Klosterman on Chinese Democracy

2»

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Oh and as much as I loved this band as a kid (I really did) I have no interest whatsoever in hearing this record...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    This shit seemed super gay to me even as a kid. I couldn't understand how a DUDE could listen to rock ballads. My cousin listened to this shit and I was like "this shit is for chicks" but I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I was like "yeah, this is cool, now lets check out this heavy d tape."

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21This shit seemed super gay to me even as a kid. I couldn't understand how a DUDE could listen to rock ballads. My cousin listened to this shit and I was like "this shit is for chicks" but I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I was like "yeah, this is cool, now lets check out this heavy d tape." b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21rap ballads rock ballads?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I think they had about 3 ballads out of their 1st four albums (which was like 200 songs). I could see how you might think they were a "ballad group" because they were all big hits, but the band was more popular and has more longevity than their competition in part due to their sac.

• Chinese Democracy= a whole big steaming pile of who gives a F*ckb, 21b, 21b, 21although I do want my free Dr. Pepper....

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I just hope Dr Dre's Detox doesnt become Hip Hops 'Chinese Democracy'...b, 21b, 21Speaking of ballads, my cousin sang one of GNRs ballads (November Rain I think) for a frien ds wedding, after the wife asked him to do it. He wasnt really feeling the 'ballad' shit so at the end of the song, he turns to the guitarist whos accompanying him and yells 'welcome to the jungle' and proceeds to rip into a version of that until they took the mic off him...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The night after the 92 MTV awards, I went to see Nirvana play a benefit show for the No on 9 campaign (anti-gay ballot measure here in OR). Krist and Kurt starting talking shit about Axl and how lame it was to have a Harley seat as your piano chair. Some dude starts heckling them so they invited him on stage. They let him say his piece about how Axl is a good guy. They weren't having it at all. I think they went right into Negative Creep. b, 21b, 21Someone has posted the clip on youtube (is there anything that isn't on there?)b, 21b, 21/object1b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Here's the G'n R' clip just to remind everyone what total douchetards those guys were. Check the goblet on the piano, pre-pimp chalice stylings? b, 21b, 21/object1

• in one of his books klausterman calls appetite something like the greatest debut album by a rock band ever.

• I expected to hate this but i'm actually feeling it a lil. Not sure why. I think maybe it's the sheer ambition of the record, even if its an ambition that doesn't come anywhere close to being realized. Its a crap album that deeply wants to be a work of genius where most of the contemporary rock albums you hear seem perfectly content with their crapness.

• It makes me sad to agree with trollboy, but he's precisely right. I have to admire dude for really caring about the finished product to the point where he spent 15 years and 11 million dollars making it. I've seen firsthand how so many bands just put some half-baked crap into the marketplace without any feeling of ownership or sense of artistic pride. Okay, so this mostly came out really wrong (especially that Buckethead guy and his nintendo game sounding guitar) but hell at least Axl really really tried and wanted to make a statement.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21It makes me sad to agree with trollboy, but he's precisely right. I have to admire dude for really caring about the finished product to the point where he spent 15 years and 11 million dollars making it. I've seen firsthand how so many bands just put some half-baked crap into the marketplace without any feeling of ownership or sense of artistic pride. Okay, so this mostly came out really wrong (especially that Buckethead guy and his nintendo game sounding guitar) but hell at least Axl really really tried and wanted to make a statement. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I see it as the complete opposite...the epitomy of arrogance, stupidity, and a complete rejection of reality. To think that what you have to say is that important to spend 15 years and 11 million dollars borders on meglomania. On top of that, att the end of the day all you have is rock record, one that cant even stand next to a record you recorded 20 years ago for a fraction of the money and time...the denial that this dude has to the fact he is not even relevant anymore is ridiculous. Also the fact that he calls it a Guns N Roses record is insane..its the Axl Rose Experience LP. Yawn.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21The night after the 92 MTV awards, I went to see Nirvana play a benefit show for the No on 9 campaign (anti-gay ballot measure here in OR). Krist and Kurt starting talking shit about Axl and how lame it was to have a Harley seat as your piano chair. Some dude starts heckling them so they invited him on stage. They let him say his piece about how Axl is a good guy. They weren't having it at all. I think they went right into Negative Creep. b, 21b, 21Someone has posted the clip on youtube (is there anything that isn't on there?)b, 21b, 21/object1b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Here's the G'n R' clip just to remind everyone what total douchetards those guys were. Check the goblet on the piano, pre-pimp chalice stylings? b, 21b, 21/object1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I think I would rather listen to 'November Rain' on infinity repeat than ever have to hear Kobain complain about anything in his whiny voice for even a minute, and I never cared for 'November Rain'.b, 21b, 21Chinese Democracy = Who caresb, 21but>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nirvana by a country mile

