digging in ethiopia?

subsub 311 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
does anyone know about the chances to find records in ethiopia? i might go there early next year so every info would be apreciated!b, 21b, 21thanks!

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I've never been to Ethiopia but know various serious doggers who've been multiple times. First one I remember was Phillip L. in '98 or '99. I'd give you the same advice I give anybody who wants to go to Africa for record digging:b, 21b, 21-Go for at least a month.b, 21b, 21-Don't make digging the main focus or you'll miss out on too many other things at least as interesting. Don't blow a once in a lifetime chance of experiencing an amazing and unusual culture for the vague promise of finding some records.b, 21b, 21Things to bring with you:b, 21baseball hats, T-shirts, flip flops etc as gifts. Gifts always mean more than money. of course at least one portable and good batteries, locally sold batteries are often crap and you'll waste valuable time to figure out which brand is best. Dust mask that protects from mold spores (don't go for the cheap painters masks, you could live to regret it). Torch, my favorite is the strap-on thing that you wear on your forehead and that will make people laugh at you. Cheap, easy to use photo camera which you should hand your guide to shoot pictures of what you do. Moist handy wipes that will make you feel like being a sissy...b, 21b, 21-Be prepared to find close to no records. I know from various people who didn't find any records worth mentioning even in a months period of time.b, 21b, 21-Get a cell phone number as quickly as you can.b, 21b, 21-Prepare flyers and posters with record scans and bring one or two high-quality print-outs each. Once you have a cell phone number, fill it into the blank spaces on Poster and Flyer design, go to a copy shop. Pay local kids to post them around town. Give them 50% of the wage on the spot and the rest after they took you around town in a cab to verify they've done a good job.b, 21b, 21-Record radio clips on CDR, about 2 minutes of airtime 4-8 times a day for a week or so shouldn't cost you a fortune. Pay the radio station extra to have the DJs translate the esential parts into local language.b, 21b, 21-When at the radio station, ask for the contact information of retired DJs or directions to their house.b, 21b, 21-Plug newspaper adds with cover scans etc.b, 21b, 21- Give your cellphone with the number you've used to your most trusted helper and have him buy shit for you and send it to you after your departure. People will continue calling.b, 21b, 21-Pay realistic prices. You'll be able to pay a buck or less but pay decent money for the good stuff. if people realized there's serious money in those old records, no stone will remain unturned.b, 21b, 21-Send me a record once you're back if these suggestions have worked out for you.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    A few more things:b, 21Bring plenty of 7" and 12" paper sleeves.b, 21First thing you want to do when finding records is washing them in the shower at the hotel and getting rid of dust, sand and grime that might cause more damage to the vinyl during the transportation. For this, also bring a bottle of regular dish washing soap. After washing, dry them up with paper towels (bring those as well, they're very expensive in Africa), this eliminates te risk of chalk residue after drying.b, 21b, 21When flying back home, be prepared to pay bribes to customs. Bring totally self-invented forms that you created in photoshop bearing loads of black and blue rubber stamps and signatures, letterheads of various made-up institutes and ministries, explain that you're on some some sort of offical mission for some cultural exchange program. Never, never loose your cool when talking to officials and never loose the open smile on your face. Get to the airport at least 3 hours before departure. Check in any excessive vinyl luggage as air cargo and not as regular excess luggage, you'll save a small fortune.

• I spent two months in Ethiopia some years ago. I did find records but it was also hard work plus some luck involved.b, 21b, 21Like Frank says dont make records your first priority because even if you do you're not guaranteed finding anything to make it worthwhile. A lot of people have been to Ethiopia over the years for records so there not really around like that. Expect to pay a relatively lot for all titles whether its killer stuff or Leo Sayer. Ethiopians are cool people who like vinyl records too.b, 21b, 21Ask everybody on your way from the hour you touch ground. Get a local guide asap who speaks english, has a cell phone and pay him well.b, 21b, 21I never had to bribe anybody and Im not sure why you would have to do that.b, 21b, 21Go to Lalibela!b, 21b, 21Good luck and have a safe trip.b, 21b, 21Peace,b, 21b, 21Dress

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I never had to bribe anybody and Im not sure why you would have to do that.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Two months without bribing anyone? How on earth did you ever get anything done?

• Who do you suggest I should have bribed?b, 21b, 21Dress

• No, not that you would ever go out of your way to bribe someone, just that it is often necessary to make things happen or to avoid hours of delays or hassles.b, 21b, 21I can only really speak for West Africa though, never been out East.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I personally never bribed any officials but that was due to my diplomatic passport. As soon as you cross African borders or emigration and customs checks at airports without having diplomatic status and carrying anything that could be interpreted as business marchandise you will have to shell out money in order to avoid hassle and delays that will be more painful than the relatively small bribes. Officials often don't get paid for months in a row so it's kindof understandable. If you only have 20-30 records and the usual tourist goods on you, it's a different story but with a couple of hundred records it's obvious that you're doing business so you'll have to pay.b, 21b, 21I can't talk about East Africa but I crossed West African borders on about 50-60 occasions and I've observed the hardship of those who don't understand the system plenty of times...

