The Economy

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
I just read that unemployment rates are increasing quickly, and that it's only going to get worse. Businesses are failing, and many existing ones have lost a lot of credit. b, 21b, 21How bad do you think it will get (in the US, for you non-American strutters)?b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poor.gif" alt="" 21

Comments

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Stockpilling water and amunition. Time will tell but what goes up must go down and vice versa.

• Things are bad but the gas prices are lowering everyday. Could go even lower soon but economist say that is a sign of a larger problem if it does.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I think gas prices went down as a response to decreased demand for $4.50/gallon gas. The prices fell to meet the lower demand. Now everyone's rushing to fill their tanks, and the prices will go up again. I'm guess it'll either go up to the same, or around the same, unless people get smart and actually start reducing the amount they drive. In that case, it might level off to a moderate amount. I just hope it doesn't take fusking forever to reach an affordable equilibrium.b, 21b, 21Food prices went up because you need petroleum for a lot of fertilizers. And food transport and shipment is crucial to garner the economic benefit of agriculture. And that's only one of the "larger problems."

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Stockpiling water and ammunition.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Things are bad but the gas prices are lowering everyday.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21Just drove by a gas station on La Cienega near the 10 that had gas for $1.79. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oj.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I think gas prices went down as a response to decreased demand for $4.50/gallon gas. The prices fell to meet the lower demand. Now everyone's rushing to fill their tanks, and the prices will go up again. I'm guess it'll either go up to the same, or around the same, unless people get smart and actually start reducing the amount they drive. In that case, it might level off to a moderate amount. I just hope it doesn't take fusking forever to reach an affordable equilibrium.
    b, 21
    b, 21Food prices went up because you need petroleum for a lot of fertilizers. And food transport and shipment is crucial to garner the economic benefit of agriculture. And that's only one of the "larger problems."
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The supply/demand curves of the gas itself don't really have that much effect on the price. It is more the underlying supply/demand situation for crude oil. Gas for private transportation makes up less than 50% of total crude oil demand. The falling price of gas is more to do with the global slowdown drastically decreasing the demand for energy derived from oil, of which people filling their cars up is only a small part.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Things are bad but the gas prices are lowering everyday.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21Just drove by a gas station on La Cienega near the 10 that had gas for $1.79.
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oj.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i bought that shit today for $1.47! gulf of mexico, what?!?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The projections are for 9% unemployment. We haven't seen anything like it since the early 80s. Truly though the bigger issue is that the markets are basically without a bottom yet. That has a snowball effect because everyone stops spending which in turn makes more businesses fail. The CITI Bank situation was the freakiest thing to me so far. They were thought to be potential buyer of Lehman just a few months back and now they are on the verge. Scary. I am keeping my powder dry, looking for real estate fire sales and praying that we get some confidence restored in the lending community. That said, I believe it will get very ugly here in the next year. You are going to see things we haven't seen in a long time.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I guess you could say it wasn't a good time to move across the state w/o a job.b, 21b, 21However, I got one and I hate, and I blame the economy img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21But it is so hard, and people, don't give up. Frugality is not a bad thing. Embrace it!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Also...b, 21b, 21I surprise myself on how much I spend in a week. It is really rewarding, but when you get to work and all these old women pay $90 every other day just to get their hair washed and styled...it makes me img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Not out jealousy, but out of such a waste. Of time and money.

• The real facts on the ground are already much worse than they are telling us and will be getting even worse for the next several months. Economic indicators always lag a month or two.b, 21b, 21Do you think the collapse of capital will impact the record market? As far as I can tell, it hasn't had much effect. b, 21b, 21Hopefully we'll see some fire sales soon!

• It's definitely affected the more common/cheaper titles... average $20-60 records are much harder to sell now, it's all either big $$$$ or $1 bin stuff.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I think gas prices went down as a response to decreased demand for $4.50/gallon gas. The prices fell to meet the lower demand.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21the demand for gas is relatively inelastic between $1-$5 a gallon.b, 21fuel prices fell because OPEC decided to lower the market price of a barrel with official excuses like "increased barrel output" and "refineries opening" and other such nonsense (b/w implicit industry price collusion apparent in the gasoline market), not in response to consumer demand.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I just started escrow on a house. I'm doing my part. As far as not being able to believe how much people spend, it was crazy to look up the records on people's houses. Seeing people take out 300,000 in mortgages in two years and still be foreclosing. I can't even fathom spending that much in 2 years. Maybe they were pouring it into failing businesses.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21The real facts on the ground are already much worse than they are telling us and will be getting even worse for the next several months. Economic indicators always lag a month or two.
    b, 21
    b, 21Do you think the collapse of capital will impact the record market? As far as I can tell, it hasn't had much effect.
    b, 21
    b, 21Hopefully we'll see some fire sales soon!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I mentioned this before that people are still buying stuff. People have that one thing that they enjoy they are going to spend money on it. EX: Buying records,Entertainment, liquor,drugs,sex what ever helps take their troubles of the economy off of their mind.

