cats + records

2»

Comments

• PS The best thing to train cats with is a squirt gun/spray bottle. If you catch them give them a squirt and they'll get over it quick. Obviously you have to catch them in the act or they won't make the connection, but once they realize an action gets them soaked they stop. (At least when your around).

yeah my ex-gf's cat is dumb as shit but even he understands the squirt bottle.

the water bottle doesn't even faze this guy:

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Well I have a cat (pictured below, sorry about the shameless promotion, it's the back of the current flyer) and although she is a total bitch sometimes, she never messes with my records.

But here's a pointer to prevent cats from clawing the spines of LP's:

DONT DONT DONT buy those cardboard trays from the pet store for cats to scratch on.
    I mean the ones that are like a shallow box with cross sections of plain corrugated cardboard. If you have those get rid of them because you may be actaully training your cat to claw cardboard which will eventually move from the tray to your records.

Buy them a carpet post instead or something that isn't EXACTLY like record spines.

Peace

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

DONT DONT DONT buy those cardboard trays from the pet store for cats to scratch on.
    I mean the ones that are like a shallow box with cross sections of plain corrugated cardboard. If you have those get rid of them because you may be actaully training your cat to claw cardboard which will eventually move from the tray to your records.

Ha!! I totally got one of those to give her an alternative to my records, but I can see where you are coming from...and I realize now that around the time I dumped the cardboard box scratcher, is when she finally chilled on trashing my records! Man, they love those cardboard joints, though...she used to just lounge on top of it like it was a Magic Carpet or sumthin'...

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Cats... are gay.

• I'll buy your cat

You guys are so not helping the stereotypical record collector image right now.

"Here's your raers, sir. That's quite a urine odor you have there. No, thanks, I'll pass on checking out the break - I'll just be leaving now."[/b]

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    You guys are so not helping the stereotypical record collector image right now.

Good thing I didn't mention the ELEVEN cats in our crib, huh.

Unfortunately, though all of them were spayed & neutered as soon as possible, they still spray to mark territory, and that includes IN THE HOUSE. That's why a) we have to do a massive housecleaning every 4 weeks and b) all my records are in a room whose door is always closed.

EXCEPT for that time when wifey woke me up one morning saying "Uh, I'm not joking about this, and don't be mad, but your record room door was open when I woke up." It was real fun cleaning up the TWELVE places that the cats had peed in there, and yes, some were on records. Thank goodness for plastic sleeves though - no serious damage was done.

Still, I love them cats anyway. They's good people.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    my cat loves to sit on the mixer (warm) but she knows it's bad and when i come home she always jumps off. she only does it when it's left on so that's kind of my fault. i yell at her - no way i'm spraying water on my mixer. she will also step on the start button of my turntable accidently, then when the slipmat starts turning she plays with it until she knocks it off on the floor. same with our copier - she always steps on the button and copies blank sheets of paper. at least she knows not to scratch my records but she loves to sleep on open crates and i'm always wiping cat hair off my records when i play out

you know who will really destroy a record collection though - babies & toddlers. they'll fuck up your needles, too

• haha, I think your cat might have a place in Quannum.

http://s16.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1K9YL09OBZZIU3EAE2RCQBEAYG

• ericeric 155 Posts
    i got two cats, one love to scratch and the other like to sleep on my mpc,climbing my records ,the doors, they even climb the shower.
    ..but i love them.

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    i have two cats but they are not aloud near the turntables. Cats apparently hate citrus so rub some lemon on your records turntable mixer etc and the cats should stay away plus youll be soooooooooooo FFFREEESSSHHH

• i have found that a can of compressed air works better than the spray bottle with my cat. he REALLY hates it. i bet a few blasts from one of those air horn cans would work wonders too, although i bet your neighbors wouldn't like it.

i have found that a can of compressed air works better than the spray bottle with my cat. he REALLY hates it. i bet a few blasts from one of those air horn cans would work wonders too, although i bet your neighbors wouldn't like it.

This little guy works wonders too

• I'll buy your cat

$40,000*

*That's a Bubbles reference for all you Trailer Park Boys fans

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

EXCEPT for that time when wifey woke me up one morning saying "Uh, I'm not joking about this, and don't be mad, but your record room door was open when I woke up." It was real fun cleaning up the TWELVE places that the cats had peed in there, and yes, some were on records. Thank goodness for plastic sleeves though - no serious damage was done.

Oh the horror!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    loves to sleep on open crates and i'm always wiping cat hair off my records when i play out

Yep.

I have had many spines shredded. With the expedits, I block the spines with a record facing out, but with the other shelves, I block the lower levels with crates and flight cases.
    One of my cats sits on top of the speakers, I think he enjoys the, ahem, vibrations.
    When I'm packing my turntables, I turn around to put in the player and inevitably, there is a cat sitting in the case looking up at me like "what's your problem?".
    They hate it when I dance around, they cower and scatter. I would like to say this is not a comment on my dance skills - I am not like Elaine or anything.
    They start running around like crazy when anything remotely dissonant is on.
    If I spray the cats with water, I'll be spraying records and stereo equipment - don't want to do that.

• When I'm packing my turntables, I turn around to put in the player and inevitably, there is a cat sitting in the case looking up at me like "what's your problem?".

Uah cats and their misbehaviour to climb into anything :

It was about 3 o clock in the morning and I just began my driving to a record
    fair in Austria (about 400 km) with 12 crates of records in my car.

I stopped at a fuel station and after I payed for some reason I stopped and thought "open the backdoor of your car"

I really don??t know why, but it did and suddenly I see the close bag on top of the crates moving. "Wtf ????" I opened and just had susi jumping into my arms.

She was there the whole time in the closed bag when I brought my records to the car and didn??t give any sound to let me know that she was there. I don??t want to know how many times I put the bag into different corners of the car to get the crates in.

No idea what happened to her if I had not realized she was inside the bag until I arrived in Austria but I bet it wouldn??t have been good to her health.

Seb

• MeepMeep 320 Posts