/font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Ernie Isley - who gives a F*ck?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21The Isley Brothers are Rock-N-Roll.
    b, 21
    b, 21Ernie's Guitar solo on Who's That Lady is still the longest solo on Black Radio to this day!
    b, 21
    b, 21Ohio/Machine Gun is that SHIT!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Can we get a "preach" graemlin?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Oh, and after all that I am going to declare the rock issue a success, as I believe it will be the first of more to come. It is impossible to cover an entire genre in one magazine issue, F*ck, it's impossible to cover an entire genre with a lifetime of digging through records, period. So let's hope to see this become an annual thing. An annual rock issue would be nice to look forward to.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Oh, and after all that I am going to declare the rock issue a success, as I believe it will be the first of more to come. It is impossible to cover an entire genre in one magazine issue, F*ck, it's impossible to cover an entire genre with a lifetime of digging through records, period. So let's hope to see this become an annual thing. An annual rock issue would be nice to look forward to.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Why can Rock be w/in the whole mix? b, 21b, 21Good shit is good shit. Yeah alot of it is filtered thru the "Diggers" aka Lookin For beats aka Timmy Digalot aka Hip Hop Latte pass aka Funky hunter aka Therlman, but why does the mag have to link it to the dusty fingers set. b, 21b, 21Rock/Funk/Jazz, whatever... a good story is a good story.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Oh, and after all that I am going to declare the rock issue a success, as I believe it will be the first of more to come. It is impossible to cover an entire genre in one magazine issue, F*ck, it's impossible to cover an entire genre with a lifetime of digging through records, period. So let's hope to see this become an annual thing. An annual rock issue would be nice to look forward to.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Why can Rock be w/in the whole mix?
    b, 21
    b, 21Good shit is good shit. Yeah alot of it is filtered thru the "Diggers" aka Lookin For beats aka Timmy Digalot aka Hip Hop Latte pass aka Funky hunter aka Therlman, but why does the mag have to link it to the dusty fingers set.
    b, 21
    b, 21Rock/Funk/Jazz, whatever... a good story is a good story.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I like that idea too. Hopefully the rock issue will get more people to check for wax poetics. I lent it to a rock dude I know and he read the whole thing from front to back, loved it. Maybe he'll pick up another issue at some point, just to check the magazine. b, 21b, 21Back to main topic, I am happy to see more reggae articles in this issue. I haven't had a proper sit down with it, so maybe I'll find time right now. I'm about to prepare some hot cocoa, the wife is reading her book too, dim lights down low, here we go...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think a lot of criticisms stated in this thread just point out the paucity of quality publications out there. We all want WP to be "more" if only b/c it's one of the few things out there trying to hold it down. I don't think it's perfect but I think it does a damn good job for what it's trying to do. b, 21b, 21We just need more mags like it (good luck in this economy though!)

