Gamble and Huff on NPR

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
a href="http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97506729" target="_blank"1http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97506729/a1b, 21b, 21b, 21From what I heard, aren't they notoriously reluctant to give interviews? b, 21b, 21If so, nice job Fresh Air!

Comments

• I checked this last week. Good interview.b, 21b, 21But she asked if Hip Hop deaded their movement. Ehhhh.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I checked this last week. Good interview.
    b, 21
    b, 21But she asked if Hip Hop deaded their movement. Ehhhh.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That wacky Terry!

• The way it was phrased seemed like Hip Hop was the Mothership that killed off R&B. In 1983 Hip Hop wasnt the radio force she seemed to imply. R&B was still very much the dominant style for Black Radio. By the time Gamble and Huff started to slow down, Hip Hop was still a minor style. There were other factors than The Raps that made G&H's Philly Soul "out-dated".b, 21b, 21Besides that it was cool.b, 21b, 21My co-worker always jokes onn how NPR likes to discuss "How Hip Hop is effecting the Youth".....

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21From what I heard, aren't they notoriously reluctant to give interviews?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21When John Jackson wrote his Philly Sound history a few years back (A House On Fire), IIRC Huff talked, Gamble didn't.

• Is it coincidence that a Deluxe CD Box Of Philly Soul about to drop?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21That wacky Terry!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Slight thread derailment - I hate it when interviewers and historians do stories on older R&B and throw in a gratuitous hip-hop/rap mention, be it bad or good. It just has this whole old-folks-trying-to-stay-contemporary stank that just doesn't sound convincing. It's like this Sly Stone bio that just came out. Not a page goes by where the author doesn't make some statement like "this record predated the rap generation by x amount of years" or "the hip-hoppers didn't do this first, Mr. Man and Ms. Lady originally did it." It has its' place, sometimes, but for the most part it just sounds so forced.b, 21b, 21And no, I'm not saying this because I'm Soul Strut's resident hip-hop hater, either - it really does look fairly unnecessary...

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21That wacky Terry!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Slight thread derailment - I hate it when interviewers and historians do stories on older R&B and throw in a gratuitous hip-hop/rap mention, be it bad or good. It just has this whole old-folks-trying-to-stay-contemporary stank that just doesn't sound convincing. It's like this Sly Stone bio that just came out. Not a page goes by where the author doesn't make some statement like "this record predated the rap generation by x amount of years" or "the hip-hoppers didn't do this first, Mr. Man and Ms. Lady originally did it." It has its' place, sometimes, but for the most part it just sounds so
    forced.b, 21b, 21And no, I'm not saying this because I'm Soul Strut's resident hip-hop hater, either - it really does look fairly unnecessary... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Ususally its by cats who dont really know Hip Hop that speak like this.

• Let me revise my critque a little. She just mentions it, but doesnt emphasize Hip Hop's emergence.

Dude, straight up, I luh Terry Gross but at least 80% of the hip-hop interviews I've heard her do have been kind of painful. I have heard some more recent ones that were more competent but I'm usually waiting to wince.

• Any idea what percentage of non Philly International music is on this box set?b, 21b, 21This is long overdue.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21That wacky Terry!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Slight thread derailment - I hate it when interviewers and historians do stories on older R&B and throw in a gratuitous hip-hop/rap mention, be it bad or good. It just has this whole old-folks-trying-to-stay-contemporary stank that just doesn't sound convincing. It's like this Sly Stone bio that just came out. Not a page goes by where the author doesn't make some statement like "this record predated the rap generation by x amount of years" or "the hip-hoppers didn't do this first, Mr. Man and Ms. Lady originally did it." It has its' place, sometimes, but for the most part it just sounds so
    forced.b, 21b, 21And no, I'm not saying this because I'm Soul Strut's resident hip-hop hater, either - it really does look fairly unnecessary... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21the rock equivalent of this was punk, all of a sudden in the minds of many cultural critics it was 'year zero' & the central critera for evaluating a group was whether they were punk, proto-punk, dinosaur-rock-that-punk-was-rebelling-against, post-punk or whatever b, 21b, 21hip hop can take this recontextualization even further in that it often leads to a mindstate where other music is primarily evaluated in terms of whether it can be sampled for a beat yob, 21b, 21"this pete drake track is cool, a beatmaker could totally flip that intro.."

