KUSF's BeatSauce Closing Shop After 14 Years

RawBRawB 67 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
[color:green] !--color--1/font1 b, 21b, 21[u]KUSF's Award Winning BeatSauce Radio Show Closing Shop After 14+ Years On The Air/u1 b, 21b, 21It is with deep regret that I inform you that Beatsauce will be retiring from our on-air programming Sunday nights on KUSF. For 14 years Raw B, Wisdom, J-Boogie and special guests have provided an alternative for Hip-Hop fans every Sunday night from 6-8 PM on KUSF 90.3FM. b, 21 b, 21Creating a place for local talent and budding superstars to drop their beats and rhymes, Beatsauce was awarded the SF Bay Guardian???s ???Goldie Award??? and voted ???Best Hip-Hop Radio Show??? by the SF Weekly. b, 21 b, 21The Beatsauce crew has always supported independent Hip-Hop artists that sometimes get overlooked by major radio stations. We???ve hosted both locals and future superstars on the air. Artists like Gangstarr, KRS-One, EPMD, The Jungle Brothers, Mobb Deep, Outkast, Blackalicious, Jay-Z, Slick Rick, J-Live, Lyrics Born, Bored Stiff, Jurassic 5, Peanut Butter Wolf, Common, Big L, Afrikka Bambatta, The X-Men, The Whoridas, Group Home, Dre Dog, The Alkaholiks, The Artifacts, Prince Paul, Eminem and many more have graced our airwaves. b, 21 b, 21The show was created in 1994, when Billy Jam stopped producing ???Hip Hop Slam??? (KUSF???s original Hip-Hop programming). Young interns and USF students Rob Blach (Raw B) and Justin Boland (J-Boogie) took their media classes the next step and created ???Beatsauce??? with local DJ Wisdom (then known as Winnie B).b, 21 b, 21Over time, the Beatsauce crew threw parties, broke new artists, hosted local events, gave away tons of tickets and helped push the independent nature of Bay Area Hip-Hop music. Tales of old Beatsauce tapes and religious listeners still turn up as new and old fans discovered the Sunday night treat. Beatsauce also worked with other KUSF shows The Friday Night Session and Future Breaks to raise money for an in house DJ set up, donating turntables and a mixer to KUSF. b, 21. b, 21We would sincerely like to thank True Clothing, SFO, Vapor Room, Sunshine Coast, Papalote, Milk, Poleng Lounge, Golden Triangle, City Hall Records, Open Mind Records and all the businesses that helped keep us on the air at KUSF with their support. We'd also like to thank all the venues and club promoters who donated free tickets to our devote listeners. Without business like these, it would be near impossible to keep Independent media outlets up and running. We owe you all deep gratitude and appreciation. b, 21 b, 21Beatsauce will now be moving to an all digital format as a bi-monthly podcast hosted by a href="http://www.Brooklynradio.net" target="_blank"1www.Brooklynradio.net/a1 and available on the iTunes podcast page. We will also be uploading old shows and classic interviews from the vaults to the player featured on a href="http://www.trueskoolnetwork.com" target="_blank"1www.trueskoolnetwork.com/a1 and a href="http://www.myspace.com/beatsauceradio." target="_blank"1www.myspace.com/beatsauceradio./a1 For now, time and life have taken over as DJ Wisdom has moved to New York to raise his family, DJ Raw B has taken on a professional career in the world of broadcasting, and J-Boogie pursues the elusive world of music production. DJ Diversify who joined the team in 2006 is active in the local club scene and produces weekly mixes available on his website a href="http://www.djdiversify.com/1530" target="_blank"1www.djdiversify.com/1530/a1 b, 21 b, 21The final shows will be broadcast in 2008 as we carry the tradition of the ???Christmas Breaks??? and ???Old Skool New Year??? episodes Dec 21st and 28th. Tune in Sunday nights from 6-8pm to KUSF 90.3fm for the last shows and look forward to more programs as Beatsauce becomes your favorite podcast. More info can be found at a href="http://www.myspace.com/beatsauceradio" target="_blank"1www.myspace.com/beatsauceradio/a1 http://www.myspace.com/beatsauceradio1 b, 21 b, 21Sincerely, b, 21 b, 21J-Boogie, Raw B, Wisdom, DJ Diversifyb, 21b, 21b, 21

Comments

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    RESPECT to Rob and crew! Thanks for having me! You will be missed.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    SF won't be the same without y'all! Thanks for all you hard work.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21SF won't be the same without y'all! Thanks for all you hard work.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21For real. I had a great time every time I played on that show, and the support Beatsauce gave Bay Area artists was amazing.b, 21b, 21Big up, y'all.