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Still a great magaizine, and the design side of things is better than ever.
    b, 21Most of the illustrations in the earlier ones were kinda corny.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 i did the illusrtration of Jazzy Jay for his article - -and it was img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fire.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Haven't bought a copy in a while, but if I get some book tokens for Chrimbo then I'll probably pick up the Wax Po Anthology v.2.b, 21b, 21The one thing that I'd like to see with a music mag/anthology/book or whatever would be a licensed CD with tracks so you can listen to the music you're reading about.b, 21I'm guessing this has never been done with a magazine as the price wouldn't cover licensing.b, 21Are there any good books out there that come with a companion CD?*b, 21One of the best things about a well-done compilation or re-issue is reading the liner notes as you listen. Mr Scruff's Solid Steel mix has some pretty good liner-notes breaking down his selections, and that just enriches the experience. I know that the idea with a good article is that it should inspire you to go out and find the music, but it would also be nice to have a taster... this is something that I suppose blogs will always have over print.b, 21b, 21That Wax Po Covers for example, if it came with a CD, would change from merely worthy of my cash next time I'm feeling flush, to Essential Heads Know The Transaction. Which it probably is anyway.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21*I think I can answer my own question - I think Table Lab has some kind of music book journal with ltd toys and/or records, all at the affordable retail price of $100+ or something silly.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Haven't bought a copy in a while, but if I get some book tokens for Chrimbo then I'll probably pick up the Wax Po Anthology v.2.
    b, 21
    b, 21The one thing that I'd like to see with a music mag/anthology/book or whatever would be a licensed CD with tracks so you can listen to the music you're reading about.
    b, 21I'm guessing this has never been done with a magazine as the price wouldn't cover licensing.
    b, 21Are there any good books out there that come with a companion CD?*
    b, 21One of the best things about a well-done compilation or re-issue is reading the liner notes as you listen. Mr Scruff's
    Solid Steel mix has some pretty good liner-notes breaking down his selections, and that just enriches the experience. I know that the idea with a good article is that it should inspire you to go out and find the music, but it would also be nice to have a taster... this is something that I suppose blogs will always have over print.b, 21b, 21That Wax Po Covers for example, if it came with a CD, would change from merely worthy of my cash next time I'm feeling flush, to Essential Heads Know The Transaction. Which it probably is anyway.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21*I think I can answer my own question - I think Table Lab has some kind of music book journal with ltd toys and/or records, all at the affordable retail price of $100+ or something silly. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) but recently wax po started a music download service where you can listen to stuff featured in the magazine. Although it's not a free cd I still think it's a great idea.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I think a lot of criticisms stated in this thread just point out the paucity of quality publications out there. We all want WP to be "more" if only b/c it's one of the few things out there trying to hold it down. I don't think it's perfect but I think it does a damn good job for what it's trying to do.
    b, 21
    b, 21We just need more mags like it (good luck in this economy though!)
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Exactly. With something that's basically all good, you can nitpick. With something like Scratch, on the other hand... (that had it's share of good articles, though).

• As far as rock being integrated into the general scope of the magazine, to the extent that's not already happening I think it's a good idea. b, 21b, 21I know that rock isn't mag's wheelhouse, but in 2008 there are fewer and fewer monolithic diggers.b, 21b, 21A high percentage of my customers dig everything from afrobeat to American soul music to post-punk to disco to kraut to free jazz and hip-hop. Our world is getting bigger - as well it should.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Good shit is good shit. Yeah alot of it is filtered thru the "Diggers" aka Lookin For beats aka Timmy Digalot aka Hip Hop Latte pass aka Funky hunter aka Therlman, but why does the mag have to link it to the dusty fingers set.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I like that idea too. Hopefully the rock issue will get more people to check for wax poetics. I lent it to a rock dude I know and he read the whole thing from front to back, loved it. Maybe he'll pick up another issue at some point, just to check the magazine.
    b, 21
    b, 21Back to main topic, I am happy to see more reggae articles in this issue. I haven't had a proper sit down with it, so maybe I'll find time right now. I'm about to prepare some hot cocoa, the wife is reading her book too, dim lights down low, here we go...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i had the same thing happen with a friend of mine. he had never picked up the magazine--or, for that matter, many soul/funk/r&b records--but he picked up the rock issue, has picked up the issues that have come out since, and has started buying things he has read about in the magazine.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21i had the same thing happen with a friend of mine. he had never picked up the magazine--or, for that matter, many soul/funk/r&b records--but he picked up the rock issue, has picked up the issues that have come out since, and has started buying things he has read about in the magazine.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21As long as he's only buying CDs that's fine. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21But really, if Wax Po only converts one rockist, it's done a good job. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jonnygraem.gif" alt="" 21

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I like that idea too. Hopefully the rock issue will get more people to check for wax poetics. I lent it to a rock dude I know and he read the whole thing from front to back, loved it. Maybe he'll pick up another issue at some point, just to check the magazine.
    b, 21
    b, 21Back to main topic, I am happy to see more reggae articles in this issue. I haven't had a proper sit down with it, so maybe I'll find time right now. I'm about to prepare some hot cocoa, the wife is reading her book too, dim lights down low, here we go...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21i had the same thing happen with a friend of mine. he had never picked up the magazine--or, for that matter, many soul/funk/r&b records--but he picked up the rock issue, has picked up the issues that have come out since, and has started buying things he has read about in the magazine.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Three bands were written about in that issue with great articles about them that made that issue worthy all starting with the letter "B" - Black Merda, Babe Ruth, and Bad Brains.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21As long as he's only buying CDs that's fine.
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21But really, if Wax Po only converts one rockist, it's done a good job.
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif" alt="" 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif" alt="" 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jonnygraem.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yeah, wax poetics did in one issue what i've been trying to do for 15 years. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Three bands were written about in that issue with great articles about them that made that issue worthy all starting with the letter "B" - Black Merda, Babe Ruth, and Bad Brains.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That Bad Brains article was pretty weak IMO, with WaxPo I expect something a meatier than a career skimming overview like that. There's been probably a dozen articles about Bad Brains that covered the exact same stuff in the last 5 years. They should have gone in depth on one of the records or done a more focused interview with one of the members. b, 21b, 21I still buy every issue though, have since #1.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    there aren't (m)any other publications that have me looking forward to every issue. I don't think this new one is the strongest -- the main article is an excerpt from a book I might end up reading anyhow, and between sly and jimmy cliff this one was heavier on profile pieces than on interviews -- but the last issue was terrific and i'd be surprised if the next wasn't as well. they keep hitting more often than not.

