MY TO PRAYERS TO LONDON

DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
TO ANY, IF A STRUTER OR NOT,I KEEP YOU ALL IN MY PRAYERS!ITS NOT FAIR TO ANY CIVILIAN TO LIVE WITH THE FEAR AND INSUCURITY OF LIFE BE THREATENED EVERYDAY .PEACE AND LOVE STAY STRONG

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    British Police Evacuate 3 Subway Stations After Explosions

E-Mail This
    Printer-Friendly
    Reprints

By ALAN COWELL
    Published: July 21, 2005
    LONDON, July 21 - Just two weeks after a string of attacks on buses and subways in London that killed 56 people, the British police evacuated three subway stations in the city today after small explosions that sent commuters into a panic. But casualty numbers appeared to be low. The police said the Oval subway station in south London, Shepherd's Bush in the west and Warren Street in central London had been evacuated. There was also a small explosion on the No. 26 bus in the Hackney Road section that blew out the bus windows, police said.

Police with sniffer dogs took up positions outside some of the stations and set up cordons, while sirens blared from ambulances racing to the scene. Initial reports from witnesses said smoke had been seen at one station.

"There were four explosions, or attempts at explosions," Sir Ian Blair, the head of Scotland Yard, said.

At the moment the casualty numbers were low in the explosions, and it was still unclear what had happened, but the "bombs appeared to be smaller" than those detonated on July 7, he said.

He appealed to London residents to "stay where you are."

The city still appears to be on edge two weeks after the coordinated bombings on July 7 that killed 56 people. "Everyone was panicking and screaming," said one witness quoted on the British television station Sky News after the incidents today. Another witness described what he said sounded like champagne corks popping.

A male witness who did not identify himself told CNN: "I was in the carriage, reading my book, on the northbound train on the Victoria line. We smelled burning wires, and then suddenly, everyone started to panic and started running from one carriage to the next carriage. Everyone was panicking, making their way to the next carriage, screaming, leaving their shoes -- one lady left both of her shoes. There was no way you could get out of the carriage ... I just said my prayers and waited for it to happen."

There were no reports of any injuries on the bus that was traveling from Waterloo to Hackney in the east of city. The incident occurred in the Shoreditch area, an unidentified spokesman for the bus company said, according to Reuters. "The driver heard a bang he believed came from the upper desk of the bus," the spokesman said.

Britain has been grasping for ways to explain why four British Muslims rode into London aboard a commuter train with backpacks of explosives that detonated on three subway trains and a double-decker bus two weeks ago.

Sir Ian said that he was attending a high level security committee meeting today chaired by the British Prime Minister, Tony Blair, who was to speak publicly about the situation shortly.

At one station at Warren Street, a commuter interviewed by telephone on television said that there was chaos, with passengers evacuating and helping others up the stairs, although passengers did not know what exits to use amid the screaming and panic. "Lots of people were running into my carriage," the woman said, adding that someone then activated the passenger alarm in the car.

The witness said she smelled smoke but did not hear anything that might have been an explosion.

A British police officer, who declined to be named under police rules, said that at 12:38 p.m. an unidentified person threw a rucksack onto a northbound train and that some kind of explosion ensued. The officer said the person who threw the bag ran off and escaped capture by subway travelers.

The effects of the attacks on July 7 in London were also felt in the United States, with heightened security steps put into place in the days afterward. The New York City police departments had been putting officers on most trains during rush hours and they have also increased security generally in subway stations. There was no announcement of an increase in security this morning in the immediate aftermath of the London incidents.

