"Rock Music"

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
I'm seriously out of touch with any damn thing came out in the past 5 years(really most of this whole decade), but i'm kinda burnt out on the hip hop/dance/funkier side of things and need to change gears. Just so you know, I don't have to dork out on overly technical bullshit..simple melodic stuff is fine..but I can get down with the faster thrash/speed metal as well. I also don't care if they are considered a "hipster" band and it's not "cool" to admit to listening/liking them. I did see Howl a few months ago and it was a good show. Was that last TV on the Radio record as good as the Cookie Mountain joint? That record is an all time favorite of mine. What should an admittedly disconnected rock dude be checking out?

Comments

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I got a lot of good ideas from a href="http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=1211473&page=0" target="_blank"1this thread/a1 a couple months back....

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    b, 21b, 21b, 21f*cking Fire b/w LOLz.

• Well, here's stuff that came out this year that I like that could be considered "rock":b, 21b, 21Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekendb, 21My Morning Jacket - Evil Urgesb, 21Blitzen Trapper - Furrb, 21Kings Of Leon - Only By The Nightb, 21TV On The Radio - Dear Scienceb, 21Ting Tings - We Started Nothingb, 21Dr. Dog - Fate

• the new tv on the radio album is great. i think it's better than "return to cookie mountain." sound-wise, it's a logical extension of "return to cookie mountain." it's like the band was working ideas out on that album that they were able to fully explore on "dear science."b, 21b, 21other "rock"--my friends tend to call me out on what my idea of "rock" is albums--from this year that i have really enjoyed.b, 21b, 21no age--nouns b, 21b, 21

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I could use some pointers on somewhat more technically accomplished rock. It doesn't have to be all crazy math rock with time signature changes every other bar, but just something that's a little bit more complex than hammering four chords (not that I don't like that stuff too). Not just wanky solos, but something on the Slint side of things. Don't know if that makes sense.

• the new Kings of Leon sucks lots of balls b, 21b, 21 - - but everyone in the world should buy the WHITE DENIM lp:b, 21b, 21 img src="http://www.beatmag.it/assets/recensioni/white denim.jpg"1

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Well, here's stuff that came out this year that I like that could be considered "rock":
    b, 21
    b, 21Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    b, 21My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
    b, 21Blitzen Trapper - Furr
    b, 21Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night
    b, 21TV On The Radio - Dear Science
    b, 21Ting Tings - We Started Nothing
    b, 21Dr. Dog - Fate
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Just tried checking out Vampire Weekend, but not my thing. Moving down the list...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Zeke

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I could use some pointers on somewhat more technically accomplished rock. It doesn't have to be all crazy math rock with time signature changes every other bar, but just something that's a little bit more complex than hammering four chords (not that I don't like that stuff too). Not just wanky solos, but something on the Slint side of things. Don't know if that makes sense.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Grails, Unwound, Drive Like Jehu, Zu, UT, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Thee Silver Mt. Zion, Uzeda, Mogwai, My Dad is Dead, Karate, Lowb, 21b, 21

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I can't cosine this enough. King Khan & BBQ show is a blast live. b, 21b, 21Though King Khan & the Shrines put on probably the best show I've ever seen at Cafe Nine in New Haven not too long ago. Khan spent most of the show standing on the bar getting beers, taking sips, then throwing the rest at the crowd and asking for another. He screamed things like "DANCE YOU WHITE MOTHER F*CKERS ... DANCE!!!" I've never seen that little place rage that hard. And, of course, the music is incredible. Pure rock 'em sock 'em RnB, gospel, funk mixed with some undeniable Sun Ra influence. Great show. See them if you get the chance.b, 21b, 21It's funny, I hung out with Khan for a while up in Northampton a couple of nights previous and he's a very easy going laid back guy. But put him on a stage and he turns into a raging animal.

Yup, there live show is incredible. Expect wigs, sweat, nudity, voodoo and beer being spit everywhere.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Zeke
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21This made me put Dirty Sanchez in the CD player for the first time in ages...... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerbang.gif" alt="" 21

• I dig La Otracina and the Psychic Paramount.

