So i tried to read the Watchmen.

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Jesus, what a bore. I tried struggling though it and I have finally given up. I just can't care. Although I sorta wonder what happened to that pirate guy, but not enough to actually finish the book. I'm pretty close to the end but I just can't do it. too boring.b, 21b, 21the movie looks kinda cool though.b, 21b, 21b, 21after all the hype i can't beleive this sucked so bad. i don't know why people have a hard-on for this.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21balls. its all balls.

Comments

• It's really cool how you don't like things that other people do.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    It's not for everyone, but a great read the second time as you begin to notice the different storytelling devices. I think a lot of people feel this way about the book now because now so many of the techniques have been duplicated.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21It's really cool how you don't like things that other people do.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Almost cool enough to start my own blog.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Almost.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Almost cool enough to start my own blog.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Nah, getting paid to write about the things you do like isn't nearly as rewarding as not getting paid to write about the things you don't.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Its a bit overrated. He's no Grant Morrison.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Nah, getting paid to write about the things you do like isn't nearly as rewarding as not getting paid to write about the things you don't.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21How rewarding did that last post just feel? Right now this is my 3rd post in this thread to your 2nd, however your ratio of reward is higher than mine, even though the specific ratio was not specified so our level of reward could be even right now. This of course don't not include monetary reward, although I am getting paid right now, it is not to write about what I don't like - and yet I did it anyways and will still get paid anyways, so while I am not getting paid specifically to do this we might even out, again, if only monetarily. Now if you only get paid to write about what you do like, and you have not expressed a like for anything yet in this thread, then I start to come out the winner. And since you have hinted at dislike, you might be now in the red, in which case I am definitely the winner.b, 21b, 21With your next post we may come closer to our reward value, or in fact the divide might even become greater. Are you willing to risk all that reward?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Is it true that "I get paid to blog" t-shirts only come in Extra-Small?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21*** You are ignoring this user ***
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Whats more street? b, 21b, 21A blog named Cocaine Blunts?b, 21b, 21or A user name that is an obscure reference to Mr. Show?b, 21b, 21b, 21the answer is that they are both very street.b, 21b, 21b, 21sesame street.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Anyways, back to the watchmen, I kept waiting for it to get good, kept waiting for the build-up, waiting for where the plot really takes off, and now the book is almost over. Pretty much nothing has happened except a couple of fat old farts putting on goofy looking costumes and then the blue guy gets sad and goes to mars, and the owl can only get wood when he's wearing that stupid ass costume, man the whole thing is so corny.b, 21b, 21batman year 1 was wayyyyy better than this. i don't get what the fascination is with this. i kept waiting for the story to start and now its almost over! this is bullcrap.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21*** You are ignoring this user ***
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/weaksauce.gif" alt="" 21

• I actually loved reading watchmen, but couldn't really F*ck with Dark Knight Returns. Not saying that to auto-eroticize on blasphemy, but it just didn't do it for me. Watchmen frickin' sweet tho.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Anyways, back to the watchmen, I kept waiting for it to get good, kept waiting for the build-up, waiting for where the plot really takes off, and now the book is almost over. Pretty much nothing has happened except a couple of fat old farts putting on goofy looking costumes and then the blue guy gets sad and goes to mars, and the owl can only get wood when he's wearing that stupid ass costume, man the whole thing is so corny.
    b, 21
    b, 21batman year 1 was wayyyyy better than this. i don't get what the fascination is with this. i kept waiting for the story to start and now its almost over! this is bullcrap.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21I loved Watchmen, but I've never been a fan of traditional "superhero" comics. I wonder how much of what I liked had to do with the fact that it kind of poked holes in almost all of the classic comics ideas. b, 21I though Dr Manhattan was an amazing character.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I agree with the original poster.b, 21b, 21b, 21About it being boring that its. Not sure about the rest of all what ever that was, reward ratios, blogs and stuff, maybe if you could illustrate it with some muscular dudes wearing lycra, I could get into it. (ayo)

