Record Sound Snobs

MassiveMassive 194 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I still have people telling me their original pressing sounds better than my 180g re-issue.b, 21b, 21Are these people nuts or do my ears just not work properly? I can't hear a difference. Please educate me soul strut. Thank you.

Comments

• your ears are broke.b, 21b, 21b, 21Not really, but 8 out of 10 times, the OGs are sonically superior...remember its 2008, shit goes to digital before it gets cut nowadays...a recording in 1970 wasnt made for digital formats, it was meant for tape...shit gets lost in the translation. Even though you are listening to vinyl, somewhere along the line, it was a bunch of ones and zeros...doesnt sound the same.

• if there is a God in heaven, please, Reynaldo to thread in the next three poasts.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    b, 21b, 21awwww man, i remember you posting this a while back. this is classic material.b, 21b, 21excellent.

• OH HOT STAMPER YOU DO SO MANY DUTTY CRIMES

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    When was your last hearing test? They say the high-end goes first...

/object1

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    me...200mhz to 15khz...how about y'all???

20 Hz to 18 Khz

• Quote:h, 21b, 21/object1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21This test is bullshit, it's youtube dude... The compression they use cuts it off at about 13k, you can hear some weird distorting before then and it drops completely. b, 21b, 21I used the signal generator in Protools and sound forge with Adam A7 monitors. I can hear up to about 16k. Years ago I had my ears professionally cleaned and I could hear higher. I don't know if the same would apply now. Either way I'm not too upset as I don't really need to hear that high and I mix/record music regularly. The quality of a pressing can't be determined only by the frequency range. Cymbals are really the only things commonly in those upper ranges. b, 21b, 21As for the debate 180grams vs the originals I haven't had the chance to make direct comparisons but in my experience original pressings sound better than reissues. Sometimes it's not a big difference, other times it is. I think the main point is that old vinyl was mastered and pressed using a 100% analog signal path by people that knew how to do it well and did it often. Also the mastering tapes were brand new at the time. b, 21Now it isn't as common to master and press vinyl. The original master tapes are old and likely need to be baked in order to play which can lose frequencies. Digital equipment is used (loss of detail) for capture. Also the pressing equipment is most likely old and the people running it are probably not at the same skill level.b, 21b, 21I find some reissues to be a bit dull sounding and lack detail, I still buy some though cause I don't want to drop a ton of cash on the originals. What can you do....b, 21b, 21p.s. This won't be too apparent if you don't have a decent cartridge/preamp/speaker setup

Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21/object1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21This test is bullshit, it's youtube dude... The compression they use cuts it off at about 13k, you can hear some weird distorting before then and it drops completely. b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21I disagree. If that's as high as you can hear I would look into that.

• i was hearing something very quiet at 18k, but nothing at 19 or 20.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21I still have people telling me their original pressing sounds better than my 180g re-issue.b, 21b, 21Are these people nuts or do my ears just not work properly? I can't hear a difference. Please educate me soul strut. Thank you. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Uh, when people start taking things to that level it usually means there is some other things going on with them i.e. unresolved personal issues. b, 21b, 21Even if there is a difference, it's probably so minimal that it really makes no difference. I mean how consequential would a difference be any way.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    A lot of current 180g reissues are shit and the difference b/t them and the OGs will be obvious.b, 21b, 21Major trend in recent years toward pressing shallow, shittily-mastered grooves into thick pieces of wax, because they can slap that "180 gram" sticker on there which will convince enough people that its quality that its worthwhile to them.

Quote:h, 21b, 21 How consequential would a difference be anyway[?] b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21For the non-hearing-impaired, aural bliss versus slow torture. Quite literally.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Mine drops at 13k, but If I ride the volume control up from there I can hear the 18k.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21This test is bullshit, it's youtube dude... The compression they use cuts it off at about 13k, you can hear some weird distorting before then and it drops completely. b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21I disagree. If that's as high as you can hear I would look into that. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I started to do it, but then thought it might be one of those goof videos that throws up some hideous ghoul and scares the shit of you that I always fall for. Not this time.