Menahan Street Band (GOAT?)

willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Finally copped the new/debut Make The Road By Walking LP. I'm not seeing nearly as much love for this on the strut as I expected. Have people not picked it up yet or are y'all just not too excited about it?b, 21b, 21I've had it on repeat since Friday, and I seriously think it's the best record of the year BY FAR. If not the best record of the 00's...

Comments

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    It's a good record, yes.

• Funny, I brought that into my class-room taoday and my students were diggin it and asking me who it was.b, 21So, me and four 14 year-olds ride for that album.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I saw them live a few weeks ago and they were pretty damn amazing. Those horns are just incredible. It was amazing to see that good music like that attracts a big crowd and actually sold out the venue. What a difference to about ten years ago when Sharon Jones or Lee Fields & The Soul Providers had to play in front of 50-80 people.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I like it a lot. It's pretty great. At times a little slow though.b, 21b, 21- spidey

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 the best record of the year BY FAR. If not the best record of the 00's... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I can't cosign on that kind of hype but I do really like the album. How do you think it compares to the El Michels Affair album though? Very similar, IMO.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    It's is quite good. Feelin' that production.

• I still don't have this entire album, but "Going The Distance" is my shit

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Finally copped the new/debut Make The Road By Walking LP. I'm not seeing nearly as much love for this on the strut as I expected. Have people not picked it up yet or are y'all just not too excited about it?b, 21b, 21I've had it on repeat since Friday, and I seriously think it's the best record of the year BY FAR. If not the best record of the 00's... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21please to poast your other fav album of the yearb, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21b, 21I like the EL Michaels, pretty solid stuff. It gets a little similar sounding after a few songs but I think that's really because the lack of vocals not because dudes can't write and play great music.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Finally copped the new/debut Make The Road By Walking LP. I'm not seeing nearly as much love for this on the strut as I expected. Have people not picked it up yet or are y'all just not too excited about it?b, 21b, 21I've had it on repeat since Friday, and I seriously think it's the best record of the year BY FAR. If not the best record of the 00's... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21please to poast your other fav album of the yearb, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21b, 21I like the EL Michaels, pretty solid stuff. It gets a little similar sounding after a few songs but I think that's really because the lack of vocals not because dudes can't write and play great music. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21hm, other fav album of the year...b, 21b, 21probably Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling...b, 21I really liked the Karl & The Malcouns album, the new Connie Price & Keystones...b, 21loved FUN-DMC & Renaissance...b, 21and lastly gotta up hometown hero Quintron's Too Thirsty 4 Loveb, 21b, 21I guess there weren't too many amazing new albums this year IMHO. b, 21b, 21is the El Michels we're talking about the Sounding Out the City LP? I didn't think they'd put out another lp since then. If that's what's up then I love that record. I also really like the 45s they've had since then, but I think Make The Road is on another level. Better melodically but with that same nice mellow, breezy funk groove. And yes, I know that the 2 bands share something like 99.9% of their members.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i like itb, 21i just got it today and gave it the first spinb, 21i was suprised how "down tempo " it isb, 21i am not suprised it was sampled so soon [hova]b, 21it sounds as if they produced it to get sampled

• and yes, I probably over-hyped it, I was intentionally kind-of exaggerating. Kind of. I honestly would put it in the top ten records of 00's column, and also think that it's one of those records every Strutter would be wise to pick up.b, 21b, 21Ok, now let's turn this into a "what was the best album of 2008 thread".

• Just finished listening to it for the first time, it's a great album all around. Solid from start to finish. As an instrumental musician I have nothing but respect for what these guys do. After I soak this one in, I'd also like to check out that El Mitchel Affair album you guys are talking about. b, 21b, 21p.s. Does anyone own this on vinyl? Does your needle stick before the last untitled song? Methinks this is probably intentional...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Bought this for my mom on her 52nd birthday.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/GetOnMyComp_gm.jpg" alt="" 21

• i listen to this since two weeks like every seccond day, a nice album indeed but i wouldn't say it's the img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goat.gif" alt="" 21 from the 00s!b, 21there are other dope releases that deserve some more attentionb, 21(Lee Fields - Problems, Soul Investigators - Home Cooking maybe, Nicole Willis LP, even the Clutchy Hopkins - Clutch Of The Tiger is brilliant!)b, 21b, 21the Malcouns LP was mentioned already which i would consider at the best album of the yearb, 21b, 21...that psychedelic afro-kraut-funk is the img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/raw.gif" alt="" 21-shit!