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Dude, straight up, I luh Terry Gross but at least 80% of the hip-hop interviews I've heard her do have been kind of painful. I have heard some more recent ones that were more competent but I'm usually waiting to wince.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21pretty much. the Rza one had some uncomfortable moments for me.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Any idea what percentage of non Philly International music is on this box set?
    b, 21
    b, 21This is long overdue.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21If it didn't include a fair helping of Invictus and other early 70s productions it would be criminal

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Any idea what percentage of non Philly International music is on this box set?
    b, 21
    b, 21This is long overdue.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21If it didn't include a fair helping of Invictus and other early 70s productions it would be criminal
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Since all Invictus records were evidently done in Detroit, they would have no business being on a Philly-based box set. b, 21b, 21However, for the sake of completeness it would be good to get some non-PI stuff on the box (particularly Thom Bell's productions).

• I realize I'm thinking of Holland Dozier. I should drink coffee before poasting. b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.tikirobot.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/f.jpg"1

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hahah... OOF.

• We might as well morph this mutha into a Gamble and Huff thread while were at it.b, 21b, 21I'm lookin forward to the liner notes of this BOX.b, 21b, 21Shit this deserves a damn documentary.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Shit, Gamble and Huff's work OUTSIDE of music deserves a documentary.

• Someone need to do a SERIOUS pre-Philly Intl Philly soul box set. There's so much gold out there (much of it Gamble/Huff related) on small local labels...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The Philadelphia Roots one is pretty good - definitely some pre TSOP steez. Also there's a comp out there called MFSB (standing for Mother Funking "something something") that's really good too...b, 21b, 21Found it: a href="http://www.discogs.com/release/1134607" target="_blank"1http://www.discogs.com/release/1134607/a1

• we back on?b, 21b, 21Testing Testing....1,2,.....

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21We might as well morph this mutha into a Gamble and Huff thread while were at it.
    b, 21
    b, 21I'm lookin forward to the liner notes of this BOX.
    b, 21
    b, 21Shit this deserves a damn documentary.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Didn't Terri Gross mention something coming up on PBS in December. Not sure if it was Gamble and Huff or Philly International though.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21The Philadelphia Roots one is pretty good - definitely some pre TSOP steez. Also there's a comp out there called MFSB (standing for Mother Funking "something something") that's really good too...
    b, 21
    b, 21Found it:
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21been wondering about that. I have this iphone note pad thingy of joints I need to peep and that is on it.

The boxset is VERY "greatest hits." Even at 4-CDs, I just didn't think it broke much new ground. Hopefully, this will be the beginning of a much deeper exploration of the Philly Int'l catalog but I can't see too many strutters being that into "Love Train" since they likely already own all of it.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 I can't see too many strutters being that into "Love Train" since they likely already own all of it.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21uuuuuh...only if "love train" was a tepid private "boner" or some shite.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    PBS is doin a feature for the LOVE TRAIN BOX

Why are the O'Jays singing People Get Ready?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    oh man I put this on for 30 seconds a little while ago -b, 21McFadden & Whitehead trying to get through "Ain't No Stoppingb, 21Us Now" ... impossible not to enjoy that song, and they getb, 21an A for effort, but they looked and sounded OLD. Had to b, 21change it, too uncomfortable. Great song, tho.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21oh man I put this on for 30 seconds a little while ago -
    b, 21McFadden & Whitehead trying to get through "Ain't No Stopping
    b, 21Us Now" ... impossible not to enjoy that song, and they get
    b, 21an A for effort, but they looked and sounded OLD. Had to
    b, 21change it, too uncomfortable. Great song, tho.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The music sounded great. And I loved how Jean Carn filled in.b, 21b, 21Im Old tho