talk to me about your BRACES

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
i'm rockin' the INVISIBLE grillz right now...b, 21b, 21 b, 21 b, 21b, 21tell me stories about your braces... i'm interested

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i had old school metal ones back when i was in 6th gradeb, 21nagl x100b, 21i had a retainer when i got them out. i remember i went to burger king and took my retainer out while i ate and accidentally threw it out in the trash. it took me like half a year to pay my parents back that shit!!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21i had a retainer when i got them out. i remember i went to burger king and took my retainer out while i ate and accidentally threw it out in the trash. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21wasn't that from a steve martin movie?

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i had old school metal ones back when i was in 6th gradeb, 21nagl x100b, 21i had a retainer when i got them out.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21Same thing for me, although I had a brief stint with headgear (only at night though and it wasn't for very long), that was NAGL x100000. My teeth are still fucked though, crowding, slightly crooked bite, receding gums (from the braces and teeth clenching) all kinds of nice shit. Yay advances in orthodontics!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21i had a retainer when i got them out. i remember i went to burger king and took my retainer out while i ate and accidentally threw it out in the trash. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21wasn't that from a steve martin movie? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21No, that was my life from 1st through 5th grade- I had to dumpster dive in my private school cafeteria on many occasions to avoid the wrath of my dad.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I had the metal ones for a couple of years through middle school or early high school. I had a plastic retainer to wear at night which I gave up on after a few months & still have the metal permanent retainer bar behind my front teeth at the bottom of my mouth. My upper deck of teeth have shifted a bit because I didn't persist with the retainer but my lower ones are pretty sweet still. My parents were less than happy when pretty much as soon as I got my braces off I smashed out one of my newly straightened front teeth when I came off my skateboard face first.

• still have them

• Metal ones from 8th through 12th grade. Must be close to the record. No wonder I didn't get laid until my senior year.

• Phil...talk to me about YOURS. I've been thinking of gettin' some myself.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Two of my good friends (both 30+) just went through braces...the big hunky metal ones (because apparently the uglier and bulkier, the faster they work)...it was a rough year for both of them but after that year was up...man, they were very happy. Best thing they did. Worth the year.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    There was a lady at my work who must have been in her 50s rocking them a couple of years back, I had to look twice because I hadn't seen them on an adult before that.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Phil...talk to me about YOURS. I've been thinking of gettin' some myself. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21well, Herm, i've always had gapped teeth, never was a big deal until i started noticing them shifting further apart in the last couple of years. i felt too old for the metal mouth look, but somebody I know told me about invisalign, which sounded like a better option. went ahead and got em about a month and a half ago. definitely took some getting used to- 1) you're supposed to keep them in your mouth 24-7 EXCEPT for whenever you eat or drink anything other than water, 2) everytime you take them out to eat something you have to brush your teeth and floss before putting the invisalign trays back in, 3) you get a new set of trays every 2 weeks and the new trays hurt like HELL for the first day or two everytime you put them in or take them out. I've got it all down to a science now, though- get advil-ed the f**k up on the day I put in the new trays and basically fast for as long as I can on that day as to limit the amount of times i gotta mess with those invisaligns. After that day or two of your teeth getting adjusted, it's real easy taking them out and putting them back in for the rest of each two week period.b, 21b, 21the best thing is that it's gonna take less than a year (46 weeks) for my shits to be straightened out if all goes according to plan. i'm sure the length of time depends on how crooked or spaced your situation is (i guess mine really wasn't all that bad), but i think it always takes less time than metal braces do. don't quote me on that, i may be wrong but that's what i think. so far i recommend the invisalign system but check with me again next September. I think it's gonna work well, though... i can see slight results already.b, 21b, 21 for now