• sundays won't be the same. i wish you all the best.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21RESPECT to Rob and crew! Thanks for having me! You will be missed.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21christmas breaks!! my fav.

• Thanks for everything y'all, you held it down for a great stretch and really helped support a lot of artists over the years. This show will def. be missed on the airwaves. Much respect to the BeatSauce crew!

• Damn. I hope the final show is archived for all to hear too.

• RawBRawB 67 Posts
    Thanks for the good words. It's gonna be hard getting out of the habit of showing up at KUSF every Sunday night. Hit me up if you want to come through the final shows.

• Getting asked to play BeatSauce the first time was kind of a milestone for me, as I'm sure it was for a number of Bay Area DJs. I really appreciate all the dedication over the years.b, 21b, 21- Ross

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    wow... another great show lost. thanks for always playing some great tunes and helping out local folk get some play and interview time. ill give you a ring and see if i could stop by tomorrow or next sunday.b, 21b, 21-justin

• Wow, i can't believe it's been that long. Respect indeedb, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Getting asked to play BeatSauce the first time was kind of a milestone for me, as I'm sure it was for a number of Bay Area DJs. I really appreciate all the dedication over the years.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i'm positive that when i played it was with yr wifey, stef and anna. that seems so long ago. must have been 7 or 8 years back. i remember raw b asking anna on the air b, 21b, 21"what's the worst pickup line a guy could say?"b, 21b, 21and anna saidb, 21b, 21"WHY AREN'T YOU SMILING?"b, 21b, 21Hahahaha. Goddamn, my memory is unfadeable

• You are totally right! Speaking of unfadeable memories, that was St. Patrick's Day 2002.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    used to listen to you guys when i was getting into underground hip hop before the internet. really had no other way of finding that kind of music back then. thanks for doing your thang.

• THE show.b, 21Thanks so much for the indirect support on a LOT of stuff over the years.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Beat Sauce is/was awesome!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Beat Sauce is/was awesome!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1

• RawBRawB 67 Posts
    Wow, i can't believe it's been that long. Respect indeed

i'm positive that when i played it was with yr wifey, stef and anna. that seems so long ago. must have been 7 or 8 years back. i remember raw b asking anna on the air

"what's the worst pickup line a guy could say?"

and anna said

"WHY AREN'T YOU SMILING?"

Hahahaha. Goddamn, my memory is unfadeable

MP3 of interview with DJ Anna from said show...

21 DJ Anna_ Ah Dam_ DJ Neta on KUSF_.mp3 - 5.16MB

I've been scowering over old cassettes from the show and compiled a list of guests we've had on. The list is not complete. Please feel free to remind me of other BeatSauce guests/moments. I need all the help trying to remember stuff for our final broadcast on KUSF.

Also...Ross...while digging through tapes I found a your homemade cassette single "Doin It". Do you have an MP3 of that?

here's the list of guests we've had on....brings back memories...sort of...apologies if this gives you a head ache...