• dmadma 36 Posts
    I might be a bit biased, but Igot nothing but respect for the mag. Name another on the market that is come close to doing what Wax Po does?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I might be a bit biased, but Igot nothing but respect for the mag. Name another on the market that is come close to doing what Wax Po does?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.heybabydays.com/InTheBasement.jpg"1

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21But isn't Wax Po supposed to be hip-hop based or whatever?b, 21b, 21I think if it has a problem it's that it's a hiphopfunkysoulcratediggersmoothjazzmixtapeillustrativedesignarchival magazine,b, 21off in so many directions at once that focus can be little hard to grasp.b, 21b, 21But whatever, I'm no hater. I usually pick it up when I see a new one.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    As someone who is only vaguely interested in soul/funk/etc I'd like to see it branch out more. I really liked columns like "Left Field Americana" by Carfagna because they explored the boundaries of genres and profiled unique and interesting records.b, 21b, 21I know it's impossible to do that forever, but if Wax Po tried to highlight a thorough dissection of a funk artist and a rock/folk/psych thing in every issue they would appeal to a broader audience and turn more people on to other records.b, 21b, 21I mean, we all collect a variety of things. Most people start out uber specific but after a while our ears get tuned into different frequencies and we want to hear a broad spectrum. A magazine like Wax Po has and should continue to reflect that. I see them getting more cr8 digger specific and it has caused me to not buy all the issues.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21But isn't Wax Po supposed to be hip-hop based or whatever?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21true. but even though Wax Po is geared towards the backpack/hoodie/hip-hop cratedigger set, the articles theyve done on funkish acts like Shuggie Otis and Mandrill are pretty much compatible with In The Basement. that is, if ITB ever started covering funk (although they do have quite a bit of "modern soul" within its pages).

• dmadma 36 Posts
    Both publications overlap in some areas, but I think they're way different.

• that "riverson" re:discovery was the shit i tell ya...

• Is Wax Poetics ROCK issue the equivalent to SOUL issues that many other Rock orientated mags attempt?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Is Wax Poetics ROCK issue the equivalent to SOUL issues that many other Rock orientated mags attempt?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21which soul issues?b, 21b, 21Mojo is the only example I can think of where an archival rock-oriented mag had a soul issue...other than that, I can only remember the occasional soul article or record review in something like Ugly Things

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Is Wax Poetics ROCK issue the equivalent to SOUL issues that many other Rock orientated mags attempt?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21which soul issues?
    b, 21
    b, 21Mojo is the only example I can think of where an archival rock-oriented mag had a soul issue...other than that, I can only remember the occasional soul article or record review in something like Ugly Things
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21sonned..

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 career skimming overview
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1 b, 21b, 21I understand the journal`s objective to be informative as well as document musical history, but there`s way too much of this, IMO. It makes a lot of the articles real bland.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21which soul issues?
    b, 21
    b, 21Mojo is the only example I can think of where an archival rock-oriented mag had a soul issue...other than that, I can only remember the occasional soul article or record review in something like Ugly Things
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21sonned..
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21no really, i wasnt trying to "school" anybody, i wanted to know what those soul-issue rock mags were, 'cause i hadnt seen 'em. wasnt doubting you at all

• img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/raerface.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21a href="http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=230241347921" target="_blank"1http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=230241347921/a1b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/841.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/raerface.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/841.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21I sold mine for more than that a few years back...