Gene Chandler "Hard Times" info?

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Just heard a version that's supposedly him doing a version of the Curtis Mayfield song "Hard Times" - it's an MP3 so I really have no idea where it's from. The tag says "Chicago Sound" but that's in. Internet is giving me nothing...

Comments

• Love it, I only know it as a 45 on Checker. It has a different title too but I can't remember now, that's probably why nothing is coming up.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Johnny played it for me and Lambert when we were down in NYC the other weekend. It fui1[/i]cking kills. The proper title is "In My Body's House".

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah it kills no doubt.

• aren't there some other people who have versions of that song as "in my body's house"? i dunno, maybe i'm just thinking of the chandler one... thought there were some others though img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/liljohn.gif" alt="" 21

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Johnny played it for me and Lambert when we were down in NYC the other weekend. It fucking kills. The proper title is "In My Body's House". b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Just got your pm and will be dl-ing tonight. Thanks!b, 21Hey, do you remember what that other 45 that killed it was? Female vocals, maybe the flip to a tune called back from vietnam, or something?

The one about dropping the bomb?

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Ha ha ha!b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif" alt="" 21

img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21 Nah, I don't remember it. I may have been smoking at the time.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the b side of that 45 is really I'll too. Sweet soul

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think this may be the only pre-Mercury Gene Chandler 45b, 21I don't own. Actually, he has one on Constellation that isb, 21a big Northern track so you never see it around. But I've been lookingb, 21for "In My Body's House" for years. One big disappointment was yearsb, 21ago when I bought the "Duke of Soul" LP on Checker from eBay thinkingb, 21it would be a collection of all his Checker 45's and maybe some non-45b, 21tracks ... instead it was just a reissue of his earlier Vee Jay material.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I just really gotta say that I love this song.

• The Gene Chandler version is actually faster (BPM) than the Baby Huey. b, 21b, 21Kills dancefloors.b, 21b, 21Don't sleep on his version of "There Was A Time" too. I flipped out the first time I heard that at some Northern Soul Scooter party.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21Don't sleep on his version of "There Was A Time" too. I flipped out the first time I heard that at some Northern Soul Scooter party. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It's also a great excuse to yell out "Chicago, Illinois!" 2/3rds of the way through. For folks in the Land of Luna only.