So i tried to read the Watchmen.

2»

Comments

• i think the watchmen is brilliant. when it came out in the 80s there was nothing like it. so much has been lifted from there over the years.b, 21b, 21i am concerned that the film cannot compare

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I tend to find that the kind of people who aggrandize moore as some kind of visionary storyteller are the kind who have never read a book without pictures in.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21rather surprised u are not feeling the philosophy -- its right up yr alleyb, 21b, 21b, 21also this thread is dumb

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21You know he could just invent a new woman just like the one he had or better.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21It just ain't the same though.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blap.gif" alt="" 21

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21i think the watchmen is brilliant. when it came out in the 80s there was nothing like it. so much has been lifted from there over the years.
    b, 21
    b, 21i am concerned that the film cannot compare
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21THis is probably why I can't get into it. I guess at the time it was awesome. but i still can't help but feel that if it was THAT great it would have somehow stood the test of time and still be awesome. but it didn't just bore me, it actually kind of irritated me. the pirate gag was not clever enough to keep going and going and going.... actually the inserts were more entertaining to me, like the book excerpts and stuff.

• not everyone likes the same thing, but its awesome i read it when it came out and i can read it today and still like it... i wish they didnt make comics like this and v for vendetta into movies so i could have the comic to myself and the few other comic-nerds...

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21i think the watchmen is brilliant. when it came out in the 80s there was nothing like it. so much has been lifted from there over the years.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21THis is probably why I can't get into it. I guess at the time it was awesome. but i still can't help but feel that if it was THAT great it would have somehow stood the test of time and still be awesome. but it didn't just bore me, it actually kind of irritated me. the pirate gag was not clever enough to keep going and going and going.... actually the inserts were more entertaining to me, like the book excerpts and stuff.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21I think this has to do with the passage of time, and how the book's basic conceit has been reworked countless times since it's publication.b, 21It's like how amazing I thought 'Star Wars' was when I first saw it, and thirty-odd years on I look at it and have to remember how much of what I dislike about it now has little to do with the movie itself, but rather with the many ways that it has been stolen from, regurgitated, and "sampled" over the years.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Watchmen is one of those major works in modern culture that has been so mythologized that it's become impossible for anyone to form a genuine opinion on it.
    b, 21
    b, 211) I enjoy this
    b, 212) I've been told to enjoy this
    b, 213) I am wrong for not enjoying this.
    b, 214) Based on its sheer popularity I refuse to enjoy this
    b, 21
    b, 21Call it the Verocai Effect.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Maybe to many, but I'd only really heard of it peripherally in passing. So, I saw it on a friend's shelf the other day, borrowed it, and read it in one sitting last Saturday afternoon. I liked it. It didn't blow my mind out the back of my skull, but I thought it was well-wrought, even by modern novel standards. Near the end, I kept asking myself if Neil Young's band was actually called Pale Horse in 1985, or if they ripped off the band from the Watchmen, until I remembered his band was called Crazy Horse. Shame too???I thought it worked really well as a double reference to both a modern band and the four horsemen of the apocalypse, but it was really only a single entendre.

• I was going to try to defend Watchmen as a complex work, balh blah blah but then I remembered that passionately defending a comic-book on a message board is a tacit admission of dorkiness. Of course, posting on any messageboard probably is too.b, 21That said, you diss the Watchmen, you diss yourself.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21THis is probably why I can't get into it. I guess at the time it was awesome. but i still can't help but feel that if it was THAT great it would have somehow stood the test of time and still be awesome. but it didn't just bore me, it actually kind of irritated me. the pirate gag was not clever enough to keep going and going and going.... actually the inserts were more entertaining to me, like the book excerpts and stuff.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I think this has to do with the passage of time, and how the book's basic conceit has been reworked countless times since it's publication.
    b, 21It's like how amazing I thought
    'Star Wars' 'Hidden Fortress' was when I first saw it, and thirty-odd years on I look at it and have to remember how much of what I dislike about it now has little to do with the movie itself, but rather with the many ways that it has been stolen from, regurgitated, and "sampled" over the years. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Cleaned that up for you.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21the "Dark friggit"
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Streets is laughing.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Dark Knight Returns came out at the same time and are very close to each other (gov't regulation on superheroes, cold war escalation, apocalyptic, etc. - I much prefer DKR though since it feels like it ultimately does more than just critique superheroes like Watchmen), and both owe more than a nod to Squadron Supreme.

• i think the watchmen is brilliant. when it came out in the 80s there was nothing like it. so much has been lifted from there over the years.

i am concerned that the film cannot compare

Dark Knight Returns came out at the same time and are very close to each other (gov't regulation on superheroes, cold war escalation, apocalyptic, etc. - I much prefer DKR though since it feels like it ultimately does more than just critique superheroes like Watchmen), and both owe more than a nod to Squadron Supreme.

U think Frank Miller was directly influenced by that Squadron Supreme Mini-series?

Or was "shaking things" up in the game had just become more commonplace?

• I diddnt like it either. I think Alan Moore is overhyped.

movie looks cool though, ill give it that.

• I diddnt like it either. I think Alan Moore is overhyped.

movie looks cool though, ill give it that.

Did you read The Dark Knight/Watchmen when it came out?

• read a reissue?

NEVER THAT, SON

• thropethrope 750 Posts

That said, you diss the Watchmen, you diss yourself.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm kind of excited about the movie even though I never finished the book. The book was so boring but the movie looks cool, so who knows?

Sometimes movies are better than the books that they are based on. Example- Passion of the Christ!