Spam musubi got them going nuts (Obama-R)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
I know it's a minor, "human interest" part of the Obama coverage in Hawaii but I find it hilarious how many places are making a big deal out of Obama's love for Spam musubi. Jesus, it's only Spam! P.S. My wife's family picked up some Portuguese sausage musubi from a local Hawaiian spot last night. PROPER.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Portuguese sausage

Linguica? What's that got to do with Hawaii?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Portuguese sausage

Dude, are you serious?

Google "Portuguese + Hawaii."

• Have there been any American presidents (or politicians) who have admitted a love for Spam? It's funny to think that there will be someone who may legitimize the sacred luncheon meat, a meat that many of us have eaten for years.

Portuguese Sausage musubi... gunfunnit mannybolone, don't make me hungry. I want a Portuguese Sausage McGriddle right now, or a Redondo's hot dog McGriddle, or... oh shit, an Egg McMuffin made with Leonard's malasadas! F*ck A KRISPY KREME.

Thank you for making me homesick for the ono kine grinds, Mr. O-Dub. In truth, Mele Kalikimaka & Hau'oli Makahiki Hou to you and the whole mannybolone ohana.

Portuguese sausage

Dude, are you serious?

Google "Portuguese + Hawaii."

Maybe after the holidays. Love me some linguica though.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I was close to posting an "Ayo Obama" thread. I know the man goes to the gym for at least an hour every day but I was not prepared for the washboard abs of the soon-to-be-prez. The man is looking a lean 47.

I think the Spam is his way of saying that, even in times of economic hardships, you can still spice up your canned meat.

I was close to posting an "Ayo Obama" thread. I know the man goes to the gym for at least an hour every day but I was not prepared for the washboard abs of the soon-to-be-prez. The man is looking a lean 47.

I think the Spam is his way of saying that, even in times of economic hardships, you can still spice up your canned meat.

Either that or he's just reminding folks: "I know how to keeps it real, Island-style."

And Leonard's is the truth.

That and a hot coffee in the morning? Oh hells yeah.

• Portuguese sausage

Heavy Portuguese population moved to Hawai'i in the mid-1800's, brought their culture and food, became a major part of the population. They were brought here for slave labor, but some escaped and were able to prosper (some came specifically to look for better, especially with the trade between Asian and North America, with the Hawaiian islands soon to become a major port). As Hawaiians and other elasticities started to "inter-mingle", Portuguese would influence many parts of modern day Hawaiian living, as much as the Japanese, Chinese, and Filipinos did. Many Hawaiian musicians, entertainers, and politicians, are a part of the Portuguese community, and as with any population you have your share of Pocho humor that is unique to Hawai'i. Some elements of modern Hawaiian music are rooted in Portuguese folk music, which they played when they became pani'olo (cowboys) on the fields.

Emeril Lagasse has found a love for Hawai'i because many of the people who came to Hawai'i are from the general area that Lagasse's family originated from. Some of you who have seen Emeril and the shows he's done with Hawaiian cook Sam Choy will know what I'm talking about.

Short version: slave labor (for the poor) and entrepreneurship (for the wealthy) brought the Portuguese to Hawai'i, and they brought culture, food, music, and good times, which mixed in with the other elasticities that came in. That's not to say that all Portuguese in Hawai'i were slaves, as some came in with Spaniards via the British to find a way to prosper (i.e. they had the money). The Portuguese influence is everywhere.

Which culture invented bacon fried rice? 'Cause that shit is off the chain.

Damn. Nice summary. I'm curious because I'm 1/4 Portuguese myself. Fam hit Boston straight from the old country though, so I'm not really hip to the diaspora.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I had Spam for the first time ever when I went out to Kauai for Young Bizzo's wedding last December. Figured I would have to try it since it seems to be the good stuff in Hawaii. It was cool - I would like to try the Sushi though. Heard it is great.

• Which culture invented bacon fried rice? 'Cause that shit is off the chain.

LOL. I don't know specifically, but considering how people back home love their salt, it came from simply seeing what was in the fridge, not wanting the bacon to spoil, and someone saying "let's combine". Then there's the hot dog fried rice, spam fried rice, just slap in whatever and if it works, it works.

Speaking of which, I don't think I mentioned it here but I finally tried some Kecap Manis. Normally I'm a Kikkoman guy, but after reading about Kecap Manis in "Saveur" magazine I had to try it. Made it with fried rice and man, that stuff is perfect for it. Right amount of saltiness with a bit of sweet, then you got the bacon... oh man.