A.G.
    Abstract Rude
    Aceyalone
    Afrikka Bambatta
    Ah Dam
    Al Tariq
    All Purpose DJs
    Amir
    A-Plus (Hiero)
    Authentic
    A-Wolf
    Azeem
    Baby J.
    Bas-1
    Ben Flowz
    Big L
    Big Rich
    Billy Jam
    Black Eyed Peas
    Black Lung Brothers
    Blackalicious
    Blue Scholars
    Boac
    Bobiwan
    Boots
    Bored Stiff
    Breakestra
    Brown Fellinis
    Bucc Rogers
    Buff 1
    Cali Wild
    Celsius 7
    Charles Cooper
    Choclair
    City Side Crew
    Co-Deez
    Common
    Company Flow
    Conceit
    Crown City Rockers
    Cut Chemist
    Deadly
    Dee-Dot
    Defari
    Deuce Eclipse
    Diamond J.
    Dirt Bag Dan
    DJ A-1
    DJ Ales 1
    DJ Anna
    DJ Apollo
    DJ Aspect
    DJ Babu
    DJ B-Cause
    DJ Blaq Quest
    DJ Cense
    DJ Centipede
    DJ Chicken George
    DJ Coop D???Ville
    DJ Cue
    DJ Derrick D.
    DJ Design
    DJ Disk
    DJ Enki
    DJ Eurok
    DJ Gamma Ray
    DJ Gnat
    DJ H.O.P.
    DJ Halo
    DJ Honda
    DJ Imperial
    DJ Kento
    DJ Maestra
    DJ Mars
    DJ Mason
    DJ Mike Nice
    DJ Morse Code
    DJ Neta
    DJ Numark
    DJ Om
    DJ Pause
    DJ Platurn
    DJ Quest
    DJ Radar
    DJ Rhetmattic
    DJ Ross Hogg
    DJ Serge
    DJ Shortkut
    DJ Signify
    DJ Solomon
    DJ Spair
    DJ Spair
    DJ Spinna
    DJ Stef
    DJ Steve 1nder
    DJ Sure Shot
    DJ Ta-Shi
    DJ Teeko
    DJ Tonk
    DJ Vin Roc
    DJ Worldwise
    DJ Yoshito
    DJ Zatch
    DJ Zeph
    DJ Z-Trip
    DNAE Beats
    Doc Fu
    Double Life
    Dre Dog
    Dublin
    Dynamic
    E.M.C.H.
    Eminem
    Encyclopedia Brown
    F.S.C.
    Fast 1
    Fat Head
    Feenom Circle
    Felonious
    Fiyawata
    Foreign Legion
    Gang Starr
    Grand Agent
    Grand Phee
    Great Scott
    Guru
    Head Roc
    Heltah Skeltah
    Illa Dapted
    Jay-Z
    Jennifer Johns
    Jeru The Damaja
    J-Live
    J-One
    Jurassic 5
    Justin Torres
    Kamiko
    Kanser
    Kardinall Offishall
    Kene J.
    Kero One
    Killah Priest
    King One
    King Shameek
    King Solomon
    Kirb N??? Chris
    Kirby Dominant
    Kits N??? Pits
    Kostik
    KRS-ONE
    L.C.J.
    La Paz
    Last 2 Serve
    Last Poets
    Lateef The Truth Speaker
    Little Brother
    Live Human
    Lizz Fields
    Lords of the Underground
    L-Roneous
    Lunar Heights
    Lyrics Born
    Mac Mill
    Mad Hermit Project
    Marc Stretch
    Mavrik
    Mikah 9
    Mike Boo
    Mission
    Mista Sinista
    Mobb Deep
    MOOD
    Mr. E
    Mr. Lif
    Mudkids
    Mystikal
    Native Guns
    New Moon
    Nimaj
    Noble Society
    Non-Phixion
    Now On
    Outkast
    Paris
    Party Arty
    Paulie Rhyme
    Peanut Butter Wolf
    Phife Dawg
    Planet Asia
    PMD
    Poke The Martian
    Positively Red
    Prince Paul
    Pyschokinetics
    Radioactive
    Raks One
    Range
    Ras Ceylon
    Rasco
    Rasta Q-Tip
    Raw Soul
    RBX
    Remo Concious
    Ren The Vinyl Archaelogist
    Rhyson Hall
    Rich Ness
    Rob Swift
    Roc Raida
    Roc Roo
    Ruff Diamond
    Saafir
    Sacred Hoop
    Safarhi
    Saurus
    Secret Service
    Shape Shifters
    Shingo 2
    Shotgun Wedding Quintet
    Sisters Of The Underground
    Slick Rick
    Slump Lords
    Smooth Da Hustler
    Sol Rebelz
    Solaar
    Sole Vibe
    Soul Folk
    Spaztik MC
    Sporty Thieves
    Sub Atomic Soundsystem
    TD Camp
    The Alkaholiks
    The Artifacts
    The Automator
    The Bash Brothers
    The Boogie Shack
    The Coup
    The DJ Project
    The Frontline
    The Gravediggaz
    The Greens Crew
    The Jungle Brothers
    The Loot Pack
    The Pacifics
    The Runaways
    The Whomanakas
    The Whoridas
    Third Sight
    Toney Parka
    Toph One
    Tracy Lee
    Tre from Pharcyde
    Treasure Don
    Trendz of Culture
    Trigga Da Gambler
    Triple Threat
    Twisted Mind Kids
    Ugly Duckling
    Unified School District
    Unspoken Heard
    Vowel Movement
    Wise Intelligent
    Young Mars
    Zion-I