• although I was a Nirvana fan musically...I hate them for what they did to the actual rock star. I know I have a very antiquated idea of what a rock star is, but I will forever hate Nirvana for how they brought the whole "it could be you up on stage" thing to rock....just another version of "everybody gets a trophy"...I am sick and tired of seeing rock bands nowaday with this "awww shucks, Im just like you" shtick...F*ck that...this journalist calling this LP the "last album" is comedy, but a rephrasing of what is says is true..GnR were the last rock stars..in the sense of actual "rock stars". That indeed is extinct animal...Lemmy being an exception among few others. You want your rock bands to be something to aspire to, you want them to live a different, grander life than you lead...rock music is about escapism, going somewhere where you are not....I dont want to go to a show and see some overly humble dipshit...I wanna hear and see a red-eyed superhero...in addtition to top shelf rock music, the music is the most important thing obviously, but leave the "Im just like you" fake DIY, hippypunk bullshit at home. Please.

Quote:h, 21b, 21although I was a Nirvana fan musically...I hate them for what they did to the actual rock star. I know I have a very antiquated idea of what a rock star is, but I will forever hate Nirvana for how they brought the whole "it could be you up on stage" thing to rock....just another version of "everybody gets a trophy"...I am sick and tired of seeing rock bands nowaday with this "awww shucks, Im just like you" shtick...F*ck that...this journalist calling this LP the "last album" is comedy, but a rephrasing of what is says is true..GnR were the last rock stars..in the sense of actual "rock stars". That indeed is extinct animal...Lemmy being an exception among few others. You want your rock bands to be something to aspire to, you want them to live a different, grander life than you lead...rock music is about escapism, going somewhere where you are not....I dont want to go to a show and see some overly humble dipshit...I wanna hear and see a red-eyed superhero...in addtition to top shelf rock music, the music is the most important thing obviously, but leave the "Im just like you" fake DIY, hippypunk bullshit at home. Please. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I'm ok with the "regular guy"/Steve Miller rockstar types, just please leave all your complain-y shit out, thanks. In this context, this is why I find Dave Grohl to be infinitely easier to take than Cobain ever was. At least dude has a sense of humor and WANTS to be a rock star.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21although I was a Nirvana fan musically...I hate them for what they did to the actual rock star. I know I have a very antiquated idea of what a rock star is, but I will forever hate Nirvana for how they brought the whole "it could be you up on stage" thing to rock....just another version of "everybody gets a trophy"...I am sick and tired of seeing rock bands nowaday with this "awww shucks, Im just like you" shtick...F*ck that...this journalist calling this LP the "last album" is comedy, but a rephrasing of what is says is true..GnR were the last rock stars..in the sense of actual "rock stars". That indeed is extinct animal...Lemmy being an exception among few others. You want your rock bands to be something to aspire to, you want them to live a different, grander life than you lead...rock music is about escapism, going somewhere where you are not....I dont want to go to a show and see some overly humble dipshit...I wanna hear and see a red-eyed superhero...in addtition to top shelf rock music, the music is the most important thing obviously, but leave the "Im just like you" fake DIY, hippypunk bullshit at home. Please. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah, because we all know how inspiring Herman's Hermits were. :eyeroll:b, 21b, 21Klosterman wasn't calling "Chinese Democracy" the last album. He's saying that "Chinese Democracy" marks the transition of the electronic age.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21although I was a Nirvana fan musically...I hate them for what they did to the actual rock star. I know I have a very antiquated idea of what a rock star is, but I will forever hate Nirvana for how they brought the whole "it could be you up on stage" thing to rock....just another version of "everybody gets a trophy"...I am sick and tired of seeing rock bands nowaday with this "awww shucks, Im just like you" shtick...F*ck that...this journalist calling this LP the "last album" is comedy, but a rephrasing of what is says is true..GnR were the last rock stars..in the sense of actual "rock stars". That indeed is extinct animal...Lemmy being an exception among few others. You want your rock bands to be something to aspire to, you want them to live a different, grander life than you lead...rock music is about escapism, going somewhere where you are not....I dont want to go to a show and see some overly humble dipshit...I wanna hear and see a red-eyed superhero...in addtition to top shelf rock music, the music is the most important thing obviously, but leave the "Im just like you" fake DIY, hippypunk bullshit at home. Please. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah, because we all know how inspiring Herman's Hermits were. :eyeroll:b, 21b, 21Klosterman wasn't calling "Chinese Democracy" the last album. He's saying that "Chinese Democracy" marks the transition of the electronic age. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21WTF does Herman Hermits have to do with anything I said?

