Ask me about German records pt. 4

2»

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Clue me as to the Peter Herbolzheimer heat.

• How do you feel about Max Greger?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Clue me as to the Peter Herbolzheimer heat.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Certain Lions & Tigersb, 21Waitaminuteb, 21Wise Openb, 21Orchestra on Panther and the one on WPLb, 21Live im Onkel P??s / Catfishb, 21b, 21those are essential

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21How do you feel about Max Greger?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i feel okay

• Is it true that before dudes like Rainer Truby discovered MPS records you could find those all over the place, especially in Villingen were the MPS studio was located?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Is it true that before dudes like Rainer Truby discovered MPS records you could find those all over the place, especially in Villingen were the MPS studio was located?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i doubt it. and i doubt that rainer tr??by discovered mps. i remember that some stores sold mps records when i was in elementary school. i went there on my way home to check for radio plays / children's plays on cassette. they had mps records. b, 21b, 21you can't really find the good lps here. you could never easily find a mike nock or dee dee, barry & the movements in germany. villingen is a small place. i've never been there. ask frank. he's from villingen. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Is it true that before dudes like Rainer Truby discovered MPS records you could find those all over the place, especially in Villingen were the MPS studio was located?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21rainer is featured on the mps movie, i think that says enough. b, 21its true that rainer re-discovered some of the better mps titles such as smoke, the nathan davis things etc, and yes, being a friend of him and having had long discussions about "back in the days" - there was a time when you could even find the good mps titles in the dollar bins. he was also the one to discover the kitty winter record and he told me that at times he had 10-15 copies of that, all found somewhere in the bins.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21rainer is featured on the mps movie, i think that says enough.
    b, 21its true that rainer re-discovered some of the better mps titles such as smoke, the nathan davis things etc, and yes, being a friend of him and having had long discussions about "back in the days" - there was a time when you could even find the good mps titles in the dollar bins. he was also the one to discover the kitty winter record and he told me that at times he had 10-15 copies of that, all found somewhere in the bins.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i can assure you that rainer wasn't the first one to know about the MPS stuff. records like smoke, mike knock, rokovic, dee dee have always been sought after. and i'm not so sure about kitty winter. that one has been in peoples collections way before the hype. he made it popular, because he's popular and he got the media attention. that's it.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21This has been a guilty pleasure of mine since high school. I was always a sucker for the rhodes. You?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    object width="425" height="344"1
    param name="movie" value=""1
    /param1
    param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1
    /param1
    param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i like their early recordings. i know germans will never understand understand that, but some of their songs are still the most creative and best produced hip hop that has been released in this country. much better than 99% of the recent rediscoveries by people who were ten times as corny as the fantastischen vier.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21its true that rainer re-discovered some of the better mps titles such as smoke, the nathan davis things etc, and yes, being a friend of him and having had long discussions about "back in the days" - there was a time when you could even find the good mps titles in the dollar bins. he was also the one to discover the kitty winter record and he told me that at times he had 10-15 copies of that, all found somewhere in the bins.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21i can assure you that rainer wasn't the first one to know about the MPS stuff. records like smoke, mike knock, rokovic, dee dee have always been sought after. and i'm not so sure about kitty winter. that one has been in peoples collections way before the hype. he made it popular, because he's popular and he got the media attention. that's it.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21well j*n, naturally, the first people that knew about those records would be those who bought em when they were released. and sure, i dont doubt that there have been others seeking for those records. its just that people like rainer, paul & gilles were the ones to "discover" these records for a mass audience, like you say. b, 21but that doesnt mean that these records have always been expensive. b, 21I know several guys from the freiburg/strasbourg area who found multiples of f.e. the smoke records in the bins even around the year 2000.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21i can assure you that rainer wasn't the first one to know about the MPS stuff. records like smoke, mike knock, rokovic, dee dee have always been sought after. and i'm not so sure about kitty winter. that one has been in peoples collections way before the hype. he made it popular, because he's popular and he got the media attention. that's it.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21well j*n, naturally, the first people that knew about those records would be those who bought em when they were released. and sure, i dont doubt that there have been others seeking for those records. its just that people like rainer, paul & gilles were the ones to "discover" these records for a mass audience, like you say.
    b, 21but that doesnt mean that these records have always been expensive.
    b, 21I know several guys from the freiburg/strasbourg area who found multiples of f.e. the smoke records in the bins even around the year 2000.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That's what I meant as well. When those Talkin Jazz and Mojo samplers came out, it was people like Rainer truby who made the recorddiggers aware of these artists and records. From that point on these titles became harder to find and the prices went up. It seems to me not too many people cared for this label before.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    so i will never ever find a copy of smoke in the dollar bins again? thanks to rainer tr??by and the mojo guys? that's fucked up!