• Im intersested in seeing how it effects/infects the music game.b, 21b, 21What are these kids gonna sing about or will they be on some fantasy,fusk the pain away steez?b, 21b, 21

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Supposedly, tough times produce better music. b, 21b, 21See early '90s + hip-hop! img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Supposedly, tough times produce better music.
    b, 21
    b, 21See early '90s + hip-hop!
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21and i was waitin for that in NYC/America post 911 and ...... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1203.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21It's definitely affected the more common/cheaper titles... average $20-60 records are much harder to sell now, it's all either big $$$$ or $1 bin stuff.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1 b, 21b, 21that's why I'm gonna blow out all my shit for a buck each! Catch is you have to buy the whole collection!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21See Crack Era - late 80's Hip Hop.....b, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21Reagen Era PUNK......b, 21b, 21Civil Rights Era SOUL...b, 21b, 21What you young bitches got.....Commom Universal Mind Control,Rehashed Scarface,Pop Champagne,American Idol Rock n Roll????b, 21b, 21Yes ill be the asshole.......b, 21b, 21Saturday Night Fever...."fusk it ill party"??

• All this talk about the recession, yet EVERY single restaurant I go to is packed! WTF?!b, 21b, 21b/wb, 21b, 21Our gas is $1.61 these days! I'm so excited!!! Now I can run out and buy that Hummer that I sure as heck wasn't gonna fill up with $5/gal gas! I'ma do my part to bailout the auto industry!!!b, 21b, 21(I swear to God we're such a stupid ass society.)

• object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21and i was waitin for that in NYC/America post 911 and ......
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1203.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Different situation. America wasn't in the throes of a long-term economic disaster.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Different situation. America wasn't in the throes of a long-term economic disaster.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21No doubt. b, 21b, 21 img src="http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00007FOMP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21 img src="http://www.craphound.com/images/Vietcong-Starbucks-Remix.jpg"1b, 21b, 21I cant expect the new gen to react the same way but damn....

• Old habits die hard, especially when they're three generations deep.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21The projections are for 9% unemployment. We haven't seen anything like it since the early 80s. Truly though the bigger issue is that the markets are basically without a bottom yet. That has a snowball effect because everyone stops spending which in turn makes more businesses fail. The CITI Bank situation was the freakiest thing to me so far. They were thought to be potential buyer of Lehman just a few months back and now they are on the verge. Scary. I am keeping my powder dry, looking for real estate fire sales and praying that we get some confidence restored in the lending community. That said, I believe it will get very ugly here in the next year. You are going to see things we haven't seen in a long time.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21My prediction: 13-15% unemployment, minimum. It will flare up to 10% after the holiday axings and get worse as general National credit insolidity turns into a crisis.b, 21b, 21Citigroup seems like it will go bankrupt without another bailout, and the auto industry will have to lay off folks into six figures. Krugman is predicting a total US auto manufacturing collapse, meaning no Big Three ever again. I don't see it getting that bad, but Chrysler is as good as gone and we'll see Chevrolet pare down to Chevy, Cadillac, and maybe a Pontiac/Saturn mashup brand. Ford will lose Mercury and Lincoln. If the Chevy Volt doesn't make it, Chevy will go under, too. We might see US auto manufacturers only making trucks like the Silverado and F150 and a few compact, crossover, and mid-level sedans.b, 21b, 21It might get so bad that the only way our economy can stay afloat will be some sort of massive consumer debt pardon. It's not as much that debt slaves can't pay their bill; they will instead default or go bankrupt [i]en masse/i1.b, 21b, 21The market is dead. Long live the market.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Folks, our country had an artistic renaissance in the 60s. Everything afterward has been a case of a slow sparkle and fade. It's like the Death Star blew up or the sun went supernova, and newcomers are amazed by the flying embers. Sheeeeeit - we should have been there when it was [i]happening/i1. Good stuff still comes out every year, but not like in the past.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21All this talk about the recession, yet EVERY single restaurant I go to is packed! WTF?!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21It's cheaper to eat fast food than to make it in one's home.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21All this talk about the recession, yet EVERY single restaurant I go to is packed! WTF?!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21It's cheaper to eat fast food than to make it in one's home.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21MYTH.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21It's cheaper to eat fast food than to make it in one's home.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21MYTH.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The one good economic aspect of my recent move to L.A. from NC is the incredibly cheap and fresh produce. I can buy the makings of burritos containing tofu, spinach, carrots (and/or broccoli & green peppers), beans, rice, fresh-made pico de gallo, and fresh-made tomatillo salsa for about $3.50/$4.00 a burrito. Compare that to Burrito King down the street for $6 which doesn't even have the tofu or vegetables. b, 21b, 21To be honest, that wouldn't be so easily done in NC where some produce can be up to 5 times more expensive.