Klosterman on Chinese Democracy

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Chuck Klosterman reviews the new G n R joint.b, 21b, 21 /font1
Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 For one thing, Chinese Democracy is (pretty much) the last Old Media album we'll ever contemplate in this context???it's the last album that will be marketed as a collection of autonomous-but-connected songs, the last album that will be absorbed as a static manifestation of who the band supposedly is, and the last album that will matter more as a physical object than as an Internet sound file. This is the end of that. b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Chuck Klosterman reviews the new G n R joint.b, 21b, 21 /font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 For one thing, Chinese Democracy is (pretty much) the last Old Media album we'll ever contemplate in this context???it's the last album that will be marketed as a collection of autonomous-but-connected songs, the last album that will be absorbed as a static manifestation of who the band supposedly is, and the last album that will matter more as a physical object than as an Internet sound file. This is the end of that. b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21As long as it's the last we ever hear of Axl Rose it's all good.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21As long as it's the last we ever hear of Axl Rose it's all good. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21CO-MOTHERFUb1[/b]CKING-SIGN!b, 21b, 21(I betcha dude gets his own VH1 show--Axl of Love--next year. "Will you stay in this house and continue to grease my axle?")

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21the last album that will matter more as a physical object than as an Internet sound fileb, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21chuck kolostomy bag is a douchemonger but that is a pretty cool insight.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21chuck kolostomy bagb, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21I was thinking Chuck Klusterfuck, but that one's pretty good too.b, 21b, 21I don't even know dude from Adam, but he has a fairly fuckwitable name. b, 21b, 21I thought it was pretty well written, although I honestly couldn't care less about what Axl Rose is doing with his time and money. I'll take dude's word for it, as b, 21b, 21b, 21cue graemlin: I haven't listened to it in its entirely and I don't plan to.b, 21b, 21b, 21or whatever it said. C7, a little help?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    As with the Kanye album, I'm not expecting to like it, but I still want to hear it. Nevertheless, if it turns out to be the Phantom Menace of rock records, inasmuch as many of the people who've sat on their hands in anticipation of it for the last fifteen years are massively disappointed, I won't be terribly surprised.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    "It's like if Jeff Lynne tried to make Out Of The Blue sound more like Fun House, except with jazz drumming and a girl singer from Motown."b, 21b, 21I would ike to hear that........

• I like this album. I dont expect that very many people will agree with me and I dont expect that I will listen to it alot or anything, but considering what an irredeemable clusterfuck this album should have turned out to be, it is a "success". That said, Klosterman is bugging about a couple of things: 1. Slash is sorely missed on this shit 2. at times the record sounds both dated and industrial, the former being more forgiveable than the latter.

• Whatever generational subgroup Chuck Klosterman is the voice of needs to get ahold of him and tell him to find another career.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Whatever generational subgroup Chuck Klosterman is the voice of needs to get ahold of him and tell him to find another career. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I think he is the patron saint of internet record-nerds who post on message boards.b, 21

• As annoying as Klosterman can be, I didn't have a problem with his writing here.b, 21b, 21That said, I've never listened to a G'n'R album and will most likely not start now.

• From the demos I've heard the album sounds nothing like GnR or "like if Jeff Lynne tried to make Out Of The Blue sound more like Fun House, except with jazz drumming and a girl singer from Motown." It sounds like some wannabe industrial-electro crap.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Axl should really just go visit Mr Brownstone, cop some uncut shit and O D for good.... Last time I saw some interview with him he looked like the next Ozzy...and not in a good way. b, 21b, 21Who really cares for a faded, jaded rocker and his bullshit 15 yrs to make album. Dude if it takes you 15 yrs to make an album that should tell you its a musical turd! Even all my headbanger mates are over this hype...

• Why do I always get Chuck Klosterman and this guy mixed up?b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21While in 5th grade, we had fake bank accounts with $1000 in the account. On a field trip to the art museum in Minneapolis, one of my friends bought a postcard of the above picture. I paid him $800 dollars for it from my account. I still have that postcard somewhere, and I've loved Chuck Close ever since.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i got to see him speak at parsons.he's a smart dude.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i got to see him speak at parsons.he's a smart dude. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21who Axl?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    no,chuck close.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21no,chuck close. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21What was he talking about?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21no,chuck close. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21What was he talking about? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21At an art and design school....maybe painting?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21no,chuck close. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21What was he talking about? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21At an art and design school....maybe painting? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Wow, that was brilliant! I had no interest whatsoever in which concepts he was talking about! Thanks for confirming what I was really after: He was talking about painting!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21That said, I've never listened to a G'n'R album and will most likely not start now. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21BAN!!!b, 21b, 21b, 21naw, but for real. Appetite is an amazing album, and I still believe it had more to do with the 'downfall' of hair metal than grunge ever did.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jonnygraem.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21no,chuck close. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21What was he talking about? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21how he beat Stephen Hawking in the 400 meter

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21On a field trip to the art museum in Minneapolis.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Had the same field trip--good times!b, 21I like Chuck Klosterman.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21no,chuck close. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21What was he talking about? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21how he beat Stephen Hawking in the 400 meter b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/badassbuddy_com-lowrider.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/walkawaysonfinal.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21On a field trip to the art museum in Minneapolis.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Had the same field trip--good times!b, 21I like Chuck Klosterman. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I messed up. It was this painting:b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21Was he there when you went?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I am waiting for someone to chime in saying they ride for G&R's Lies. "Patience, yeah yeah." b, 21b, 21Klosterman talking "it's the last album." F*ck that.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    b, 21b, 21No, Axl was just a bitchy little diva. The "beef" is actually explained in Novoselic's article:b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I eventually made it to the food service area, where Kurt and Courtney were at a table with their newborn daughter, Frances. They told me that Axl Rose had walked by and Courtney started teasing him. She yelled, ???Axl, Axl???you???re the godfather!??? Upon hearing this, Axl apparently got very annoyed, walked over to Kurt, and demanded that he keep his woman in line. Kurt turned to Courtney and sarcastically asked his woman to keep in line and left it at that. Axl then split.b, 21b, 21...b, 21b, 21I was walking toward the stage and came across my now-friend and colleague, Duff McKagan. I think Duff was also under the influence. He must have heard something from Rose and had a terse word for me. I was already a little bent out of shape and instantly replied with the same sentiment.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21The whole "Axl" call at the performance was just them f*cking with him.

I think there was an on going feud and competition between Kurt Cobain and Axl Rose on seeing which could be the most depressive, over sensative and jaded cunt. b, 21b, 21It was neck to neck until Kurt went that extra mile and took the title. Now all Axl can do is sit at home and tease his last 3 remaining fans with an album no one really wants to hear....b, 21b, 21Dude did miss his chance though, a couple of years ago when 'cock rock' made a brief comeback he could have capitalised on that and dropped the album....b, 21b, 21On a side note. I heard recently that Slash (who seems like the only GNR member with some class) did co production with Lenny Kravitz on THAT Madonna album years ago, and apparently has produced several 'pop' songs but on the DL.....

• reminds me of that Janes Addiction cover article from a few years back (was it Spin?) where they recount sharing studio space with the GnR guys and all the ice grills exchanged in the hallway...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I read an interview w/Axl back in them days where he was talking about Nirvana refusing to tour w/GNR and how he understood where they were coming from but, more or less, they needed to "grow up" and hang with the big boys. It was a perfect illustration of how clueless and out of touch dude was and is.b, 21b, 21I saw some excerpts from a recent Slash autobiog in a magazine and it was pretty funny stuff... maybe someday I'll check it out.