The Ink Spots

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
hey,b, 21so i just found out about this group after hearing a 'roots of doo wop' compilation and was captivated by a track of theirs called "when the swallows come back to capistrano" (after some research i found that they covered it...after some further research on youtube i discovered they were Black, i didn't anticipate that).b, 21b, 21so my question is what is that music referred to as i'd like to hear more of it, in terms of genre? i don't think of it as doo wop (but im no doo wop expert and i always thought of doo wop as girl groups like crystals, shirelles etc) so maybe it is? im really ignorant about old stuff like this and can only say the piano sounds like that vaudvillain stuff if that makes sense.b, 21b, 21i love listening to the ink spots, makes me feel like im in a time machine and would be wearing a grown man's hat.b, 21b, 21/object1

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    They were a pop vocal group of the 40s.b, 21b, 21The best group was the Mills Brothers, IMO. Very similar in style. b, 21b, 21Other groups would be the Modernairs, Andrew Sisters and for the Jewish touch the Barry Sisters. b, 21b, 21Another group more like the Ink Spots and Mills Brothers would be The Golden Gate Gospel Quartet.b, 21b, 21Check those Readers Digest box sets for IS, MB and AS. b, 21b, 21The early doo wop groups were street corner singing teens who were influenced by these pop groups and gospel groups.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I met Huey long of the Ink Spots a coupla years back. IF you're in Houston, you can find him almost every weekend on 19th st in the heights pushing his and Ink Spots tapes/Cd's in front of the Black art sgallery (forgot the name).

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    thanks for the suggestions laser, i'l look into those suggestionsb, 21b, 21cashless, im far off in canada but it is cool/amazing dude is still pushing his stuff. how old is he?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21thanks for the suggestions laser, i'l look into those suggestionsb, 21b, 21cashless, im far off in canada but it is cool/amazing dude is still pushing his stuff. how old is he? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21As far as I know, all of the ORIGINAL members of the Ink Spots have passed on, and there are several versions of the group who have turned up since then...

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21so my question is what is that music referred to as i'd like to hear more of it, in terms of genre? i don't think of it as doo wop (but im no doo wop expert and i always thought of doo wop as girl groups like crystals, shirelles etc)b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21The girl group sound isn't really considered doo wop either. Doo wop is groups like the Five Satins, Penguins, Spaniels, El Dorados, Chantels, etc. A lot of the earlier groups in the style definitely owed a debt to the likes of the Ink Spots and the Mills Brothers. Some acts, like the Ravens and Sonny Til & the Orioles, kinda bridged the gap between the two.b, 21b, 21As far as the Spots are concerned, they had several hits, but the best-remembered was 1939's "If I Didn't Care" (which the Moments later covered in 1970). This was later a running joke on the TV show i1Sanford & Son[/i] - Redd Foxx's character used to bust out with an imitation of Spots' lead singer Bill Kenny singing that song. "Ahnd would I be suuuuureee, if this is love beyond compaaaaare..." As an older jazz fan once assured me, that group was the surest way to get laid back in the day...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    thanks pickwick, those names u mentioned seemed familiar and i only realized that because they were also in the compilation

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21hey,b, 21so i just found out about this group after hearing a 'roots of doo wop' compilation and was captivated by a track of theirs called "when the swallows come back to capistrano" (after some research i found that they covered it...after some further research on youtube i discovered they were Black, i didn't anticipate that).b, 21b, 21so my question is what is that music referred to as i'd like to hear more of it, in terms of genre? i don't think of it as doo wop (but im no doo wop expert and i always thought of doo wop as girl groups like crystals, shirelles etc) so maybe it is? im really ignorant about old stuff like this and can only say the piano sounds like that vaudvillain stuff if that makes sense.b, 21b, 21i love listening to the ink spots, makes me feel like im in a time machine and would be wearing a grown man's hat.b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I once worked with the lead singers son. Dude, was a little fruity gay dude, who was weird/creepy and lived with his mom (he was in his 40's ). One day out of now where he pulled out a cover of a Ink Spots tape and let me know that his father was the lead singer. Totally random. Dude was actually a nice and smart guy, but weird. Every time I hear of the Ink Spots I think of that dude. It's funny watching that video, because dude resembled his dad. b, 21b, 21Anyhoo, I know it's random, but just thought I'd share.