eBay mysteries...

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
the buy it now price was 299. how come it's going twoards the 500 usd mark a few hours before the end of the auction? b, 21b, 21do people need the bidding excitement? why didn't those guys buy it now?b, 21b, 21 EastOf299/a1

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    although the condition isn't the best, this is still quite cheap, isn't it? You should have bought it NOW. Weird. Ebay dynamics.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I've been watching this auction all week. It wasn't listed with a $299 but it now option, the starting price was $299 and people have waited until the last 12 hours to start bidding.b, 21b, 21Someone tried to get him to list is with A BIN early on too:b, 21"Q: Hello There, Are you interrested for an option buy it now? If yes, please let me know your price. Thanx in advance Best regards Dec-06-08b, 21A: no thanks, no hurry. good luck."

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21the buy it now price was 299. how come it's going twoards the 500 usd mark a few hours before the end of the auction?
    b, 21
    b, 21do people need the bidding excitement? why didn't those guys buy it now?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21The first bidder bid to remove the buy-it-now with no intention to win; the later bidders are either un-serious bidders or people who saw the auction only recently and genuinely want it.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    but the first bid was 399 already... i don't get it.b, 21b, 21did somebody watch the auction as well? wasn't there a buy it now option for 299? i'm pretty sure i've seen it.b, 21b, 21b, 21EDIT: didn't see bill's post.b, 21b, 21hm, i think there was a buy i now option on the first day? maybe someone told him the record is worth more...

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I must have started watching the auction right after the BIN was removed then.

• i've definitely done this before. cant remember when. someone puts a highish yet possible BIN with a rock bottom open. so you bid a buck to erase the BIN and throw your snipe in.

I could have sworn when I first saw the auction it had no bids and no BIN.

• I wasn't watching the auction but if he had $299 buy it now and an option to start bidding then some fool decided to start bidding instead of choosing the BIN. They were thinking they could get the record for under $299, but now look.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I could have sworn when I first saw the auction it had no bids and no BIN.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Man, there have been some absolute steals on ebay recently.

• I had someone tell me that alot of people that are out of work are listing more grails of late. Right now is the best time to get some of these records.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I had someone tell me that alot of people that are out of work are listing more grails of late. Right now is the best time to get some of these records.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21And folks either have less disposable income to spend on records, or they're banking it in case of layoff. If you have the cash and the security, it's a buyer's market.

• i actually don't think it's a buyer's market.b, 21i mean, sure it is, if your frame of reference is the last 2-3 years of sales prices.b, 21rather, i think the market is self correcting and going to stay that way for a while. the economy is fusked and will be that way for quite a while.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I'm happy with my $80 copy of 'What So Never the Dance'

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21i actually don't think it's a buyer's market.
    b, 21i mean, sure it is, if your frame of reference is the last 2-3 years of sales prices.
    b, 21rather, i think the market is self correcting and going to stay that way for a while.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="http://peacecorpsonline.org/messages/jpeg/cnn1231.jpg"1

• MORE LIKE I"M THE LEE IACOCCA OF THIS BITHC

• That record started at 299$, with no buy it now option.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21That record started at 299$, with no buy it now option.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yeah - that's how I read the bid history too. b, 21b, 21That said, I've seen people gamble on canceling BINs in hopes of getting it lower, only to see the price sell for above the original set price. Happens quite often; that's part of the inherent risk.