• subsub 311 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I've never been to Ethiopia but know various serious doggers who've been multiple times. First one I remember was Phillip L. in '98 or '99. I'd give you the same advice I give anybody who wants to go to Africa for record digging:
    b, 21
    b, 21-Go for at least a month.
    b, 21
    b, 21-Don't make digging the main focus or you'll miss out on too many other things at least as interesting. Don't blow a once in a lifetime chance of experiencing an amazing and unusual culture for the vague promise of finding some records.
    b, 21
    b, 21Things to bring with you:
    b, 21baseball hats, T-shirts, flip flops etc as gifts. Gifts always mean more than money. of course at least one portable and good batteries, locally sold batteries are often crap and you'll waste valuable time to figure out which brand is best. Dust mask that protects from mold spores (don't go for the cheap painters masks, you could live to regret it). Torch, my favorite is the strap-on thing that you wear on your forehead and that will make people laugh at you. Cheap, easy to use photo camera which you should hand your guide to shoot pictures of what you do. Moist handy wipes that will make you feel like being a sissy...
    b, 21
    b, 21-Be prepared to find close to no records. I know from various people who didn't find any records worth mentioning even in a months period of time.
    b, 21
    b, 21-Get a cell phone number as quickly as you can.
    b, 21
    b, 21-Prepare flyers and posters with record scans and bring one or two high-quality print-outs each. Once you have a cell phone number, fill it into the blank spaces on Poster and Flyer design, go to a copy shop. Pay local kids to post them around town. Give them 50% of the wage on the spot and the rest after they took you around town in a cab to verify they've done a good job.
    b, 21
    b, 21-Record radio clips on CDR, about 2 minutes of airtime 4-8 times a day for a week or so shouldn't cost you a fortune. Pay the radio station extra to have the DJs translate the esential parts into local language.
    b, 21
    b, 21-When at the radio station, ask for the contact information of retired DJs or directions to their house.
    b, 21
    b, 21-Plug newspaper adds with cover scans etc.
    b, 21
    b, 21- Give your cellphone with the number you've used to your most trusted helper and have him buy shit for you and send it to you after your departure. People will continue calling.
    b, 21
    b, 21-Pay realistic prices. You'll be able to pay a buck or less but pay decent money for the good stuff. if people realized there's serious money in those old records, no stone will remain unturned.
    b, 21
    b, 21-Send me a record once you're back if these suggestions have worked out for you.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21thanks for the info. i'll ask for your address in case i go and come back with something nice record wise....b, 21b, 21and naturally i wouldn't just go there to search for records. i think the country is beautiful.

• subsub 311 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I spent two months in Ethiopia some years ago. I did find records but it was also hard work plus some luck involved.
    b, 21
    b, 21Like Frank says dont make records your first priority because even if you do you're not guaranteed finding anything to make it worthwhile. A lot of people have been to Ethiopia over the years for records so there not really around like that. Expect to pay a relatively lot for all titles whether its killer stuff or Leo Sayer. Ethiopians are cool people who like vinyl records too.
    b, 21
    b, 21Ask everybody on your way from the hour you touch ground. Get a local guide asap who speaks english, has a cell phone and pay him well.
    b, 21
    b, 21I never had to bribe anybody and Im not sure why you would have to do that.
    b, 21
    b, 21Go to Lalibela!
    b, 21
    b, 21Good luck and have a safe trip.
    b, 21
    b, 21Peace,
    b, 21
    b, 21Dress
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21are there any stores selling vinyl left or is it just private dealers?b, 21b, 21also: did you fly to lalibela or did you travel there overland?b, 21b, 21thanks for the info!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    God luck dude, sounds like fun!!

• I'm not sure how West Africa compares to East Africa but when I worked on the foreign desk of the Washington Post we had a saying/acronym we'd use all the time - WAWA - which stands for "West Africa Wins Again."

• subsub 311 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I'm not sure how West Africa compares to East Africa but when I worked on the foreign desk of the Washington Post we had a saying/acronym we'd use all the time - WAWA - which stands for "West Africa Wins Again."
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i hope record digging doesn't apply to that rule img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21

• damn, frank....maybe cause im high right now, but your advice post kindof took me there....i felt that i was about to go there myself. and thats real generous of you to share that first hand knowledge

• One of the biggest recent singers in Ethiopia has just been giving a six year prison sentence. However, he was also known for throwing in a few controversial covered-up remarks on the problems in Ethiopia in his lyrics.b, 21b, 21a href="http://globalvoicesonline.org/2008/12/06/ethiopia-teddy-afro-gets-a-six-year-sentence/" target="_blank"1http://globalvoicesonline.org/2008/12/06/ethiopia-teddy-afro-gets-a-six-year-sentence//a1b, 21b, 21Dress