Guitar Hero = Videogame Crack???

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Yo,I know I need a , but I was never hip to the addictive-ass "Guitar Hero" videogame. My brother had mentioned it, but I never paid it much mind. Anyway, dude bought the game for me today for Christmas (on PS2, I'll get PS3 some time this decade), and I'm hooked. The problem is once a song gets the best of me (i.e., the crowd boos your ass off the stage), I must keep doing it over and over until I master it. I just finally caught on to "Some Might Say" by Oasis after trying 10 times. Anyone other 'Strutters hooked on this game?Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    U gotta cop the Black Guitarist Limited Edition.....

• I'm addicted to the game, but moreso the Rock Band thing. I play drums so I like playing drums in these games. The drums in Guitar Hero World Tour are actually really fun too so I like that one. My fingers aren't really coordinated enough to be great on the guitar but I can get through most of the songs on Expert on guitar. But yeah, the game is like crack, especially when they release a new song for download that you really like... You feel like "I've GOT to have that!" and bam, that's $2 gone. It's not really playing an instrument but it sure makes you feel like you're immersed in the experience of playing the music.

Guitar Hero III really pissed me off though because they seemed to try and make the game as hard as frickin' possible, like it was a challenge to the .01% of the population who can do crazy shit like get 100% on the hardest songs. I got into Rock Band a lot more because it seems like it was designed as more of a communal, fun thing. At parties you can put on Rock Band and have amateurs try the game and have fun. No Fail Mode is especially good for playing with people with no experience. With Guitar Hero III if you don't know what the hell you're doing you might as well give up because it's just meant to challenge you and a first time player stands no chance.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I've never owned a videogame console since the super nintendo. And when I play stuff like Guitar Hero I know why - I wouldn't be able to get anything done. So many hours spent in front of the NES back in the day... But I do want to try Rock Band.

• Shit is so fun. It's the only thing my girlfriend's brother and I can bond with.

Watch this and prepare for face-meltification:

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Shit is so fun. It's the only thing my girlfriend's brother and I can bond with.

That gives me something which to aspire. I'll become a master!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Shit is so fun. It's the only thing my girlfriend's brother and I can bond with.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    When you hear those songs somewhere else, do you think, green yellow red blue greeeeeeeeeeeeen?

• I was a hater 'til I actually played the shit. Good thing I don't own one.

Playing "Freebird" on II is like drugs.

• Shit is so fun. It's the only thing my girlfriend's brother and I can bond with.

• I can't even phathom the manual dexterity lack of lined-up puccini[/b] it takes to do shit like this.

• I can't even phathom the manual dexterity lack of lined-up puccini[/b] it takes to do shit like this.

Man, most of the people that good at these games are teenagers... What the hell else do they have to do with their time? Ain't like they're working the 9-5.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Never played Guitar Hero or anything like it until last night when I played Rock Band for hours on end with some folks out in the country. I did a little drumming but I quickly became the designated singer. I even scored a 100 singing STP's Vaseline. Okay, now keep me away from that all-too-addictive shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I can't even phathom the manual dexterity lack of lined-up puccini[/b] it takes to do shit like this.

Man, most of the people that good at these games are teenagers... What the hell else do they have to do with their time? Ain't like they're working the 9-5.

Even 9-5 folks play video games in 2009. That whole idea of it being for children is so last century.

Before that, dudes watched TV and shit or got high and zoned the fusk out.

Shit is whatever. How long is a Baseball game?

Who the hell comes home and talks to their partner from 7 till bedtime every night?

• i fusking love Guitar Hero. Search and Destroy is the funnest song to play.

• Even 9-5 folks play video games in 2009. That whole idea of it being for children is so last century.

Oh, I know that. Studies have shown that a huge percentage of people playing video games these days are 30+ years old. I personally think it's because people of my generation grew up with video games starting with the Atari 2600 and then really getting into it with the NES so video games are just a part of life now.

My point though was that most of the people who are getting *really* good at games like Guitar Hero are younger kids who grew up playing stuff like this. I grew up playing video games but there's a huge difference between Super Mario Bros. and Guitar Hero. It's just harder for somebody in their 30's to pick up the skills needed for Guitar Hero and to be one of the best. Not that it can't be done, but it's like learning a new language, it's much easier to learn new skills like that when you're younger. I can bullshit my way through most songs on Guitar Hero on Expert but I'm not pulling 100% on most of them, and certainly not on the hardest song in the game.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    It's just harder for somebody in their 30's to pick up the skills needed for Guitar Hero and to be one of the best.

The moment I let go of my dream of being the best on Guitar Hero was a life-changing experience.

• so my girl got me the worst present a GF could ever get her BF: and Xbox, and she really wants to get Guitar Hero so we at least have one game we can both play. What is the consensus on the best version without the whole band setup?

• Who the hell comes home and talks to their partner from 7 till bedtime every night?

• so my girl got me the worst present a GF could ever get her BF: and Xbox, and she really wants to get Guitar Hero so we at least have one game we can both play. What is the consensus on the best version without the whole band setup?

Really, if you want a game you can both play and just enjoy rather than try to be crazy guitar-playing fiends, just get Rock Band. The guitar on it isn't a total ballbuster like with the Guitar Hero games where the point seems to be making the songs as challenging as humanly possible. Rock Band has a lot fewer 3-note chords and such and is just easier to get into. Plus, if you wanna mess with singing or playing the drums later you can. Guitar Hero is better for if you become a total junkie about playing the guitar and want to put your skills to the test, but if you're just starting to play the game it can get to be a pain in the ass.