FLOSSIN BOOK COVERS IS WHAT I DO

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
I've posted this before but they were cell phone pics and I just scanned these. I've always loved this cover with the blue script. Crazy concept.Revolutionary Suicide Cover ArtRevolutionary Suicide - Huey P NewtonThinking about going on some book digging excursions but LA seems kinda dry. Not much of a reader's city. More of a reason for there to be some gold out there, I guess. I've got more but I'm going to hold out for now. Post em if you got em. Sneaker/book pics are welcome. or t-shirts. The Hundreds X Orwell

Comments

• Yeah, i'm a sucker for book covers too. I'm always on the lookout at fleas and thrifts.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I've got old paperbacks for days.

• I just posted these on my graphic design blog earlier this week. Found these last weekend in a used book store in Philly.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    check this blog out

courtesy of canonical

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    check this blog out

courtesy of canonical

• check this blog out

courtesy of canonical

Swiss Style much? Jeez. Hella Helvetica'd.

• Here's some scans for a black paperback project I started almost 10 years ago but never finished.

Looking them over now, I really should revisit them; I've got tons more where these came from. If anyone has a foot in the door of the publishing industry, let me know. I wanted to publish a book about black pulp fiction from the 1940s-1980s and I'm reasonably certain I've got one of the better collections out there.

• Love this thread, cover appreciation for days, I use them a lot for art research...some recent thrift finds:

• I love this one.

soulmarcosa, those scans are insane. Real nice collection.

theeecasualmale, you're in my blogroll. Really nice stuff.

http://www.batchesbrew.com/wordpress/

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I wanna check that Debbie Boone book

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Here's one I got recently that I like:

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts

Those are some dope covers.

Here is a cool blog that just focuses on book covers. It's mostly contemporary covers, but still worth checking out if book covers are your forte

http://covers.fwis.com/sort_by_comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

The Hundreds X Orwell

nice! I have that edition. i wish I had this one:

This thread is a good reminder that I need to start weeding through the book shelves at thrift stores again

Here are some covers i like from my batch

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Bassie,
    Another reason why we love you. I wish we lived in the same town, then we could have a book club. I envision us drinking tea, petting the cats and discussing the later chapters on hash.

I have the Harlem On My Mind book as well.

Did you ever see this?

It's like an oral version of the book.

I'm a book geek, here's a handful:

[First publication by the original punk rock poet, later of Sub Pop raer fame. This chapbook was the first and only publication by Outlaw Press. The bio page is a line drawing self portrait with, "... born in Los Angeles, never passed ninth grade, lives alone and is unemployed." After he committed suicide, it was revealed that this book was bankrolled by his then girlfriend, a prostitute, who, while laying up in their hotel room asked, "Why aren't you published?" and he answered, "it costs money" and she asked, "How much?" and when he gave her a rough figure, she said, "Wait here" and went out and sucked off enough dudes to get the book printed. Hard living motherf??cker!]

[I love super minimal design. This, plus the stain, makes me warm.]

[Box set of plates/reproductions of art made by the prisoners of Auburn Maximum Security Prison in NY.]

[Thanks Famous_Mortimer]

[Not to be confused with the Soulstrut Handbook of the same name!]

And, finally, for all the ladies up in this thread:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    lol - they don't want us in the same town!

I would love to hear that LP next time I am in your neck of the woods.

the Toronto chapter of the book club salutes you

let me tell you, it may say Illustrated, but someone tore out all the pictures and I'm stuck having to use my imagination with mere words