Quote:h, 21b, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah, because we all know how inspiring Herman's Hermits were. :eyeroll:b, 21b, 21Klosterman wasn't calling "Chinese Democracy" the last album. He's saying that "Chinese Democracy" marks the transition of the electronic age. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21WTF does Herman Hermits have to do with anything I said? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You claimed that rock bands before Nirvana were not like everybody else, that they were something to aspire to.

b, 21b, 21WTF does Herman Hermits have to do with anything I said? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You claimed that rock stars before Nirvana were not like everybody else, that they were something to aspire to. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21yeah ROCK stars, not pop stars...we are talking about the following:b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21and so on

• Quote:h, 21b, 21You want your rock bands to be something to aspire to, you want them to live a different, grander life than you lead...rock music is about escapism, going somewhere where you are not....I dont want to go to a show and see some overly humble dipshit...I wanna hear and see a red-eyed superhero...in addtition to top shelf rock music, the music is the most important thing obviously, but leave the "Im just like you" fake DIY, hippypunk bullshit at home.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Notice how all of those guys are long dead or were irrelevant 20 years ago?b, 21b, 21There are a handful of modern rock stars left.b, 21b, 21I don't think Nirvana had anything to do with the death of the rock star, though. Kurt Cobain was a rock star to my generation. His music was escapism for my generation.b, 21b, 21We're never going to get the characters whose pictures you posted above back -- I think the times killed the rock star. You could certainly plug in any number of rap stars as worthy successors to the "music star" role.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21I see it as the complete opposite...the epitomy of arrogance, stupidity, and a complete rejection of reality. To think that what you have to say is that important to spend 15 years and 11 million dollars borders on meglomania. On top of that, att the end of the day all you have is rock record, one that cant even stand next to a record you recorded 20 years ago for a fraction of the money and time...the denial that this dude has to the fact he is not even relevant anymore is ridiculous. Also the fact that he calls it a Guns N Roses record is insane..its the Axl Rose Experience LP. Yawn. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21This is exactly why the record appeals to me. Axl rose is a fucked up, delusional egomaniac; which is why he is not a boring F*ck like most of these other dudes dropping 'rock' music today.

Quote:h, 21b, 21I see it as the complete opposite...the epitomy of arrogance, stupidity, and a complete rejection of reality. To think that what you have to say is that important to spend 15 years and 11 million dollars borders on meglomania. On top of that, att the end of the day all you have is rock record, one that cant even stand next to a record you recorded 20 years ago for a fraction of the money and time...the denial that this dude has to the fact he is not even relevant anymore is ridiculous. Also the fact that he calls it a Guns N Roses record is insane..its the Axl Rose Experience LP. Yawn. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21This is exactly why the record appeals to me. Axl rose is a fucked up, delusional egomaniac; which is why he is not a boring F*ck like most of these other dudes dropping 'rock' music today. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I would argue he is both delusional/egomaniacal AND a boring F*ck at this stage of the game. I will give the record a listen eventually, but it is far from the top of my 'to-do' list.