• This Thread made me find out that this year I bought every record that El Michaels was involved. wow.b, 21Personally, I??m feeling Bronx River Parkway most.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I've been digging this LP, many spins at work.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21What a difference to about ten years ago when Sharon Jones or Lee Fields & The Soul Providers had to play in front of 50-80 people. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Hey sometimes they still do it for fun img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21b, 21

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21What a difference to about ten years ago when Sharon Jones or Lee Fields & The Soul Providers had to play in front of 50-80 people. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Hey sometimes they still do it for fun img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21.. looks more like 150-200 to me.b, 21You know what I mean with those early gigs in the 90s when nobody in NY seemed to give a damn about Funk or Soul. That said, I put up one show at Brownies back in '98 or so that really went over well and had people dancing on the tables. Sugarman Three, Mighty Imperials and Sharon Jones & The Soul Providers. What a night. Miles from Breakestra came by and gave me their first promo 45 which I played right away and had every single one of those notorious funk 45 collectros running to the decks to see what it was.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21
    b, 21b, 21Hey sometimes they still do it for fun img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21.. looks more like 150-200 to me.b, 21You know what I mean with those early gigs in the 90s when nobody in NY seemed to give a damn about Funk or Soul. That said, I put up one show at Brownies back in '98 or so that really went over well and had people dancing on the tables. Sugarman Three, Mighty Imperials and Sharon Jones & The Soul Providers. What a night. Miles from Breakestra came by and gave me their first promo 45 which I played right away and had every single one of those notorious funk 45 collectros running to the decks to see what it was. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21that sounds so cool dude!! img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21awesome reminisce

• Quote:h, 21b, 21
    b, 21b, 21.. looks more like 150-200 to me.b, 21You know what I mean with those early gigs in the 90s when nobody in NY seemed to give a damn about Funk or Soul. That said, I put up one show at Brownies back in '98 or so that really went over well and had people dancing on the tables. Sugarman Three, Mighty Imperials and Sharon Jones & The Soul Providers. What a night. Miles from Breakestra came by and gave me their first promo 45 which I played right away and had every single one of those notorious funk 45 collectros running to the decks to see what it was. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21the shows outside of NYC were even more poorly attended. I booked Daptone stuff in Fort Worth, TX and it was like pulling teeth to get people to come out...we were lucky if 50 people came out and this is in the early 00's....sheepishly handing over $400 to Bosco(after I convivnced them to play for the door after taking a bath on a Lee Fields show that I guaranteed them a grand and we only had about 35 people come through the door) apologizing that it was the best I could do...but they were cool about it and played as if there were 500 people in the club. Great band, great people

• YO I THINK I SEE SOME MEXICANS THERE. I CAN TELL EASILY YO!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21show at Brownies back in '98 or sob, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Taking me back right now. Wish I had been up on Sharon and them at that point. At the time I think I was really only checking for super-scientifical indie rap.b, 21b, 21I saw Menahan at Summerstage this past summer, and they started their set by announcing that it was their first show. They killed it too. Looking forward to coppin this album....

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21YO I THINK I SEE SOME MEXICANS THERE. I CAN TELL EASILY YO! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Good eye. Now tell me if they are from L.A. b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/badassbuddy_com-lowrider.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Or D.F.b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohmyer1.gif" alt="" 21

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohmyer1.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Hey your hair ain't so different.b, 21b, 21The guy he's talking to is wearing short shorts with those suspenders

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    His name is Donger

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21Hey your hair ain't so different.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21FIGHTING WORDS! My hair is infinitely better than that. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• I thought it was MIA 'Strut legend SCHNIPPER.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21YO I THINK I SEE SOME MEXICANS THERE. I CAN TELL EASILY YO! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Us latinos shall never forget that one.