Limbaugh show are light-hearted political parodies,??? Saltsman said.

Republicans searching for ways to attack Obama have been hesitant to embrace any reference to his race. Limbaugh presciently predicted his allusion to the column nearly two years ago would win attention from left-leaning organizations that would suggest he was using Obama???s race against him.

[rockadelic] surely it's offensive and racist....but this is still America and he still does have the right to exercise his freedom of speach. that's what's important and what makes america the best[/rockadelic]

• Sure he does.

I encourage Republicans to keep doing this kind of stuff. Toss around the word "negro" as much as possible in reference to the 44th POTUS. Display as much cultural insensitivity as possible. Continue to make unserious appointments to high office. It'll ensure their continued march towards political isolation and obscurity.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    what cant take a joke?!?! JOKEIST!!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/rnc-...2008-12-26.html

RNC candidate Chip Saltsman???s Christmas greeting to committee members includes a music CD with lyrics from a song called ???Barack the Magic Negro,??? first played on Rush Limbaugh???s popular radio show.
    Saltsman, a personal friend of conservative satirist Paul Shanklin, sent a 41-track CD along with a note to national committee members.

???I look forward to working together in the New Year,??? Saltsman wrote. ???Please enjoy the enclosed CD by my friend Paul Shanklin of the Rush Limbaugh Show.???

The CD, called ???We Hate the USA,??? lampoons liberals with such songs as ???John Edwards??? Poverty Tour,??? ???Wright place, wrong pastor,??? ???Love Client #9,??? ???Ivory and Ebony??? and ???The Star Spanglish banner.???

Several of the track titles, including ???Barack the Magic Negro,??? are written in bold font.

The song, which debuted on Limbaugh???s show in late March 2007, latches onto an opinion column in the Los Angeles Times of the same title. That column, penned by cultural critic David Ehrenstein, argued that Obama could serve as a balm to whites who felt guilty about past treatment of African Americans.

Limbaugh first highlighted the column the day it ran, according to a contemporary report by Media Matters, the liberal watchdog agency. Media Matters reported Limbaugh repeated the phrase more than two dozen times the day the column ran.

The following month, Shanklin debuted his version of the song, sung to the tune of ???Puff the Magic Dragon??? and performed in Shanklin???s impression of Al Sharpton.

???See, real black men, like Snoop Dogg, or me, or Farrakhan, have talked the talk, and walked the walk, not come in late and won,??? one verse in the song says.

Saltsman said he meant nothing untoward by forwarding what amounts to a joke more at Ehrenstein???s expense than at Obama???s.

???Paul Shanklin is a long-time friend, and I think that RNC members have the good humor and good sense to recognize that his songs for the Rush Limbaugh show are light-hearted political parodies,??? Saltsman said.

Republicans searching for ways to attack Obama have been hesitant to embrace any reference to his race. Limbaugh presciently predicted his allusion to the column nearly two years ago would win attention from left-leaning organizations that would suggest he was using Obama???s race against him.

[rockadelic] surely it's offensive and racist....but this is still America and he still does have the right to exercise his freedom of speach. that's what's important and what makes america the best[/rockadelic]

You should be arrested for recording offensive songs.....and then stoned in the town square....you know, like they did to NWA back in the day....that's what makes Amerikkka the best.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    This ish is like Pro Wrestling. Please to see "Cheap Heat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_(professional_wrestling)#Cheap_heat

It's amazing how everything comes back to the WWE. I just got me a vintage "Hot Rod" t-shirt. Rael Headz Comprehend That Transaction.