who is copping/ has copped a Storm?

chasechase 767 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
heard some mixed reviews... I'm a Curve man, and I don't know about typing on a touch screen.b, 21b, 21b, 21

Comments

• i want one. you know what the deal is if you have an existing verizon contract? will they still give you a reduced rate or do i have to wait 2 years?

• i so want to get one but i'm going to wait 6 months for the Blackberry Lobot

• Quote:h, 21b, 21i want one. you know what the deal is if you have an existing verizon contract? will they still give you a reduced rate or do i have to wait 2 years? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I'm up for a "new every two" credit of $50 with a renewed two year contract, on top of that they have a $50 mail in rebate, so it can be had for at least $150... b, 21b, 21don't know if that helps you though.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That shit looks kind of ill.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    worst of both worlds

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Yeah I heard some mixed reviews about it too. No WIFI kind of sucks, no app store till next year, and I heard typing on it can be kind of a pain in the ass. b, 21gizmodo did a big review on it recentlyb, 21http://gizmodo.com/5093715/blackberry-storm-review-verdict-not-quite-a-perfect-storm/a1b, 21b, 21I love my iphone so this thing seems subpar to me, but If i had verizon and was in the market for a smartphone I would mess with it.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    tried it this morning. Its a little over 500 with no new contract. I have to wait about two months to renew. b, 21b, 21Anyways, typing on it is diffrent. Its not a typical touchscreen like the iphone (or ipod touch, what i have), touching the screen only highlights the screen the key, the screen actually goes in and clicks. I typed on it relatively easily (especially in comparison on typing on my ipod touch), was able to type at the same speed i type on my blackberry world edition phone. b, 21b, 21The browser is improved, but still not touching safari. But still way better than the previous blackberry browser. Has a zoom in feature, does not compare to the safari's zoom of course, but still (have to hit the blackberry key, then select zoom in).b, 21b, 21I have had verizon for about 8 years now, still staying loyal to them. Considered switching to att for an iphone, but still have yet to adapt to their touchscreen keyboard (via ipod touch), and am to trained to blackberry's email capabilities. b, 21b, 21Each verizon store here in MIA had 10 phones each, the store i was at sold out in 2 hours. Half the customers paid full retial price (500 plus). Anyways, unless verizon gets another blackberry, i will probably get the storm in two months when its time to renew.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    oh yeah, i dont think a single phone by verizon has wifi (might be wrong). I imagine if another carrier picks up this phone, it will probably have wifi.b, 21b, 21Verizon makes it mandatory to get their data package when you have a smartphone. So i guess this is why they dont do wifi.

a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/technology/personaltech/27pogue.html?em" target="_blank"1/font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21worst of both worlds
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1/a1b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21

• ^^ imma read this, but please poast moreb, 21b, 21sorry i trolled upthread. i might get one of these. ideally i'd like a business platform phone that the it folks can hook up into the work network real easy. iphones are sweet but not ready for prime time when it comes to grown up people jobs. b, 21b, 21another bad review here: a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/technology/personaltech/27pogue.html?ex=1385442000&en=2b65caebefac9ef2&ei=5124&partner=facebook&exprod=facebook" target="_blank"1http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/techno...exprod=facebook/a1

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't get why anyone would think an iPhone clone is going to improve upon that design. RIM would be better off finding something completely new - rather than derivative - to introduce.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21^^ imma read this, but please poast more
    b, 21
    b, 21sorry i trolled upthread. i might get one of these. ideally i'd like a business platform phone that the it folks can hook up into the work network real easy. iphones are sweet but not ready for prime time when it comes to grown up people jobs.
    b, 21
    b, 21another bad review here:
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Thats the review I posted. b, 21b, 21I'm with Manny, even if the reveiws were halfway decent, I dont understand why anybody would ever want a touchscreen blackberry.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ehhzu7.gif" alt="" 21

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The commercials are hilarious: "wait...it clicks! I've never seen a touchscreen that's clicked before!"b, 21b, 21Pogue's review is a never-ending series of slams. If I were RIM execs, I'd be embarrassed as hell.

• "wait it clicks" voiceover has to be that douchey guy from the office u.s. who always looks at the camera

• reskresk 391 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21i want one. you know what the deal is if you have an existing verizon contract? will they still give you a reduced rate or do i have to wait 2 years?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21you can renew every year online (this is what i do). Just have to set up an online account. I think you would loose the rebate.