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 I wonder how much of what I liked had to do with the fact that it kind of poked holes in almost all of the classic comics ideas.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That's Alan Moore's schtick. He's smart, tho. He rode that pony to a pile of cash.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I though Dr Manhattan was an amazing character.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Nah, getting paid to write about the things you do like isn't nearly as rewarding as not getting paid to write about the things you don't.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21How rewarding did that last post just feel? Right now this is my 3rd post in this thread to your 2nd, however your ratio of reward is higher than mine, even though the specific ratio was not specified so our level of reward could be even right now. This of course don't not include monetary reward, although I am getting paid right now, it is not to write about what I don't like - and yet I did it anyways and will still get paid anyways, so while I am not getting paid specifically to do this we might even out, again, if only monetarily. Now if you only get paid to write about what you do like, and you have not expressed a like for anything yet in this thread, then I start to come out the winner. And since you have hinted at dislike, you might be now in the red, in which case I am definitely the winner.
    b, 21
    b, 21With your next post we may come closer to our reward value, or in fact the divide might even become greater. Are you willing to risk all that reward?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21this was f*cking awesome!b, 21b, 21GaryBull I think I love and not in a platonic way

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I though Dr Manhattan was an amazing character.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 yeah but that dude can make a whole castle out of mars dirt but he's crying over pussy? You know he could just invent a new woman just like the one he had or better. He has all these powers but he is always crying. moping around on mars, come on.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21You know he could just invent a new woman just like the one he had or better.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21It just ain't the same though.b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.dotpod.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/orient-doll.jpg"1

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    uh, it's a comic bookb, 21b, 21I read it when I was 14 & enjoyed it alot

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If U read it when i dropped and got the context and climate it was done in, you might have different thoughts.b, 21b, 21It doesnt read as a action-packed Superhero story. b, 21b, 21The writers were on some other shit, which helped stretch the genre's possiblities.b, 21b, 21Recognize.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    it's boring to you because it's kind of like reading a blueprint as this stage.every comic after this took it's lead, even dark knight returns/year one.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    at first I thought Dizzybull was affecting a contrived anti-intellectual stanceb, 21b, 21now I realize he's actually just an idiot

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 obscure reference to Mr. Show?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21If you were really street your handle would be Fartin' Gary.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21If U read it when i dropped and got the context and climate it was done in, you might have different thoughts.
    b, 21
    b, 21It doesnt read as a action-packed Superhero story.
    b, 21
    b, 21The writers were on some other shit, which helped stretch the genre's possiblities.
    b, 21
    b, 21Recognize.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I prefered Miracle/Marvelman. He did that a few years earlier, dealt with similar themes, & laid the groundwork for Watchmen. His Jasper's Warp storyline in the UK Captain Britian mags also had some stuff in it that found its way to watchmen.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    b, 21b, 21Watchmen is one of those major works in modern culture that has been so mythologized that it's become impossible for anyone to form a genuine opinion on it. b, 21b, 211) I enjoy thisb, 212) I've been told to enjoy thisb, 213) I am wrong for not enjoying this.b, 214) Based on its sheer popularity I refuse to enjoy thisb, 21b, 21Call it the Verocai Effect.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Call it the Verocai Effect.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21haha~!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Hmmm.... You didn't try to get all interlectual and just read the "Dark friggit" pages instead of looking at the pictures? Wow, I could have swore Freddy Krueger wrote that horsecrap to get a motherf*cker to sleep. (Assuming he can type with those gloves).b, 21b, 21Plus, with the original, you had to wait for each episode which kind of worked better - otherwise it's like being presented with all 5 courses of a meal at once.b, 21b, 21It's a little light on banjos too. So fair call.

• I tend to find that the kind of people who aggrandize moore as some kind of visionary storyteller are the kind who have never read a book without pictures in.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I tend to find that the kind of people who aggrandize moore as some kind of visionary storyteller are the kind who have never read a book without pictures in.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21HOW PROFOUNDb, 21b, 21 img src="http://cjkennedy.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/transformersnerd375.jpg"1