THEN... and I found out about this earlier in the year, put the fried rice in an omelet.

• Damn. Nice summary. I'm curious because I'm 1/4 Portuguese myself. Fam hit Boston straight from the old country though, so I'm not really hip to the diaspora.

Emeril has Boston roots if I'm not mistaken, so I wouldn't be surprised if the populations between there and Honolulu are rooted from the same places.

• Damn. Nice summary. I'm curious because I'm 1/4 Portuguese myself. Fam hit Boston straight from the old country though, so I'm not really hip to the diaspora.

I'd guess, then, that "the old country" = The Azores. My wife's family is all from there on her mom's side (Pico, representa) and her dad's side is all from the mainland.

When I was in Pico, I saw lots of old Portuguese dudes (Portugeezers?) rockin' Red Sox hats.

Damn. Nice summary. I'm curious because I'm 1/4 Portuguese myself. Fam hit Boston straight from the old country though, so I'm not really hip to the diaspora.

Emeril has Boston roots if I'm not mistaken, so I wouldn't be surprised if the populations between there and Honolulu are rooted from the same places.

Yup, he's from Fall River. There's a pretty significant Portuguese community in Eastern Mass. You can't miss the accent on Emeril.

is "BAM!" local speak?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Which culture invented bacon fried rice? 'Cause that shit is off the chain.

YES

is "BAM!" local speak?

I have been known to utter it on occasion. Whether this precedes or follows the celebrity explosion of Emeril however, is open for debate.

I'd guess, then, that "the old country" = The Azores.

Yup. St. Michael, specifically.

When I was in Pico, I saw lots of old Portuguese dudes (Portugeezers?) rockin' Red Sox hats.

Nah, them dudes is just bandwagon jumpers.

BAM![/b]

Nahmean? Spicing things up a lil'? Right? Spicing?

Never mind.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    spam musubi is so real

• the Portuguese also brought to the islands the ukelele , not Tiny Tim. and I ride for spam musubi. the grandparents just sent a box loaded with the canned goodness, even though I can buy it at the supermarket right down the street.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Breaking News / Updates
    Obama greets crowd after workout (10:30 a.m.)
    Obama working out with friend from Chicago (8:40 a.m.)

• Have there been any American presidents (or politicians) who have admitted a love for Spam? It's funny to think that there will be someone who may legitimize the sacred luncheon meat, a meat that many of us have eaten for years.

Portuguese Sausage musubi... gunfunnit mannybolone, don't make me hungry. I want a Portuguese Sausage McGriddle right now, or a Redondo's hot dog McGriddle, or... oh shit, an Egg McMuffin made with Leonard's malasadas! F*ck A KRISPY KREME.

Thank you for making me homesick for the ono kine grinds, Mr. O-Dub. In truth, Mele Kalikimaka & Hau'oli Makahiki Hou to you and the whole mannybolone ohana.
    Egg mcmuffin with malasadas!!!!hahahahah!! To funny man.

• the Portuguese also brought to the islands the ukelele , not Tiny Tim.

Wow, if people actually thought Tiny Tim introduced it, someone better tell Ohta-San and Don Baduria about that.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    so we had a blackout from friday around 7:30 pmish to saturday morning (much later in some parts) across the whole island because of f*cking lightning storms. people were all calling up this shitty talk radio station on some "OMG IS THIS A TERRORIST PLOT TO ASSASSINATE OBAMA?!?!" one person actually called up and was asking "WHAT IF ONE OF THE HPD OFFICERS IS A TERRORIST AND KILLS OBAMA?!?!?!" god i hate people

• it's all about the poi mochi

shit's more crack than malasadas

• so we had a blackout from friday around 7:30 pmish to saturday morning (much later in some parts) across the whole island because of f*cking lightning storms. people were all calling up this shitty talk radio station on some "OMG IS THIS A TERRORIST PLOT TO ASSASSINATE OBAMA?!?!" one person actually called up and was asking "WHAT IF ONE OF THE HPD OFFICERS IS A TERRORIST AND KILLS OBAMA?!?!?!" god i hate people

I kinda figured that would be happening. It's funny to go to the Star-Bulletin website and see "Send us your Obama photos" and with the power outage, while I realize you still can send pictures, how could anyone at the newspaper receive them, then print and/or post them? Have the papers been publishing during the blackout?