Prednisone

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Any of you poptarts have any experience with this medication?b, 21b, 21side-effects related?

Comments

• Took it a bunch for some allergic reaction induced rashes.b, 21b, 21It'll F*ck up the tummy a bit, and make you hungry at the same time.b, 21b, 21Other than that, nothing major in my experience. Then again, I haven't been super susceptible to side affects in most of my drug experiences.

• Do you have an ulcer, or a GI situation? And have you tried alternate remedies for it if so?b, 21Heard it's mild side effect wise and I have a family member on it who has Crohn's.... but known to LOWER SEX DRIVE.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    My dog is on it, it works.

• My Dad is on it. He has auto-immune hepatitis and was a candidate for a liver transplant. The doctor put him on it to slow down the effects of the liver damage. The drug is so effective that he has been taken off the transplant waiting list. I'm not sure of side effects, but I do know that it is used for many different conditions. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" 21

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Not good if you want to avoid overeating during the holidays. It makes you hungry.

• All depends on what doses you take. b, 21b, 21a week of 40mg a day isn't going to have much effect just blast away whatever it is trying to blast away. long term usage at that dose is going to make you eat like a horse and you get what is known as 'Moon face' which is b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nagl2.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Essentially your body produces 7-8 mg of 'natural' steriods a day. If you take Pred, at high doses you'll stop creating it naturally and thats why they 'ween' you off by slowly reducing the dosage if you are on it for a long time at high dosages and the most dangerous time is the overlap between your own natural steriod producing thing is waking up and you still being on a reasonable dose of Pred. Anything under 5 mg has no general negative side effects b, 21b, 21Its not a nice thing at all over a long time. Lessens skin elasticity + makes you eat like a horse = stretch marks.b, 21b, 21I'm no Doc, just had first hand experience had a rare condition that funnily enough Benn Watt from EBTG also had and wrote a book on, that Docs use as part of a concoction of drugs to stop you keeling over.b, 21b, 21Currently taking 5 mg a day but at the height of it all i was on 60mg a day, and also had 3000mg drip fed into me over the corse of 5 days, 1000 on the first, rest, 1000 on the third, rest and a 1000 on the last. That sort of dosage can have all manner of effects on you. Rushing like no ones business on one day (which was great) went straight off to sleep the next and got rather down the last day. b, 21b, 21I think Docs feelings are fine in short, sharp jolts to the system, they'd rather not over a length of time if they can avoid it. b, 21b, 21As always your mileage may vary and I'm no Doctor.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Dude. Spent over a year on it. Gained forty pounds, raged out of control on all my friends and co workers; couldn't sleep, started to drink and smoke a lot. BUT it stopped my colon from bleeding and made life tolerable in a way. Getting off it took months and landed me in the ER so be careful. Now I'm on a drug that works and off the roids. Knock on wood.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Oh I forgot MOON FACE. b, 21b, 21Hit me on the pm for more info.

• i take that stuff when i have really hard times breathing in dry winters. never really noticed any side effects. once i start breathing better i try to cut it out right away. it can't be good for you.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    cheers for all the replys, especially RICH45 and Anna.b, 21b, 21i am on a high dose and have been for a while, im experiencing side effects that have basically turned my life upside down and turned me into a very angry man, b, 21basically roid rage from the wrong type of roids. now they have to wean me off.b, 21b, 21itll take a while.b, 21b, 21oh, and moonface is fun, as are the sudden hot flushes.