• THE KILLS are my current favouritesb, 21b, 21

• Wowzer!! Just realised how totally out of touch i am with this ish too- still listening to q.o.t.s.a, r.a.t.m and faith no more on a regular!!haha!!b, 21liked older kings of leon, some muse, all interpol, black keys, a lil cold war kids....

• That King Khan video/song is dope.

• my favorite rock/rockish albums this yearb, 21b, 21Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Primary Colorsb, 21The Dutchess & The Duke - She's The Dutchess, He's The Dukeb, 21Ty Segall - s/tb, 21Times New Viking - Rip It Offb, 21b, 21I can't stand TVOTR - maybe I just don't get it.b, 21Dudes who harmonize with themselves and soundb, 21like Peter Gabriel produced by Trent Reznor.b, 21greeeeeeeat.b, 21No Age needs a bass player.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I can't stand TVOTR - maybe I just don't get it.
    b, 21Dudes who harmonize with themselves and sound
    b, 21like Peter Gabriel produced by Trent Reznor.
    b, 21greeeeeeeat.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Maybe you don't get it, maybe I don't. I like rock songs/albums that hook me in on the first listen..and that album definitely did that. Of course dude sounds like Peter Gabriel..but it works for me.

• I think it's just that I require a certain amount of fun in my rock n roll...b, 21and no one ever accused those dudes of being the life of the party.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21The Dutchess & The Duke -
    She's The Dutchess, He's The Dukeb, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21YES!b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="http://static.boomkat.com/images/146864/333.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21this album is killer imo

• I toured with TVOTR for two years, have worked in their studio forever, and still feel like the new record is garbage. They are for sure my doods but even a select few band members acknowledge the record was just thrown together. I could elaborate forever but I'll just keep it at that.b, 21b, 21CPC Gangbangsb, 21Ex humansb, 21Celebrationb, 21The Ohseesb, 21Coachwhipsb, 21The Black Lipsb, 21Deer Hunterb, 21Live Fast Dieb, 21Golden Error

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21the new Kings of Leon sucks lots of balls
    b, 21
    b, 21 - - but everyone in the world should buy the WHITE DENIM lp:
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21my favorite rock record in the past couple of years.b, 21It finally got an official US release on TopSpin/Transmission recently.b, 21top notch live show as well.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I toured with TVOTR for two years, have worked in their studio forever, and still feel like the new record is garbage. They are for sure my doods but even a select few band members acknowledge the record was just thrown together. I could elaborate forever but I'll just keep it at that.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21The Black Lips
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That sucks to here. I almost felt like no matter what those dudes did for the new lp, in no way could it hold up to the previous effort. Maybe that's why I never checked on it. And I like the Black Lips, as well..but I am also bias to dudes doing their thing from the South. I need to check out more Deerhunter..aren't they from Atl, too?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This thread is f*cking depressing. I know better rock than this came out this year.b, 21b, 21- spidey

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Go check out anything with this dude in it.b, 21b, 21 img src="http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/e0a5/music_set2-1.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21a href="" target="_blank"1 21b, 21Michio Kurihara is excellent. b, 21b, 21- spidey

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    a href="http://www.divshare.com/download/6130536-15e" target="_blank"1DivShare File - 90 bpm - Queens of the Stone Age - I wann.mp3/a1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I toured with TVOTR for two years, have worked in their studio forever, and still feel like the new record is garbage. They are for sure my doods but even a select few band members acknowledge the record was just thrown together. I could elaborate forever but I'll just keep it at that.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21The Black Lips
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21That sucks to here. I almost felt like no matter what those dudes did for the new lp, in no way could it hold up to the previous effort. Maybe that's why I never checked on it. And I like the Black Lips, as well..but I am also bias to dudes doing their thing from the South. I need to check out more Deerhunter..aren't they from Atl, too?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 Deerhunter are also form Atl. Atlanta and Memphis are doing great things lately dirty rock related.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21

• I prefer my rock with a little roll, but if you've really been out of the game for that long I would recommend the Strokes (last album's not that great), the White Stripes, Kings of Leon(pretty much suck since they started wearing $4000 jeans) and Franz Ferdinand...only recent bands worth my money. Not exactly ground-breaking suggestions but my 2 cents.