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    MY BUILDING WHERE I WORK JUST HAD A FIRE DRILL,SOME PEOPLE PANICKED SOME JUST SAW IT AS FREE TIME TO SOCIALIZE.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    No-one's quite sure what's going on but no reports of injuries as yet. The police issued a statement that it was "serious" and that people should stay where they are. Of course, the minute people heard that they all headed out the door and started trying to get home. Me included.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Terrorists man..... what a bunch of straight-up FOLLS.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Terrorists man..... what a bunch of straight-up FOLLS.

cosign

stiff upper lip & all

• edubedub 715 Posts
    so, that's it huh?... another terrorist attack!?

excuse me for being blunt, but this stinks to high hell. I'm aware not all the details are figured out, but keep in mind that Congress is set to renew the PATRIOT ACT this week...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    so, that's it huh?... another terrorist attack!?

excuse me for being blunt, but this stinks to high hell. I'm aware not all the details are figured out, but keep in mind that Congress is set to renew the PATRIOT ACT this week...

what really shocks me about this news is there was no deaths, possibly one or two injuies but its like dominated the news meanwhile there have been repeated suicide bombings in Iraq that seem to fall off the top story area of the news and lay somewhere near the middle or not really reported at all.
    Should we really value life in one country over another?

• but keep in mind that Congress is set to renew the PATRIOT ACT this week...
    and we all know how them patriots act...

• edubedub 715 Posts
    The headlines immediately had " Attackers meant to kill" ( BBC ), yet apparently the "bombs" were just detonators (not a complete bomb) - which indicated that they were not intended to cause maximum death.

I have a sinking feeling we're being manipulated... and not by the so-called terrorists.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    The headlines immediately had " Attackers meant to kill" ( BBC ), yet apparently the "bombs" were just detonators (not a complete bomb) - which indicated that they were not intended to cause maximum death.

I have a sinking feeling we're being manipulated... and not by the so-called terrorists.

i believe they were hooked up to explosives and it didn't go off

some of you dudes are fucking unreal with your conspiracy shit

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

what really shocks me about this news is there was no deaths, possibly one or two injuies but its like dominated the news meanwhile there have been repeated suicide bombings in Iraq, hundred of thousands starving in North Korea, whole villages being destroyed in Sudan, etc.[/b] that seem to fall off the top story area of the news and lay somewhere near the middle or not really reported at all.

• edubedub 715 Posts

i believe they were hooked up to explosives and it didn't go off

some of you dudes are fucking unreal with your conspiracy shit

yeah, this is what the BBC article has about it:

He said there were suggestions that the rucksacks themselves, as well as the choice of three tube trains and one bus as targets, all suggested a similar method of attacks.

There was also speculation that the devices were so similar to those used two weeks ago that they may even have been part of the same batch.

You don't find it *unreal* that two attacks, supposedly planned and carried out by the same group, had such non-similarities, despite the fact that they were set up to appear identical??

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    people need to ease up on this comparative #'s game......

you can't equate #'s w/ relations, personal experiences etc.......

More people in the western world have ties to London than say N. Korea or Iraq, it's just the way it is. I'm not discounting the deaths of people in those respective regions, but more people have family and fronds over there.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

You don't find it *unreal* that two attacks, supposedly planned and carried out by the same group, had such non-similarities, despite the fact that they were set up to appear identical??

well as far as i know the british authorities were looking for some other guys connected with the last bombing and as of today they still had not found them, if my options are

a.this attackwas carried out by the same assholes that were responsible for the last attacks

or

b.the british government planted these attacks themselves in order to [insert conspiracy theory nut job goal]

i will pick A

and i really liked what john howard had to say...

PRIME MIN. HOWARD: Could I start by saying the prime minister and I were having a discussion when we heard about it. My first reaction was to get some more information. And I really don't want to add to what the prime minister has said. It's a matter for the police and a matter for the British authorities to talk in detail about what has happened here.

Can I just say very directly, Paul, on the issue of the policies of my government and indeed the policies of the British and American governments on Iraq, that the first point of reference is that once a country allows its foreign policy to be determined by terrorism, it's given the game away, to use the vernacular. And no Australian government that I lead will ever have policies determined by terrorism or terrorist threats, and no self-respecting government of any political stripe in Australia would allow that to happen.