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Phil...talk to me about YOURS. I've been thinking of gettin' some myself. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21well, Herm, i've always had gapped teeth, never was a big deal until i started noticing them shifting further apart in the last couple of years. i felt too old for the metal mouth look, but somebody I know told me about invisalign, which sounded like a better option. went ahead and got em about a month and a half ago. definitely took some getting used to- 1) you're supposed to keep them in your mouth 24-7 EXCEPT for whenever you eat or drink anything other than water, 2) everytime you take them out to eat something you have to brush your teeth and floss before putting the invisalign trays back in, 3) you get a new set of trays every 2 weeks and the new trays hurt like HELL for the first day or two everytime you put them in or take them out. I've got it all down to a science now, though- get advil-ed the f**k up on the day I put in the new trays and basically fast for as long as I can on that day as to limit the amount of times i gotta mess with those invisaligns. After that day or two of your teeth getting adjusted, it's real easy taking them out and putting them back in for the rest of each two week period.b, 21b, 21the best thing is that it's gonna take less than a year (46 weeks) for my shits to be straightened out if all goes according to plan. i'm sure the length of time depends on how crooked or spaced your situation is (i guess mine really wasn't all that bad), but i think it always takes less time than metal braces do. don't quote me on that, i may be wrong but that's what i think. so far i recommend the invisalign system but check with me again next September. I think it's gonna work well, though... i can see slight results already.b, 21b, 21 for now b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21How much them thangs cost? Someone at work said that my health insurance would cover it (dental insurance doesn't though).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    3 years in high school

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i'm rockin' the INVISIBLE grillz right now...b, 21b, 21 b, 21 b, 21b, 21tell me stories about your braces... i'm interested b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Do you get air bubbles stuck in those? I know someone who has those and I'm always staring at her teeth when she talks- they look like carbonated water!!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i'm rockin' the INVISIBLE grillz right now...b, 21b, 21 b, 21 b, 21b, 21tell me stories about your braces... i'm interested b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Do you get air bubbles stuck in those? I know someone who has those and I'm always staring at her teeth when she talks- they look like carbonated water!! b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21the ones in the above pic look ill-fitting... mine fit perfectly over my teeth and not one person has noticed that I have them on. even when i show them to somebody they have to get up close and really look hard to see them. so no, no air bubbles. after you rinse them and put them back in your mouth there's maybe a little water inside but it's no big deal.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I had the metal ones for a couple of years through middle school or early high school. I had a plastic retainer to wear at night which I gave up on after a few months & still have the metal permanent retainer bar behind my front teeth at the bottom of my mouth. My upper deck of teeth have shifted a bit because I didn't persist with the retainer but my lower ones are pretty sweet still. My parents were less than happy when pretty much as soon as I got my braces off I smashed out one of my newly straightened front teeth when I came off my skateboard face first. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21When I was a kid, I wanted a retainer so, SO BAD. I would twist paperclips into a 'retainer' shape and shove them into my mouth, even tho they would poke the hell out of the side of my mouth. I wanted a headgear even more because I thought they were amazing- go to school looking like a robot or Startrek everyday!b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21My friend once left her bionator over at my houseb, 21 b, 21and I was so excited that I didn't tell her until the next day so I could try fitting it in my mouth (yes, that's gross). b, 21b, 21Finally my day came after 18 months of clear braces (!@O#$&). I got my glow in the dark retainer after having 30 color choices and went for that...and lost it food-tray-garbage style not long after. b, 21b, 21Since it cost so much to get another one, and I spent most of my life wanting one, I still wear mine 16 years later!! Sometimes I really have to shove it in there cuz it barely fits after chewing gum for 5 mins...and I have the bottom glued in bar that is gnarly to floss and every now and then I wake up with the bottom of my tongue stuck in there...b, 21b, 21

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21How much them thangs cost? Someone at work said that my health insurance would cover it (dental insurance doesn't though). b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21around 5 G's... i have a good dental plan and they're paying a little less than half of that, about 40%.

