The hipster rappers in the Gap Xmas Commercial

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 211). Man those Cools Kids are f*cking lame.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21U MAD? b, 21b, 21object width="480" height="295"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21Peep the taxidermy steez!

• oversimplification

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 211). Man those Cools Kids are f*cking lame.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21U MAD?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    object width="480" height="295"1
    param name="movie" value=""1
    /param1
    param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1
    /param1
    param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21Peep the taxidermy steez!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21cool kidz vindicated. i kinda liked that b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" /1

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    phon u are sleepingb, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21phon u are sleeping
    b, 21
    object width="425" height="344"1
    /param1
    /param1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21not feeling her elbows/image

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21cool kidz vindicated. i kinda liked that
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" /1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I used to hate on theses dudes 'cause of the whole "hipster" connection. Then I got off my high horse and listened to them and realized I kinda like 'em.b, 21b, 21More people should get off their high horse.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I used to hate on theses dudes 'cause of the whole "hipster" connection. Then I got off my high horse and listened to them and realized I kinda like 'em.
    b, 21
    b, 21More people should get off their high horse.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The next time I am subjected to their GAP commercial I will get off my high horse and see if I kinda like 'em.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21phon u are sleeping
    b, 21
    /param1
    /param1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21not feeling her elbows/image
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21the concept is not my 'thing' -- however the song is incredible. im cool with her image. i would chill with her image

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I used to hate on theses dudes 'cause of the whole "hipster" connection. Then I got off my high horse and listened to them and realized I kinda like 'em.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21i find it hard to believe that getting off my horse will make their rapping any less boring

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21serious. Soul Strut is some serious grumpy faces. I picked up the cool kids cd because I liked that black mags song. The album didn't really live up to that song and I was kind of let down, but I don't know why people are hating so much.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    because they are everywhere without actually having any hits. its sort of like magazines get together at the beginning of the year and discuss who they are going to care about, and who they are going to ignore, and it turns into a bunch of six-year-olds playing soccer -- someone throws the ball in the field and everybody starts chasing it

You are all obviously either hipster rappers or intimately involved with themb, 21b, 21b/wb, 21b, 21Deej is the only person on this board who knows what's up

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i will admit that janelle gives off some serious theater-kid vibes. which is not really my thing. but those songs, man.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21phon u are sleeping
    b, 21
    /param1
    /param1
    /param1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21not feeling her elbows/image
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21the concept is not my 'thing' -- however the song is incredible. im cool with her image. i would chill with her image
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21she's the black Gwen Stefanib, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/postmodern.gif" alt="" /1

• I'm so glad I read this thread. Seriously.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21i will admit that janelle gives off some serious theater-kid vibes.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21bingo! that one of the things. i don't know man, it's just so damn goofyb, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21because they are everywhere without actually having any hits. its sort of like magazines get together at the beginning of the year and discuss who they are going to care about, and who they are going to ignore, and it turns into a bunch of six-year-olds playing soccer -- someone throws the ball in the field and everybody starts chasing it
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I agree but yo.. hate the publicist/manager/booking agency game not the player though. Is Shawna one of the unfortunately ignored artistes?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21i find it hard to believe that getting off my horse will make their rapping any less boring
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yes, but you like Termanology, who is equally boring.b, 21b, 21Tie breaker: The Cool Kids production is fresher than DJ Premier in 2008.b, 21b, 21Advantage - Cool Kids.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 its sort of like magazines get together at the beginning of the year and discuss who they are going to care about, and who they are going to ignore, and it turns into a bunch of six-year-olds playing soccer -- someone throws the ball in the field and everybody starts chasing it
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21this is pretty much how the magazine industry actually operates. it's nonetheless amusing how often these manufactured trends/hollow media darlings end up the topics of soulstrut appreciation threads.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21i find it hard to believe that getting off my horse will make their rapping any less boring
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Yes, but you like Termanology, who is equally boring.
    b, 21
    b, 21Tie breaker: The Cool Kids production is fresher than DJ Premier in 2008.
    b, 21
    b, 21Advantage - Cool Kids.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21since when did this become a Termanology vs. Cool Kids thread?b, 21b, 21this is a Flo Rida vs. Cool Kids thread. carry on.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Yes, but you like Termanology, who is equally boring.
    b, 21
    b, 21Tie breaker: The Cool Kids production is fresher than DJ Premier in 2008.
    b, 21
    b, 21Advantage - Cool Kids.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21 termanology b, 21b, 21i really haven't heard any new primo joints, the last one I heard is "That White" which is my joooooint.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this is insane. i would easily take term over cool kids, and premo beats over ck beats, esp in 2008 -- yah the mid 00s premo was kinda patchy but between his shit w/ reks, term, nyg'z and the new blaq poet he was on fire this yearb, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21theres nothing new about the cool kids production -- i could understand the argument if you were talking about somebody doing something DIFFERENT vs old established legend doing rehashes but ... no. cool kids production sounds pretty rough all in all. and i mean thats the aesthetic they're going for, cool -- but dont act like its something new or differentb, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I agree but yo.. hate the publicist/manager/booking agency game not the player though. Is Shawna one of the unfortunately ignored artistes?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i do hate on the media game, frequently. i feel bad for cool kids having to bear the brunt of the criticism bcuz of the ridiculous expectations that an artist has when they're plastered across magazine covers before theyve sold a single album. but im not feeling i1that[/i] bad about it. And yes, shawnna is a much better rapper than either of the cool kids, and has been since she was in infamous syndicate -- another duo that i would rather hear than the cool kids. and i dont feel bad when they fall asleep on a pile of gap hoody money that they're up late at night worrying if some journalist out there thinks theyre getting a free ride and posts so on soulstrut.