Can I remind you that the murder of 88 Australians in Bali took place before the operation in Iraq.

And I remind you that the 11th of September occurred before the operation in Iraq.

Can I also remind you that the very first occasion that bin Laden specifically referred to Australia was in the context of Australia's involvement in liberating the people of East Timor. Are people by implication suggesting we shouldn't have done that?

When a group claimed responsibility on the website for the attacks on the 7th of July, they talked about British policy not just in Iraq, but in Afghanistan. Are people suggesting we shouldn't be in Afghanistan?

When Sergio de Mello was murdered in Iraq -- a brave man, a distinguished international diplomat, a person immensely respected for his work in the United Nations -- when al Qaeda gloated about that, they referred specifically to the role that de Mello had carried out in East Timor because he was the United Nations administrator in East Timor.

Now I don't know the mind of the terrorists. By definition, you can't put yourself in the mind of a successful suicide bomber. I can only look at objective facts, and the objective facts are as I've cited. The objective evidence is that Australia was a terrorist target long before the operation in Iraq. And indeed, all the evidence, as distinct from the suppositions, suggests to me that this is about hatred of a way of life, this is about the perverted use of principles of the great world religion that, at its root, preaches peace and cooperation. And I think we lose sight of the challenge we have if we allow ourselves to see these attacks in the context of particular circumstances rather than the abuse through a perverted ideology of people and their murder.

PRIME MIN. BLAIR: And I agree 100 percent with that. (Laughter.)[/b]

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    A U.K. report on terrorism right after the 1st set of bombings also said that the invasion of Iraq has opened up the U.K. to more, not less terrorism. The invasion has radicalized a whole new generation of Arabs around the world making the fight against terrorism harder, not easier. Yes, Islamist terrorists existed before Sept. 11 and before the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq. But that doesn't mean you can't discount the 2 recent wars and say they're not a factor.

A perfect example of this new group of radicals was discussed by two separate studies of foreign fighters in Iraq. One study was done by Israelis, the other by Saudis. Both found that almost all of the foreign fighters captured or killed in Iraq had NO PREVIOUS radical past nor involvement in terrorist training camps or previous Islamist struggles like Chechnya or Afghanistan. Almost all of them became radicalized by the invasion of Iraq and saw it as proof of what Al Qaeda had said about the West trying to destroy Islam.

There have been similar studies by the CIA and American think tanks that have noted that the invasion of Iraq has increased support for Al Qaeda and the Islamist cause throughout the Muslim world.

• edubedub 715 Posts

"The intention must have been to kill," Ian Blair said.

Passengers on at least two of the "Tube" trains told of would-be bombers fleeing after the small, near-simultaneous lunchtime explosions, which police said might have been detonators going off but failing to trigger a bomb.

Friday newspapers focused on the fact the perpetrators appeared to have got away.

"Four suicide bombers on the loose," was the tabloid Sun's headline.

"I was sitting on the Tube not paying much attention to anything and I heard a pop, like a really big balloon had burst, then I saw a little smoke," passenger Kate Reid told the BBC.

"I saw a bag on the floor next to a young man who looked really scared. We pulled into the Oval station and he just sprinted away as soon as the doors opened."

wired news

radicalized extremists, my ass.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

what really shocks me about this news is there was no deaths, possibly one or two injuies but its like dominated the news meanwhile there have been repeated suicide bombings in Iraq, hundred of thousands starving in North Korea, whole villages being destroyed in Sudan, etc.[/b] that seem to fall off the top story area of the news and lay somewhere near the middle or not really reported at all.

great elaboration on my point (no joke). and I realize some countries will always get less press just cause they aren't as sexy to cover, but Iraq definitly has Americas eyes and ears, I haven't had a chance to check the wires today but I know there was a suicide bombing outside a recruiting office in baghdad yesterday, 6 died and it barely found its way on the news before the sports report.

have we send Iraq back into that "we used to care" package that Afghanastan got wrapped up in?