Who's familiar with Freddie Hughes?

Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I'm trying to find out any info on this guy. They played a song by him on satellite radio the other day and I can't figure out what the hell the song comes from. The name of the song is "Ooh Wee Baby I Love You". From what little I can find online the song originally came out as a single in 1965. The version I heard on satellite radio sounded almost more like it was live though, and if not live recorded later than 1965 just based on the production. b, 21b, 21b, 21/object1b, 21b, 21b, 21That's the 1965 version and not the one I'm looking for. The one I heard sounded more 70's-ish. Only reason I even really care much is that it sounds like it's the source for the sample used in an early 90's song of some sort, maybe "Ditty" by Paperboy, something like that. The song sounded pretty cool but I can't find it anywhere. Anyhow, anybody know this guy's discrography? Allmusic's discog was lacking at best. Mostly just curious what albums he might've done in the early 70's that might have a version of "Ooh Wee Baby I Love You".

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This the same Freddie Hughes from Oakland?

• It's on the Brunswick Lp Fred Hughes "Baby Boy", also released on 45 with "I Understand" on the flip

• Here's what I wrote when I posted a Chicago soul mix at the blog:b, 21b, 21b, 21"The next number is a tune that I was unaware of until it was posted over at the great Number One Songs In Heaven blog. Fred Hughes was an LA based artist that was signed by VeeJay???s West Coast office, and went on to record almost exclusively for Chicago labels like Chess and Brunswick. ???Oowee Baby I Love You??? was a #3 R&B hit in 1965. It has a great atmospheric, slow-burn, with ringing piano and female backing vocals, as well as a great vocal by Hughes."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I really don't think Freddie Hughes (who released an excellent LP on Wand) and Fred Hughes (who released a seriously tepid LP on Brunswick) are the same dude.b, 21b, 21Paychecks put me up on the former, whose album I highly recommend.b, 21b, 21

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Picked up a pristine copy of this at FMU, after trying to get one for years.b, 21b, 21Great album. b, 21b, 21I like a couple of tracks on the Fred Hughes LP, but yeah, they aren't theb, 21same person anyway.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Not the same person???? Whoa, I learnt something new today. Anyways, as stated above, he did redo the song for Brunswick in 1970. There is also a version on Atlantic by Roscoe Robinson.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Freddie Hughes = Bay Areab, 21Fred Hughes = not Bay Area