• Damn man, Michael told me about this months ago and I was like "damn...end of an era".

I still remember the first time I came on the show to spin. Being on that show was a rite of passage and such a huge deal to me. I also remember the hours I would spend of practicing a set when I would come and play.

• RawBRawB 67 Posts
    Big ups to all of you. Merry New Year. Thanks to King One (or whatever his alias is) for coming through the studios for the final broadcast...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/53463867f54f11e5/

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Many of years listening in on that show.Bummer, but at the same time, congrats on the new format too!!

• for real...Beatsauce was THE SHOW on sunday evenings for me during my few years in SF. hats off to yourself, rob, as well as justin and winston for holding it down for so many years.

-james

• Big ups to all of you. Merry New Year. Thanks to King One (or whatever his alias is) for coming through the studios for the final broadcast...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/53463867f54f11e5/

ha. Winnie killed it.

great last show. i was cooking and couldnt make it but listened to the radio while it was on. it was nice hearing all three of you on the show.

i was a little bummed out that they didnt let you go an extra hour or two and f*cking love letters came on!!... and not the good love letters show either.

• RawBRawB 67 Posts

i was a little bummed out that they didnt let you go an extra hour or two and f*cking love letters came on!!... and not the good love letters show either.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a good love letters show.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a good love letters show.

love letters on kmel with theo misuhara(sp?) that was the only dedication show to listen to in the 80s.

• RawBRawB 67 Posts
    Thanks for the good words, help, and support throughout the years. Here's my mix from the final show...

Download link...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/52jrba

DJ Raw B "Flashback to the 90's" Tracklisting[/b]

2Pac "Ambitionz As A Ridah"-1996
    Goodie Mob "Cell Therapy"-1995
    Blahzay Blahzay "Danger"-1996
    Downtown Science "Room To Breathe"-1991
    Common Sense "Ressurection" (Xtra-P Remix)-1995
    Jay-Z "Dead Presidents"-1996
    Raekwon "Ice Cream"-1995
    Saukrates "Father Time"-1995
    Outkast "Elevators (me & you)"-1996
    The Click "Hurricane"-1995
    A.Z. "Sugar Hill"-1995
    KRS-ONE "MCs Act Like They Don't Know"-1995
    The Artifacts "Flexi Wit Da Tech (nique)"-1994
    Mobb Deep "Temperature's Rising"-1995
    Nas "The World Is Yours" (Q-Tip Remix)-1994
    Pete Rock & CL Smooth "Main Ingredient"-1994
    Ahmad/Ras Kass/Saafir "Come Wit It"-1995
    MOOD "Karma"-1997
    Method Man/Redman "How High"-1995
    The Beatnuts "Superbad"-1994
    Mr. Voodoo "Lyrical Tactics"-1996
    Ultramagnetic MCs "One Two, One Two"-1993
    O.C. "Time's Up"-1994[/b]

All songs are CLEAN. Mix aired December 28th, 2008 on KUSF's BeatSauce final broadcast...the 14th Annual "Ol Skool New Year Show 12-28-08"

Happy New Year!!!