70's Rock Musicians at home with their parents

SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
a href="http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/look/look-70s-rock-musicians-and-their-parents-homes-070419" target="_blank"170's rock musicians at their parents houses from Look! magazine/a1 b, 21b, 21There is something strangely fascinating to me about these pictures. Most of these are probably houses that the musicians bought for their parents, so the decor is a strange combination of '70s modern and old people kitsch.b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/la/112408rockstars-01.jpg"1b, 21b, 21Frank Zappa's shirt matches his parents wallpaperb, 21b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/la/112408rockstars-04.jpg"1b, 21b, 21Donovan's parents have a bust of their son on the mantle!b, 21b, 21b, 21I found the link to this at a href="http://www.boingboing.net/" target="_blank"1BoingBoing/a1

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Feeling the pile-depth on the Jackson's carpet. Bugger to get crumbs out of though.

• Yeah, we just discussed this over on a recent thread about Life magazine's photo archives, now available on Google. (The photos, not the Soul Strut thread!)b, 21b, 21What I find fascinating about these houses is that very few of them look dated. Maybe the loud wallpaper in Elton John's parents home hasn't aged well, but everyplace else looks pretty tasteful, considering this was 37 years ago. Yeah, Zappa's folks lived in a house with purple walls, but it wasn't garish purple.

• crazy, Zappa's folks have the painting that was used for Alice Cooper's 1st LP "Pretties For You" (which Zappa put out) I wonder if that was used for the cover after the folks already had the painting or vice versa...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21crazy, Zappa's folks have the painting that was used for Alice Cooper's 1st LP "Pretties For You" (which Zappa put out) I wonder if that was used for the cover after the folks already had the painting or vice versa...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I was just wondering that myself. It's a pretty creepy painting for a formal living room. It works with the colors though!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21crazy, Zappa's folks have the painting that was used for Alice Cooper's 1st LP "Pretties For You" (which Zappa put out) I wonder if that was used for the cover after the folks already had the painting or vice versa...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I was just wondering that myself. It's a pretty creepy painting for a formal living room. It works with the colors though!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Frank might have done it himself, he was an accomplished artist with some paintings getting BIG $ now.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21What I find fascinating about these houses is that very few of them look dated. Maybe the loud wallpaper in Elton John's parents home hasn't aged well, but everyplace else looks pretty tasteful, considering this was 37 years ago.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That's funny, I really like that wallpaper, and I'm not really a wallpaper person.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I was just wondering that myself. It's a pretty creepy painting for a formal living room. It works with the colors though!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Frank might have done it himself, he was an accomplished artist with some paintings getting BIG $ now.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21from the comments:b, 21b, 21"Yes, It was Ed Beardsley - no he was not a shop teacher. The painting was something that Zappa had -- there are some pictures of his home where you can see the original painting in his house. It was pre-existing - not done for the cover. Originally, they attempted to use the Dali painting "Geopoliticus' Child" but were unable to secure the rights." b, 21(Renfield, June 1995)b, 21b, 21I recently managed to contact Prof. Beardsley about his painting and here is what he had to say:b, 21b, 21"Yes, I am the same person who did the painting used on the Alice Cooper album, Pretties for You. Actually, that was the title of the painting, which Frank Zappa then used for the album. Frank, a friend of mine, was visiting my studio one day, bought two paintings he wanted to used for album covers, one for Alice Cooper, another for the Mothers of Invention. The two paintings purchased: 'Pretties for You' and 'The Four Apostles'. Both ended up in Frank's home, 'Pretties for you' in the main living room, and 'Apostles' in the downstairs music studio. Who knows what happened to them after Frank's death. I'm still in touch with his brother, Bobby, but not his wife or kids.b, 21The idea behind the painting are the dreams and regrets of old men on the occasion of their death. It was inspired by the funeral of an Italian movie director who died in '68 or '69. There was a photo layout in Life magazine, I think it was, detailing the funeral. They had photos of the old director, and I liked his look, especially his hat. I tried to imagine his thoughts at his own funeral. Death is the fate of us all, of course, and I suppose the moment defines us as human beings... given the reality, however absurd it may seem to us, that we are born only to die."b, 21(Prof. E. R. Beardsley, October 2003)

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Death is the fate of us all, of course, and I suppose the moment defines us as human beings... given the reality, however absurd it may seem to us, that we are born only to die."
    b, 21(Prof. E. R. Beardsley, October 2003)
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I don't like thinkin' about that kind of stuff.