This Was My Shit-70's One-Hit Wonder Edition

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Hey,This is one for the 70's babies out there. Yo, here is my one of my favorite, one-hit wonder joints of the 70's: "Moonlight Feels Right" by Starbuck.

Don't ask me why I liked that song so much, I guess it's because I was 7 years old at the time, easily moved by cheese. Post one of your favorite joints by a no-name, one-hit wonder artist of the 70's.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

"Sentimental Lady"-Bob Welch

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Nice choices, Rock!!! I forgot all about that Redbone joint. What about these?

"Sentimental Lady"-Bob Welch

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Not in to Dupree but right there with you on Welch.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Rock and Batmon, those were some nice choices. You're definitely bringing back some fond memories from my tender years.

This next song is just on the border of the time range, 1980. But, it's soooo good, I had to give it some shine here:

"You and Me"-Rockie Robbins (big up, Minneapolis).

Where you at, Guzzo? Here's some "modern soul" for you holmeslizzle!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

these aren't one hit wonders....

Yo,

Here's one many might not be up on:

"Freakin's Fine"-Mandre.

After my uncles shut down their disco show (when I was about 11 years old), this was one of 1,000s of 12s they gave me. Enjoy!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Oh you wanna get Jheri-Curl on a Brother!

Oh you wanna get Jheri-Curl on a Brother!

Oh, there you go!!! Yeah, I always liked that joint but no one ever knew who the F*ck Mandre was. I figure I'd change up the listings a bit. I tried to find "Kaos Era" by Kaos, but it's not on YouTube. I wonder what ever happened to King Grand (their MC)?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yo,

BATMON and DJKingotto, y'all are posting some heaterz up in here. I ride for all of those joints you posted, and your earlier one's too, Rock!!! Please add on!!! Here are a few more:

"Dancin'"-Grey & Hanks

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• "Joy" - Apollo 100

• Dr. Hook were definitely not one-hit wonders... they actually had a surprising number of songs that did well on the charts. These are their singles and their chart position on the Pop Singles chart:

Sylvia's Mother - #5
    Cover Of The Rolling Stone - #6
    Only Sixteen - #6
    A Little Bit More - #11
    Sharing The Night Together - #6
    When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman - #6
    Better Love Next Time - #12
    Sexy Eyes - #5

I'm not really busting chops...I just don't think a lot of people realize how many hit songs the group had. I know I sure as hell didn't for a long time, to me they were just the corny group that did that novelty song written by Shel Silverstein. Then I got turned onto "A Little Bit More" and really got into their later material.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Quantum Jump - Lone Ranger

UK hit (Top 40, 1979), banned by the BBC for a while (ayo and drugs references-R), jazz guitar and Brit funk overtones, nice bass, Maori phrases masquerading as native American... what's not to like?

Taumata-whaka-tangi-hanga-kuayuwo
    tamate-aturi-pukaku-piki-maunga
    horonuku-pokaiawhen-uaka-tana-tahu
    mataku-atanganu-akawa-miki-tora

• Not busting chops, either, but I don't think a lot of people realize exactly who the real one-hit wonders are. There's always some followup that no one remembers, or doesn't get played anymore. George McCrae was around for a couple of years, with quite a few Top 40 singles, but history will always remember him as the guy who did "Rock Your Baby."

Of course, just about all his other hits sounded like Rock Your Baby Revisited...

• "Life Is A Rock But The Radio Rolled Me" - Reunion

• Oh, and my personal faves that haven't been posted yet:

Nick Lowe - Cruel To Be Kind

Hey,

Tuff Gong, man you weren't playing! You brought back some great memories. But yo, what about these?

"Brother Louie"-Stories

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• this was my shit in the 3rd grade, used to crank this on my radioshack clock radio

• "Sweet Mary" - Wadsworth Mansion

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Some good stuff in this thread, quite a bit of which I've never even heard of. Surprised that nobody posted this, though. I've never not loved this song. You need to check the "Freeway's Month of Madness" thread, where Herm has posted a cut which features Free rhyming on this.

Surprised also to learn that Free - one of the greatest British rock bands of all time - are considered one-hit wonders in the US. I mean, I know "All Right Now" is the song everybody knows, but man, they had joints. Was that really the only record of note they had in America?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Never thought I'd see a Wadsworth Mansion video on SoulStrut.

b/w

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Samantha Sang without the Bee Gees is like Harlod Melvin without the Blue Notes.

Hey,

Here are a three more, the first and third of which aren't one-hit wonders:

"Mainline"-Black Ivory

Here's a bonus, I looped the string part upfront for the hook on this joint "All is Well"-Birds of a Feather (I'm no new jack). Oh yeah, I'm the 2nd cat from the left (at a tender age of 21).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak