Jake/ Thes, how are your albums doing?

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
I don't think there's really been any talk of what's going on with your records since they dropped. Are you guys touring/planning more tours? Are sales climbing, sliding, staying strong? More importantly though, how are y'all feeling about the whole experience (reviews, praise, detractors, random phone calls from personal heros, et cetera)?

Comments

• Well, I think all things considered, both of our albums are doing very well. b, 21We are about even in scans and i don't think it is out of the question that both FUN DMC and White Van Music will be topping 10K scans by the new year or shortly after. That puts us both in a handful, maybe five, independent releases sales wise and in the top 10% of possibly all hip hop. I'm just guesstimating here of course; I could be wrong but i don't know two other albums that have moved those numbers going into Q4 2008. b, 21b, 21As far PUTS, it's two sided I guess. We are always humbled by the amount of love and support we get from the fans and it always amuses me how overlooked we get by everyone else. Probably the name, but what do you expect from two high school kids picking a name for their group in 1995? b, 21b, 21We weren't able to tour the album when it came out because wifey was in the last month of pregnancy so that def. didn't help - esp. because it leaves off alot of padded soundscan venue sales per night that other artists rack up on tour. And of course the press shitted on us - not with bad reviews, they just didn't cover us AT ALL. We are not "hot" or "interesting" enough for most hipster or music rags, even though alot of the artists they cover would be lucky to sell 1000 units even with the hype and coverage. We couldn't afford a well connected press time who could pull favors so we pitched the album to whoever and most turned it down. It was surprising to see magazines that supported us in the past, such as XLR8R and Fader take absolutely no interest in covering the album. I don't know if they thought it would flop or the concept didn't appeal to them or what, but the scans tell the story.b, 21b, 21Maybe these magazines wouldn't keep going under if they covered groups who actually sell records. Just a thought. b, 21b, 21We pitched DJ Day's jaw dropper remix of Stepp Bacc to both magazines and they turned it down - A FREE MP3 EXCLUSIVE FOR THIER WEBSITE AND THEY TURNED IT DOWN.b, 21Why? Especially with some of the complete catshit they are promoting on there, it definately hints at deep unseen currents. If anything, our sales prove that the coverage is irrelevant and unneeded in 2009. Music is so easy to access these days people will be what they like upon listening, not reading. b, 21b, 21Sales have evened off at about 200 units a week, which is great. Our records always are like that. OST still sells about 100 units a week, since 2002. It will be nearing the 50K mark next year if that continues. That record changed my defination of success. When it dropped it was overshadowed by a ton of releases, drama, gossip, etc. Both double K and myself took that kind of hard. We had a release party for it, no one showed up. Om was keeping us in the dark about sales figures, and for the following three years i assumed the record had flopped, though I could see certain songs from OST, such as Acid Raindrops, growing in popularity at shows. I had no idea it was continuing to sell consistently for years on end. I just assumed no one cared because we were in the same position with press - too underground for XXL and the Source, and to hip hop for everyone else. And we weren't the "hot" shit at the time.b, 21b, 21But they all came and gone and we are still here, and in many ways, more successful than ever, regardless of the industry. I should clarify that when i say success, I am not considering sales (although that is often the yardstick)b, 21but respect from the Elders, the originators and how happy we are with what we are doing. When Chuck D showed up at the show we did at CMJ in NYC and got on the mic giving us props, that was another level of success for me. We have no debt, no manager, we owe no label money, we own our masters, we own all of our publishing, I have a fantastic studio and house and we have money in the bank, but most importantly, we are making music we stand behind and music that makes us personally happy - period. b, 21b, 21Fun DMC is by all accounts a success for us in a few ways: Sales, respect and the fact that it marks album number 6 and year ten, and that we are now working on album 7 because six was the shit!b, 21b, 21Oh yeah, speaking of ten years, this friday:b, 21img src="http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3761/elreyfinalflatkj3.jpg"1 b, 21We'll be filming for a blue-ray dvd release so everyone come out and rep!b, 21b, 21Sorry for the rant! See yall on Friday!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    ^^^^Why I love this board.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I shoulda arm wrestled you at Asprins wedding reception

• i bought the fun dmc LP and love it. (do lps bought online count as scans?)

• I bought the vinyl and enjoy it.b, 21b, 21I would've sold it in the shop but Fat Beats' wholesale cost was nuts. If you guys still have copies holler at me.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21It was surprising to see magazines that supported us in the past, such as XLR8R and Fader take absolutely no interest in covering the album.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Sorry, mayne--I ain't at XLR8R anymore, and I might have been the chief PUTS guy there. I know I wrote about you guys a couple times.

• Hehe, I think you did. b, 21b, 21It's crazy because alot of the new "kids" at magazines were like 13 or 14 when our first record came out. That makes us like ACDC or some shit to them - old farts.b, 21b, 21Plus, it's def. worth considering how bad a rap hip hop gets. and how bad alot of hip hop rap is. b, 21b, 21the whole "golden age" / "backpack" category has been the single biggest detriment to our success. Maybe we are guilty as charged but i like to think that our last two albums have showed we have a much broader musical foundation. Or at least George Clinton thinks so.

• Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the FUN DMC record is at least 158x's better than Common's new record and we will sell about .01% of what he does.b, 21b, 21FUN DMC is also as good as QTip's IMHO too. It was better than his, until he took all the uncomfortable homo-erotic stuff off of it that was on the pre-release. b, 21b, 21b, 21I LOVE THE MUSIC INDUSTRY

• I can take the 6 train to LA?! Fresh indeed!

• Yes, get off at third as it instructs and you will be in Mid-Wilshire. We moved.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21 It was better than his, until he took all the uncomfortable homo-erotic stuff off of it that was on the pre-release.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bizzo.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pasue23is.gif" alt="" 21

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Thes, you know that reading this post is one of the reasons why I (and a lot of other folks up on here) F*ck with you, right? You're one of the realest and illest dudes out there.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Well, I think all things considered, both of our albums are doing very well.
    b, 21We are about even in scans and i don't think it is out of the question that both FUN DMC and White Van Music will be topping 10K scans by the new year or shortly after. That puts us both in a handful, maybe five, independent releases sales wise and in the top 10% of possibly all hip hop. I'm just guesstimating here of course; I could be wrong but i don't know two other albums that have moved those numbers going into Q4 2008.
    b, 21
    b, 21As far PUTS, it's two sided I guess. We are always humbled by the amount of love and support we get from the fans and it always amuses me how overlooked we get by everyone else. Probably the name, but what do you expect from two high school kids picking a name for their group in 1995?
    b, 21
    b, 21We weren't able to tour the album when it came out because wifey was in the last month of pregnancy so that def. didn't help - esp. because it leaves off alot of padded soundscan venue sales per night that other artists rack up on tour. And of course the press shitted on us - not with bad reviews, they just didn't cover us AT ALL. We are not "hot" or "interesting" enough for most hipster or music rags, even though alot of the artists they cover would be lucky to sell 1000 units even with the hype and coverage. We couldn't afford a well connected press time who could pull favors so we pitched the album to whoever and most turned it down. It was surprising to see magazines that supported us in the past, such as XLR8R and Fader take absolutely no interest in covering the album. I don't know if they thought it would flop or the concept didn't appeal to them or what, but the scans tell the story.
    b, 21
    b, 21Maybe these magazines wouldn't keep going under if they covered groups who actually sell records. Just a thought.
    b, 21
    b, 21We pitched DJ Day's jaw dropper remix of Stepp Bacc to both magazines and they turned it down - A FREE MP3 EXCLUSIVE FOR THIER WEBSITE AND THEY TURNED IT DOWN.
    b, 21Why? Especially with some of the complete catshit they are promoting on there, it definately hints at deep unseen currents. If anything, our sales prove that the coverage is irrelevant and unneeded in 2009. Music is so easy to access these days people will be what they like upon listening, not reading.
    b, 21
    b, 21Sales have evened off at about 200 units a week, which is great. Our records always are like that. OST still sells about 100 units a week, since 2002. It will be nearing the 50K mark next year if that continues. That record changed my defination of success. When it dropped it was overshadowed by a ton of releases, drama, gossip, etc. Both double K and myself took that kind of hard. We had a release party for it, no one showed up. Om was keeping us in the dark about sales figures, and for the following three years i assumed the record had flopped, though I could see certain songs from OST, such as Acid Raindrops, growing in popularity at shows. I had no idea it was continuing to sell consistently for years on end. I just assumed no one cared because we were in the same position with press - too underground for XXL and the Source, and to hip hop for everyone else. And we weren't the "hot" shit at the time.
    b, 21
    b, 21But they all came and gone and we are still here, and in many ways, more successful than ever, regardless of the industry. I should clarify that when i say success, I am not considering sales (although that is often the yardstick)
    b, 21but respect from the Elders, the originators and how happy we are with what we are doing. When Chuck D showed up at the show we did at CMJ in NYC and got on the mic giving us props, that was another level of success for me. We have no debt, no manager, we owe no label money, we own our masters, we own all of our publishing, I have a fantastic studio and house and we have money in the bank, but most importantly, we are making music we stand behind and music that makes us personally happy - period.
    b, 21
    b, 21Fun DMC is by all accounts a success for us in a few ways: Sales, respect and the fact that it marks album number 6 and year ten, and that we are now working on album 7 because six was the shit!
    b, 21
    b, 21Oh yeah, speaking of ten years, this friday:
    b, 21
    b, 21We'll be filming for a blue-ray dvd release so everyone come out and rep!
    b, 21
    b, 21Sorry for the rant! See yall on Friday!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21man that is greaaaaaaat f*cking news dude. I def. bought my copy from Amoeba and bump it. b, 21 fluff ass hype.b, 21b, 21Man some many knowledge jewels dropped as well.b, 21b, 21and yeah *cough* *cough*what's up with those remixes *cough*cough*

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I picked up both the recent PUTS LPs (Fun & the OM) a couple of weeks ago after putting them off for a while. I love Fun DMC & it's handy to have the OM stuff all in one place. And I don't even buy hip hop records much anymore, I only go to live shows. Great work.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Thes, you know that reading this post is one of the reasons why I (and a lot of other folks up on here) F*ck with you, right? You're one of the realest and illest dudes out there.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21for realb, 21b, 21haha, I remember like 4 or 5 years ago fools on here talking about "Thes is stuck up and thinks he's the shit" posting up some article where you were talking about digging and sampling. b, 21b, 21I was laughing thinking, hmmm, I just met dude when I was out with Uke and he seemed nice enough to me.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    All of that plus... Thes & 2xK KEEEEELLED it at that CMJ show at the Knitting Factory. color me impressed, dude. pounds of respect.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21^^^^Why I love this board.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Your post made me think of this quote:b, 21"What can be added to the happiness of a man who is in health, out of debt, and has a clear conscience?" -Adam Smith

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I should clarify that when i say success, I am not considering sales (although that is often the yardstick)but respect from the Elders, the originators and how happy we are with what we are doing. When Chuck D showed up at the show we did at CMJ in NYC and got on the mic giving us props, that was another level of success for me. We have no debt, no manager, we owe no label money, we own our masters, we own all of our publishing, I have a fantastic studio and house and we have money in the bank, but most importantly, we are making music we stand behind and music that makes us personally happy - period.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/word3rp.gif" alt="" 21

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    These dudes really do get a crowd going though. It never fails either, every time they do a show people go nuts.b, 21b, 21It is, perhaps, the fabled swagger.b, 21b, 21b, 21Or somebody could be spiking the drinks. Either way, a PUTS show is guaranteed fun.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Well, I think all things considered, both of our albums are doing very well.
    b, 21We are about even in scans and i don't think it is out of the question that both FUN DMC and White Van Music will be topping 10K scans by the new year or shortly after. That puts us both in a handful, maybe five, independent releases sales wise and in the top 10% of possibly all hip hop. I'm just guesstimating here of course; I could be wrong but i don't know two other albums that have moved those numbers going into Q4 2008.
    b, 21
    b, 21As far PUTS, it's two sided I guess. We are always humbled by the amount of love and support we get from the fans and it always amuses me how overlooked we get by everyone else. Probably the name, but what do you expect from two high school kids picking a name for their group in 1995?
    b, 21
    b, 21We weren't able to tour the album when it came out because wifey was in the last month of pregnancy so that def. didn't help - esp. because it leaves off alot of padded soundscan venue sales per night that other artists rack up on tour. And of course the press shitted on us - not with bad reviews, they just didn't cover us AT ALL. We are not "hot" or "interesting" enough for most hipster or music rags, even though alot of the artists they cover would be lucky to sell 1000 units even with the hype and coverage. We couldn't afford a well connected press time who could pull favors so we pitched the album to whoever and most turned it down. It was surprising to see magazines that supported us in the past, such as XLR8R and Fader take absolutely no interest in covering the album. I don't know if they thought it would flop or the concept didn't appeal to them or what, but the scans tell the story.
    b, 21
    b, 21Maybe these magazines wouldn't keep going under if they covered groups who actually sell records. Just a thought.
    b, 21
    b, 21We pitched DJ Day's jaw dropper remix of Stepp Bacc to both magazines and they turned it down - A FREE MP3 EXCLUSIVE FOR THIER WEBSITE AND THEY TURNED IT DOWN.
    b, 21Why? Especially with some of the complete catshit they are promoting on there, it definately hints at deep unseen currents. If anything, our sales prove that the coverage is irrelevant and unneeded in 2009. Music is so easy to access these days people will be what they like upon listening, not reading.
    b, 21
    b, 21Sales have evened off at about 200 units a week, which is great. Our records always are like that. OST still sells about 100 units a week, since 2002. It will be nearing the 50K mark next year if that continues. That record changed my defination of success. When it dropped it was overshadowed by a ton of releases, drama, gossip, etc. Both double K and myself took that kind of hard. We had a release party for it, no one showed up. Om was keeping us in the dark about sales figures, and for the following three years i assumed the record had flopped, though I could see certain songs from OST, such as Acid Raindrops, growing in popularity at shows. I had no idea it was continuing to sell consistently for years on end. I just assumed no one cared because we were in the same position with press - too underground for XXL and the Source, and to hip hop for everyone else. And we weren't the "hot" shit at the time.
    b, 21
    b, 21But they all came and gone and we are still here, and in many ways, more successful than ever, regardless of the industry. I should clarify that when i say success, I am not considering sales (although that is often the yardstick)
    b, 21but respect from the Elders, the originators and how happy we are with what we are doing. When Chuck D showed up at the show we did at CMJ in NYC and got on the mic giving us props, that was another level of success for me. We have no debt, no manager, we owe no label money, we own our masters, we own all of our publishing, I have a fantastic studio and house and we have money in the bank, but most importantly, we are making music we stand behind and music that makes us personally happy - period.
    b, 21
    b, 21Fun DMC is by all accounts a success for us in a few ways: Sales, respect and the fact that it marks album number 6 and year ten, and that we are now working on album 7 because six was the shit!
    b, 21
    b, 21O
    b, 21
    b, 21Sorry for the rant! See yall on Friday!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21thats the most insightful and awesome thing i have read on the internet o any medium for that matter this year!b, 21thanks thes and see you when (if) you come back to australia!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    That's some really real talk right there.b, 21Most cats would be frightened to share half of that.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Still yet to get Fun DMC (because i'm in Malaysia and can't get it here), but will be buying it as soon as i get home in a month.b, 21b, 21Stepfather was f*cking heavyweight man, love that record to pieces. I can't believe you guys have just got better and better each album. Looking forward to Fun DMC and hopefully it continues the trend.b, 21b, 21I know i will probably get clowned for posting this, but i've wanted to give props for ages. PUTS is the only current hip hop i still listen to. I have seen you guys live 3 times in my home city, Edinburgh, Scotland. My brother and I each have all your records, doubles of most (thats 4 copies!). I would put you guys up there with EPMD, Tribe, Gangstarr etc in terms of great groups, albums and longevity.b, 21b, 21anyway, much respect from a fanboy with no shame.