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21so i will never ever find a copy of smoke in the dollar bins again? thanks to rainer tr??by and the mojo guys? that's fucked up!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21in fact, i found a copy of the second smoke lp in the dollar bin this year,b, 21as well as the certain lions & tigers and other good mps titles. b, 21and its not like these guys still find those records for cheap. so thats some kind of justice, no? b, 21what i can say for sure is that german 60s jazz like joki freund, michael naura etc have all been very expensive in the late 80s and 90s already. b, 21rare jazz titles have always been in demand. but smoke or especially herbolzheimer, rokovic etc was not real "collectors" jazz till some people made it popular in the dancefloor-jazz/phusion scene.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21so i will never ever find a copy of smoke in the dollar bins again? thanks to rainer tr??by and the mojo guys? that's fucked up!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21in fact, i found a copy of the second smoke lp in the dollar bin this year,
    b, 21as well as the certain lions & tigers and other good mps titles.
    b, 21and its not like these guys still find those records for cheap. so thats some kind of justice, no?
    b, 21what i can say for sure is that german 60s jazz like joki freund, michael naura etc have all been very expensive in the late 80s and 90s already.
    b, 21rare jazz titles have always been in demand. but smoke or especially herbolzheimer, rokovic etc was not real "collectors" jazz till some people made it popular in the dancefloor-jazz/phusion scene.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yeah. i know. b, 21b, 21thing is that there have always been collectros looking for good jazz and rock. i remember that most rare krautrock/german psych records were much much cheaper ten years ago. even at well known record stores. i picked up stuff like the first motherhood lp for less than 10 deutsche mark 8 years ago in stuttgart. i didn't wait for someone to hype it. there have always been people who bought good records upon a quick listen. no matter if ithey heard about them before or not. even kitty winter or smoke. who wouldn't buy those records for cheap? would any serious collector leave them behind? just because they never heard of them?b, 21b, 21maybe tr??by and others made some records more popluar amongst that highly suspect secene. but people who have been collecting records before already knew. most people know what kind of music they want and they don't really care about hypes and things.b, 21b, 21i know what you mean though. much respect to those DJs and musicians. they built up pretty impressive careers.

• So, what about the good german records that don't demand top dollar? Could you recommend something in the vein of the f*ckin' scorcher I dug this summer in MTL (?) :b, 21b, 21 img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/3118512698_78f74bd9b7_o.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21it's got some hot covers and heavy instro funk/psych numbers. My wifes a spracker and thought it was hot, though the lyrics were limited.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21So, what about the good german records that don't demand top dollar? Could you recommend something in the vein of the f*ckin' scorcher I dug this summer in MTL (?) :
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21it's got some hot covers and heavy instro funk/psych numbers. My wifes a spracker and thought it was hot, though the lyrics were limited.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21this record has some decent moments, but i m looking to trade it, if anyone wants it, holla. in exchange for any solid jazz title in the 25$ region. b, 21the problem with it is that once you understand the lyrics, you ll be ashamed to own it. b, 21but thats a problem i have with most german lyrics. grope will probably like it though.

