What's the promoters take?

MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
We are dealing with a new promoter for a new year's eve party and my dude is telling me they get half of the door? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icallbullshit.gif" alt="" 21

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21We are dealing with a new promoter for a new year's eve party and my dude is telling me they get half of the door?
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icallbullshit.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Forget the door. Who gets the bar? That is where the money is.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerbang.gif" alt="" 21

• There's a ton of variables that you haven't mentioned.b, 21b, 21are you being guaranteed money?b, 21is the promoter coming out of pocket for flyers/ads/etc?b, 21is the promoter renting the venue?b, 21is the promoter the venue itself?b, 21b, 21a typical arangement would be something like this:b, 21b, 21you get a guarantee, say $1000b, 21promoter covers all b, 21other exp.: rent, support,b, 21promo, staff, promoterb, 21profit (typically 10-15% of theb, 21over all budget) etc. say $1500b, 21b, 21 equals $2500 total budget.b, 21b, 21and you all agree to split the overages. the total budget would constitute the "Split Point" and typically the artist (you) gets the lion's share of the "overages" or "Back End" 80/20 would be common.b, 21b, 21BUT, this is just the way most established legit places deal with this kind of stuff. the biz is so messed it could range from hey, come play, we'll give you a couple hundred bux, then you do the math later and realize they made out like bandits, or no one shows and they cant afford to pay you.b, 21b, 21Many cities have their own conventions for this biz, and it can vary greatly. Like Chan said, the bar is bank, but in my city almost zero club owners/managers will negotiate with the bar take, plus it's easy for them to fudge those numbers to screw you in the end. b, 21b, 2150/50 might actually be a good deal, depending on what the promoters are going to put into the show for their half, combined with ticket price and capacity. the door could easily be in the thousands, so say the cap is 300 heads and you charge 15 = 4500 = 2250 for you. not too bad really, at a slim risk.b, 21b, 21my two cents.b, 21b, 21Hope that helps.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21We are dealing with a new promoter for a new year's eve party and my dude is telling me they get half of the door?
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icallbullshit.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Forget the door. Who gets the bar? That is where the money is.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerbang.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Not really. I always got 100% of the door at my gigs (NYE or not) since I was both, the promoter and the DJ. NYE i was always walking home with 5 to 7 grand.b, 21b, 21This year I got offered a DJ gig for NYE for $250... I don't know what these people are thinking. Not even a bartender would work NYE for that kind of money. Maybe a bus boy? All in all it seems like my NYE resolution is going to be to switch from spinning records to dealing records.

• who have thursday nites been, frank?b, 21b, 21i picked up a "flyer" for tha party...that shit is incredible! id love to make it up there one of these days

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21who have thursday nites been, frank?
    b, 21
    b, 21i picked up a "flyer" for tha party...that shit is incredible! id love to make it up there one of these days
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21It's been fun and people have loved it. Met some super nice strutters like Zach and Ian but didn't turn out more than 100 paying guests each night which at the beginning of a new weekly weeknight party isn't all that bad but the club couldn't afford to be patient and had to book this big corporate house party that'll run both floors Thursday nights from January on.b, 21Two more nights for me and I guess after Dec. 18th I'll retire from the DJ game. At least now I have the time to go on my first trip back to Africa in February...

• The horror. b, 21b, 21I am disappointed in New York City and all the folks who justifiably raved about your blog not coming out in force. If music this danceable and heavy (on their system) can't inspire mobs of people to show up, I give up. b, 21b, 21Strut Street Team needs to step up and get folks in there the next two weeks, at the very least to give Santos an idea of what they'll be missing if they just gave you a bit more time. b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" 21