No plastic tape for registered? going-postal R

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
I've been told at the post office that packages that were closed with regular plastic adhesive tape can't be shipped registered. They told me to instead use paper adhesive tape. Problem now is that I can't find a store in NYC that carries this shit.b, 21b, 21I mean obviously this whole regulation doesn't make any sense but where do I get the frigging tape so I can send off these records??? b, 21b, 21The other day I had the same problem with a package contaning 45s but at least then I could just put the package into a cardboard envelope but I can't find an envelope large enough for a package with LPs.b, 21b, 21What the fugg is wrong with these postal dudes? Seriously?

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i just shipped 10 packages all with clear plastic tape. 4 of them registered. two overseas and two american.b, 21b, 21ny post offices must be shook at the end of the year

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I believe the regulation is due to them date stamping the paper tape over the seams with ink, but it might also depend on who you are dealing with at the Post Office.b, 21b, 21I remember this being a total pain back when I use to send a lot of stuff via registered mail.

• As I told you in the shop, Frank, I've run into this same restriction. It's a total pain in the ass and I don't ship registered because of it (the tracking is meaningless anyway).b, 21b, 21You should be able to get the tape at a big box store like Staples or whatever.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Yup, big 'ole pain in the ass.b, 21I couldn't find the paper tape for years but some Staples carry it now.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I went to several office supply stores and no dice... also UPS stores don't carry it.b, 21b, 21Shit is retarded. When I had the same problem with a box of 45s and just bought a thick padded envelope in which I put the package, I attached an inkjet printout to it with clear tape, also to make sure it doesn't get smeared if rain gets on it (or any saliva from those spastic postal dudes). Guess what? They told me you're not supposed to use plastic covered shipping labels either. I had to rip the damn thing apart and put it into a fresh envelpope onto which I wrote the address by hand.b, 21b, 21This is beyond ridiculous. I thought I'd be on candid camera or some shit.

• Best thing to do is to use Int'l Express Mail instead - it's a bit more pricey but the tracking is better and you don't have to use stupid paper tape.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21it might also depend on who you are dealing with at the Post Office.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Especially during the Holidays.b, 21There is a certain burned out hippie dude who works at my local PO and he is the most bi-polar, f#$%d up, glazed-over, dead-behind-the-eyes individual i have ever met. Dude will randomly give me grief when i bring in 3 packages and tell me that I should have home pick-up instead of taking up space in the line during the holidays. Then, when I bring in 20 packages a few days later, he will be nice as all get out and want to talk about his Boston records.b, 21I wonder if i would be like that if my job/company were secured solvency by the US Constitution? Probably.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Best thing to do is to use Int'l Express Mail instead - it's a bit more pricey but the tracking is better and you don't have to use stupid paper tape.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That's what I ended up using the last time but now I have to mail something national and registered or at least with insurance or tracking or someshit like that.b, 21b, 21For some reason I had thought this no-plastic bullshit only counted for international, otherwise I would have known in advance. I mean how can such a standart shipping method as registered national cause such a pain in the neck? And if everybody who sends shit registered nationally or internationally has to use paper tape, why can't I find it for sale anyplace?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Just use some wide masking tape...that's paper tape isn't it?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Frank: I have had this exact same problem!!! I remember one day I got about 8 packages ready to go packed immaculately and when I got there they wouldn't except them. I had to open and re-do each package with that shitty ass tape that doesn't even stick. One of the boxes started to soak up the water from the damn tape and the shit looked damaged before I even sent it off!!! I was pretty pissed off about it. I figured no problem I will just go buy some of that tape to keep at home. No dice. It's been at least 6 months now. I hate having to go there with all the packages un open then have to stand there wrapping each one, especially when sending multiple packages out. They explained to me that all seems all the way around must be covered in paper tape or I can NOT send it. Even if I had the entire package wrapped in plastic tape. Ugh.