• i don't know man, me putting cool kids over term. isn't saying much.b, 21b, 21Expectations for the Cool Kids? I really don't think people are looking at them anymore then "so f*cking hot right now" fashion plate rap dudes. Dudes came out at the exact right time and someone saw the potential for $$$$$

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i mean look, maybe dudes can pull an MIA and hit the charts w/ the right track -- or better yet they can start dropping songs that get my attention in some way -- more power to them. im not writing them off for the rest of their lives. but ive heard enough so far to make a call -- i even saw them open for tip two nights ago. they got some good crowd energy, folks in that crowd are feeling their tracks, so theyve got that niche thing going. cool. maybe one day theyll do some shit i would get into.b, 21b, 21or even taking it off them, maybe a writer will write something that makes me think "huh -- maybe some ppl are latching on to them bcuz of x y z, i should give it another chance." but so far puff pieces like a href="http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/download/42539-the-cool-kids-i-rock-and-88-stream" target="_blank"1this/a1 arent really doing it for me ill be honest.b, 21b, 21honest, non-rhetorical question: what makes this stuff so sui generis to you dudes?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21sui generis
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21they mirror what is going with a lot of people right now; all that streetwear st alfred huf hundred shit. Those guys being one of the first really visible bi-products of that stuff made them really stand out to folks and them being alright with music sealed the deal for 'em.

People actually check for Termanology? WOW

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    am i happy a black girl is taking gwen stephanie and lily allen's spot yes (santo too)b, 21b, 21is it good music or good for music = debatableb, 21b, 21hipsterism is the recent popular culture that has assimilated black culture instead of being inspired by it img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/formpager3xk.gif" alt="" /1b, 21b, 21but yo cam was rockin pink and purple before it became cool thob, 21b, 21i kid, just trying to stir up shit in a thread made for this

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21sui generis
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The Cool Kids production sounds fresher to me because right now there are 1 million groups trying to sound like Premier, and 1 trying to sound like a lazy version of Audio Two.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21sui generis
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21they mirror what is going with a lot of people right now; all that streetwear st alfred huf hundred shit. Those guys being one of the first really visible bi-products of that stuff made them really stand out to folks and them being alright with music sealed the deal for 'em.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21So basically they are male models?

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21sui generis
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21they mirror what is going with a lot of people right now; all that streetwear st alfred huf hundred shit. Those guys being one of the first really visible bi-products of that stuff made them really stand out to folks and them being alright with music sealed the deal for 'em.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21So basically they are male models?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That is what is going on with a lot of people right now.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21you typed the exact string of words i was having trouble putting together myself.