• Just a post to let you know that there are fans in Canada too! I bought the FUN DMC album at my local cd store mega chain when it came out and have been rockin' it ever since. Oddly enough I also found your second cd at my local used record store as well. Snapped it up and have enjoyed it immmensely. My intro to the PUTS phenomenon was the Stepfather album, a perfect cd for driving on my vacation. You guys have the good-times party vibe down solid! Much respect! b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21

• 10,000 UNITS IN THE AGE WHERE RECORDS FLOP 24/7....BUT ARE YOU GUYS STILL RELEVANT??!?!?!?

• Y'ALL GOT THAT HEAUG SWAG?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Hehe, I think you did.
    b, 21
    b, 21It's crazy because alot of the new "kids" at magazines were like 13 or 14 when our first record came out. That makes us like ACDC or some shit to them - old farts.
    b, 21
    b, 21Plus, it's def. worth considering how bad a rap hip hop gets. and how bad alot of hip hop rap is.
    b, 21
    b, 21the whole "golden age" 2 "backpack" category has been the single biggest detriment to our success. Maybe we are guilty as charged but i like to think that our last two albums have showed we have a much broader musical foundation. Or at least George Clinton thinks so.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I'd definitely agree with this last point. After my jocking Day on another thread, I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but "Fun DMC" is one of my favourite albums of the year and, imho, possibly the best thing you've done to date. It's tight, musically coherent, smart without being clever-clever, and it sounds natural - you don't come over like you're trying to be flag-wavers for some movement or other, or like you're setting yourselves up in opposition to anything. It's just a good, solid, enjoyable hip-hop record.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 you don't come over like you're trying to be flag-wavers for some movement or other
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I have to respectfully disagree???Thes and Mike ride pretty damn hard for grilling and having a good time. I mean, like, ride or die shit.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 2110,000 UNITS IN THE AGE WHERE RECORDS FLOP 24/7....BUT ARE YOU GUYS STILL RELEVANT??!?!?!?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Not to anybody under 30! I pretty much cosign everything Thes said. This record was a big deal for me because its the first thing to have my name on it, so I really wasn't sure if people were going to go out and buy. To have 8500 something people buy it in a couple months is more rewarding for me personally than going platinum and all that shit (though goin platinum is cool too img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21) . Especially when you consider I don't do shows and I don't have any gimmick.b, 21b, 21Its been suprising to see who is paying attention to what I'm doing as well. Some of my heroes have hit me up telling me they like the album. Seattle has been super supportive which is dope as well. More than anything I'm happy I did the album because its just providing me another platform to do shit I want to do without having to deal with uncertainty of the major label game. If I want to do boogie album next than I can do it.b, 21b, 21b, 21The video for "The Truth" played on MTV2 pretty strong for a week and I saw myself on TV which was really bizarre. The video for "Trap Door" with Doom is on the way from what I've seen it should be pretty cool.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    While we're engaging in a round of backslapping, I may as well add that I bought your joint as well, Jake, and it's as good as everyone on here said it was. Props.b, 21b, 21I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary to say that there are some truly talented cats posting on here, and in an age where the music industry is almost literally dead on its arse, it's good to know that some of you at least are doing OK.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Picked up White Van Music over the weekend. Nice white vinyl! Love a lot of the tracks; I can't get enough of the strings on "Big Homie Style." b, 21b, 21Still haven't seen a copy of Fun DMC but will buy it when I do.