styrene pressings -not so bad related

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
yeah yeahb, 21everyone loves heavy wax b, 21the thicker the betterb, 21b, 21but today i got the "black girl" ost on fantasy and its fuckking loud!b, 21[much louder than the manhan street lp]b, 21b, 21then i busted out some weldon irvine and new birth-all on flimsy ass styrene [RCA related} and they are all LOUD as hellb, 21flimsy and wobbily to the touch but damm the plastic can hold some mastering punchb, 21b, 21what you think ?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I thought styrene only related to 45s? I know the kind of quality you're talking about re fantasy and RCA dynaflex pressings, but isn't that still vinyl?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i dunno b, 21i thought dynaflex was styrene or at least super low grade vinyl?

My understanding is that Fantasy used recycled vinyl, and that the RCA pressings are just really thinly pressed vinyl. I mean, I don't notice an increased case of cue burn on LPs on those labels, whereas cuting a styrene 45 burns that shit up with the quickness.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    b, 21b, 21Right--dynaflex is not styrene, it is just thin vinyl. I don't think any LP was made out of styrene, if it was it would be very breakable.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21flimsy and wobbily to the touch b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21styrene doesn't wobble, styrene breaks.b, 21I've never seen a styrene LP.b, 21b, 21Styrene has advantagas, mainly because scratches are much less audible than on vinyl and if handled properly and tracking force and anti skating are adjusted right, cue burn isn't that much of a problem.b, 21

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Styrene is what, say, the Cap City, some People, and most late Curtom 45s were pressed on. It was a cost-effective material that ultimately didn't/doesn't bear up to sustained needle friction. I have never seen a 10" or 12" styrene pressing of anything. The Dynaflex process is specifically a 70s RCA-copyrighted product.b, 21b, 21There are a few benefits to styrene, but they're limited primarily to scratch-resistance vis-??-vis play audio.

• So, any perceived benefits to Dynaflex?

I don't mind the dynaflex pressings, assuming they're not warped. Like Kala said, they do sound pretty good.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21So, any perceived benefits to Dynaflex? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I never noticed any problems with Dynaflex.b, 21b, 21Benefits is it is light. Smaller carbon foot prints. b, 21b, 21[ecoguy] I only collect dynaflex records. Columbia wasted so much oil making that thick ass records. Plus they cost more to ship. [/ecoguy]

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21So, any perceived benefits to Dynaflex? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I never noticed any problems with Dynaflex.b, 21b, 21Benefits is it is light. Smaller carbon foot prints. b, 21b, 21[ecoguy] I only collect dynaflex records. Columbia wasted so much oil making that thick ass records. Plus they cost more to ship. [/ecoguy] b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21PROJECT GREENCR8 REDUX

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21styrene [RCA related} b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/trophy.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif" alt="" 21

• I have a styrene LP, my "The Man with the Golden Arm" OST is styrene...a lot of 60s budget LPs (ie stuff on Crown and Alshire) are styrene(much thicker than styrene 45s however)...the size makes them a lot more breakable than the 45s...but they have the same advantages as the 45s, scratches arent as audible, etc. I never completely understood the intense hate against styrene 45s, I have some that are grey they are so scrathced but sound perfect.

Isn't it obvious?b, 21b, 21CUEBRRRRNNNE

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Isn't it obvious?b, 21b, 21CUEBRRRRNNNE b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Johnny Hammond - Gears 45 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21b, 21WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I have a styrene LP, my "The Man with the Golden Arm" OST is styrene...a lot of 60s budget LPs (ie stuff on Crown and Alshire) are styrene(much thicker than styrene 45s however)...the size makes them a lot more breakable than the 45s...but they have the same advantages as the 45s, scratches arent as audible, etc. I never completely understood the intense hate against styrene 45s, I have some that are grey they are so scrathced but sound perfect. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I have a few Alshire LPs, but I assumed that they were merely made of cheap, recycled vinyl. They have markedly jut-raised rims (instead of a tapered incline) to keep the needle on the record for the first few pre-channel rotations.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I have a styrene LP, my "The Man with the Golden Arm" OST is styrene...a lot of 60s budget LPs (ie stuff on Crown and Alshire) are styrene(much thicker than styrene 45s however)...the size makes them a lot more breakable than the 45s...but they have the same advantages as the 45s, scratches arent as audible, etc. I never completely understood the intense hate against styrene 45s, I have some that are grey they are so scrathced but sound perfect. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I have a few Alshire LPs, but I assumed that they were merely made of cheap, recycled vinyl. They have markedly jut-raised rims (instead of a tapered incline) to keep the needle on the record for the first few pre-channel rotations. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I thought they were styrene, because of the glued on labels like the 45s and seem to be injected molded with seams and other signs of injection molding

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Huh. Could be. I'll pull my copy of The Black Diamonds and check it out.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I think styrene lp's were more common in the 50's and early 60's. Can't really think of anything I've seen past maybe the mid-60's at the latest.