• I was wondering if any of the german cats on here know what the deal is with that Bodybuilding track by Werner Muller Orchestra. How weird is that track?!b, 21It's on The Strip Goes on.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I was wondering if any of the german cats on here know what the deal is with that Bodybuilding track by Werner Muller Orchestra. How weird is that track?!
    b, 21It's on The Strip Goes on.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21i know it, but i never saw the record in the bins around here. not very common i guess. problem is that there are hundreds of german orchestra records, like james last, and most of them suck donkey a**. there might be more good tracks like this but u would have to listen through all that crappy sh*t.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I was wondering if any of the german cats on here know what the deal is with that Bodybuilding track by Werner Muller Orchestra. How weird is that track?!
    b, 21It's on The Strip Goes on.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21what do you mean? b, 21b, 21the strip goes on is really hard to find in germany. was it a german pressing? i'm not even sure of that. i've never seen it over here. b, 21i still look for some orchestra/easy listening records that shouldn't really be that hard to find. when llmod1 was here, he pulled out the ken james lp at a local flea market for 1 euro. while i have never really seen it anywhere except eBay.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21So, what about the good german records that don't demand top dollar? Could you recommend something in the vein of the f*ckin' scorcher I dug this summer in MTL (?) :
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21it's got some hot covers and heavy instro funk/psych numbers. My wifes a spracker and thought it was hot, though the lyrics were limited.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i really like that record. the lyrics are kinda cool. not that bad. others in the same vein:b, 21b, 21the second modern soul band lpb, 21klaus lenz big band on muzab, 21klaus lenz big band on amigab, 21uve schikorab, 21uschi br??ningb, 21daisy doorb, 21liesbeth listb, 21manfred krugb, 21fredy brockb, 21messengers on red pointb, 21roundhouseb, 21tyree glennb, 21b, 21b, 21there are many good records. most are schlagerisch though. i think the modern soul band lp is one of the best german funky soul jazz records you can buy.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 the problem with it is that once you understand the lyrics, you ll be ashamed to own it.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That's why us foreigners like it...I only catch a hint of the language, and am not distracted from the groove. I feel the same about Portuguese... I'll never learn it cuz I'd be forced to gut most of my brazillian records.b, 21b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21the second modern soul band lp
    b, 21klaus lenz big band on muza
    b, 21klaus lenz big band on amiga
    b, 21uve schikora
    b, 21uschi br??ning
    b, 21daisy door
    b, 21liesbeth list
    b, 21manfred krug
    b, 21fredy brock
    b, 21messengers on red point
    b, 21roundhouse
    b, 21tyree glenn
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Noted, danke shon!

• hi grope,b, 21b, 21have you ever found a copy of the "yggdrasil" 7"......?b, 21b, 21by the way, i have an "orch. werner m??ller" for trade

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21hi grope,
    b, 21
    b, 21have you ever found a copy of the "yggdrasil" 7"......?
    b, 21
    b, 21by the way, i have an "orch. werner m??ller" for trade
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yggdrasWHAT?b, 21b, 21what is it?

• subsub 311 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Clue me as to the Peter Herbolzheimer heat.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Certain Lions & Tigers
    b, 21Waitaminute
    b, 21Wise Open
    b, 21Orchestra on Panther and the one on WPL
    b, 21Live im Onkel P??s / Catfish
    b, 21
    b, 21those are essential
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21listening to wide open right now. i had it since half a year but up till now never player it. didn't know it's that good...

• Do you know this 7" and is it a dollar(Euro) bin record in Germany?b, 21b, 21object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"1param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=6121775-656" 21embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=6121775-656" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"1/embed1b, 21b, 21Can you recommend any other 7"s in the same style?

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    have a question as well, mate: do you know of a 76 fusion rock lp called "train" ? rainer showed it to me and i really liked it, but he had no idea if it is rare?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Do you know this 7" and is it a dollar(Euro) bin record in Germany?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"1
    embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=6121775-656" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21Can you recommend any other 7"s in the same style?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21don't know it. hardly ever buy 45s. sorry!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21have a question as well, mate: do you know of a 76 fusion rock lp called "train" ? rainer showed it to me and i really liked it, but he had no idea if it is rare?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21the bands name is train? or the record itself? is it a compilation? i can't think of any band called train.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Just found this, has a couple of good tunes on it:

I did some searches and it looks like there's some kind of demand for it. Is this real or is it just the Innernets?