• they should have some at the post office, if your friendly with the clerks ask them if they can spare a role, that's how i got mine, otherwise order some online

• I think I bought the tape to use at the post office but seriously lame.b, 21b, 21Dress

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    art supply stores carry the paper tapeb, 21b, 21I buy mines at Utrecht

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Frank: I have had this exact same problem!!! I remember one day I got about 8 packages ready to go packed immaculately and when I got there they wouldn't except them. I had to open and re-do each package with that shitty ass tape that doesn't even stick. One of the boxes started to soak up the water from the damn tape and the shit looked damaged before I even sent it off!!! I was pretty pissed off about it. I figured no problem I will just go buy some of that tape to keep at home. No dice. It's been at least 6 months now. I hate having to go there with all the packages un open then have to stand there wrapping each one, especially when sending multiple packages out. They explained to me that all seems all the way around must be covered in paper tape or I can NOT send it. Even if I had the entire package wrapped in plastic tape. Ugh.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Damn...b, 21maybe I should use packing paper and wallpaper glue and just wrap the glue soaked paper all around the box. Or maybe I buy a roll of carpet tape and make my own adhesive paper tape? Masking tape might come off too easlily.b, 21I can't believe this shit...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21art supply stores carry the paper tape
    b, 21
    b, 21I buy mines at Utrecht
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Oh, I'll go and try pearl paint then.b, 21At least at the post office I was at here in Brooklyn, they don't even have the tape themselves...

• they might not sell it at the post office but they should have some behind the counter for their own use

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21they might not sell it at the post office but they should have some behind the counter for their own use
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21okay... well, they sure didn't tell me about that.

• F*ck the USPS either no one wants that job or it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to get fired.b, 21i just sent some records out yesterday and this 500 yard stare guy with crazy booming loud thespian voice does my order (meticulously, to his credit). then he starts to give me my change and phlegmy coughs in his hand with the dollars in it. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/155.gif" alt="" /1

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Masking tape don't cut it. The paper tape is the date stamping/tamper proofing. I've never gotten away at the PO w/out registered plus paper sealing.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I've been told at the post office that packages that were closed with regular plastic adhesive tape can't be shipped registered. They told me to instead use paper adhesive tape. Problem now is that I can't find a store in NYC that carries this shit.
    b, 21
    b, 21I mean obviously this whole regulation doesn't make any sense but where do I get the frigging tape so I can send off these records???
    b, 21
    b, 21The other day I had the same problem with a package contaning 45s but at least then I could just put the package into a cardboard envelope but I can't find an envelope large enough for a package with LPs.
    b, 21
    b, 21What the fugg is wrong with these postal dudes? Seriously?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21When did this requirement start? Does anyone know?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    wrap the package with kraft paperb, 21b, 21 img src="http://goodwinrobbins.com/images/kraft_paper_roll.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/know.gif" alt="" /1

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21When did this requirement start? Does anyone know?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21Yeeeears ago.b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21wrap the package with kraft paper
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/know.gif" alt="" /1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21...and seal it with what? b, 21You're right back where you started (after coming out of pocket for Kraft paper)!b, 21b, 21img src=http://whynottri.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/whammy.jpg1

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21...and seal it with what?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="http://eggheadmarketing.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/glue.jpg"1

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    That...could work!

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    That won't work because all of the seams have to be sealed in tamper proof paper tape. b, 21b, 21Besides plastic is killing the Earth dudes.

• I actually use that paper tape for all my packages, works really well, and is the strongest tape you can get. Get the kind with threading in it, shits strong, why do you think most companies and corporations seal their shit with it? It also ends up coming out cheaper when you use it instead of the regular masking/shipping tape. Usually theres dudes on ebay selling boxes of it, get 5 rolls and you'll be set for a long time. Keep a little sponge in a container and damp them shits up and you're golden.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I found paper tape at U-Haul of all places! I'd suggest checking there as there's always at least one around a mile radius.