• I had real messed up teeth...almost steve buscemi style...or maybe more patricia arquette(??)haha..b, 21b, 21Had regular metal ones from end of year7 to mid year9 (just b4 my 14th birsday-woooo.......was meant to have them for 4years, so was very happy).b, 21I just remember it killed after havin a tightening and having a month of sleeping with a headgear!! I had to get my gums sliced up afterwards too, so they wouldn't move back....too much. I think if you have gaps they actually remove some of you gum to prevent this happening!! Very worth while, my cousins moved drastically after she had hers removed!b, 21b, 21Oh yeah- I also remember that you could get different coloured bands put on them, and in primary school one kid decided to get green and it looked like he had boogers stuck in them....definately nagl!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21How much them thangs cost? Someone at work said that my health insurance would cover it (dental insurance doesn't though). b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21around 5 G's... i have a good dental plan and they're paying a little less than half of that, about 40%. b, 21b, 21h, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/baller3ae.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I had the metal ones for a couple of years through middle school or early high school. I had a plastic retainer to wear at night which I gave up on after a few months & still have the metal permanent retainer bar behind my front teeth at the bottom of my mouth. My upper deck of teeth have shifted a bit because I didn't persist with the retainer but my lower ones are pretty sweet still. My parents were less than happy when pretty much as soon as I got my braces off I smashed out one of my newly straightened front teeth when I came off my skateboard face first. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21When I was a kid, I wanted a retainer so, SO BAD. I would twist paperclips into a 'retainer' shape and shove them into my mouth, even tho they would poke the hell out of the side of my mouth. I wanted a headgear even more because I thought they were amazing- go to school looking like a robot or Startrek everyday!b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21My friend once left her bionator over at my houseb, 21 b, 21and I was so excited that I didn't tell her until the next day so I could try fitting it in my mouth (yes, that's gross). b, 21b, 21Finally my day came after 18 months of clear braces (!@O#$&). I got my glow in the dark retainer after having 30 color choices and went for that...and lost it food-tray-garbage style not long after. b, 21b, 21Since it cost so much to get another one, and I spent most of my life wanting one, I still wear mine 16 years later!! Sometimes I really have to shove it in there cuz it barely fits after chewing gum for 5 mins...and I have the bottom glued in bar that is gnarly to floss and every now and then I wake up with the bottom of my tongue stuck in there...b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoa.gif" alt="" 21

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I was wearing one of those torture devices they called a headgear back when I was as young as 8 years old.b, 21b, 21Also, I still have slight scars on my knuckles from repeadedly punching this dude with braces in the mouth back in 6th grade. b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bbb.gif" alt="" 21

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    so far i recommend the invisalign system but check with me again next September.

Update please.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    so far i recommend the invisalign system but check with me again next September.

i'm four months in and have gone from getting used to the routine to getting SICK of the routine. having to pop these bitches out everytime you drink anything other than water is bad enough, but having to brush after EVERY time you eat ANYTHING is just getting ridiculous. i am probably adhering to the rules too strictly... i'm sure a lot of people with invisaligns just pop em back in after eating without brushing sometimes, i dunno. sometimes you're just in your car and you want to munch on a muffin for a couple minutes without it being this whole f**kin' procedure, ya know? well, i'm in it now... another 7 months of this schitt to go

i live a fairly dull family man existence these days, but if you are a party animal just remember you can't be at the bar getting your taste on without pulling the invisaligns out in between drinks (and you do NOT want to do that in public... i advise going to the bathroom to handle that lest you disgust the females by dripping your invisalign drool all over them).

another thing- i have never had chapped lips in my life, but with these invisaligns my schitts be STAYIN' chapped the f**k up! they seem to cause extra saliva to build up in your mouth, which dries your lips out. arrrrrrgh

i will say that they ARE doing the job, though... my teeth are already noticeably improved, especially that little twisted bastard on the bottom. the pain i was having when I first started is pretty much over with, too.

• the snoopy with braces and the garfield with braces posters in the dentist office made me want braces. I really wanted them. I thought they were cool. I obviously didn't understand what it really meant to have them.

I've never had them. My teeth came out fine. I even have all of my wisdom teeth.

I remember when this girl Meghan, who was cute and popular, came back to 5th grade with the head gear on. That was an event. I feel like it was something that the class actually stopped and acknowledge as a whole.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Metal ones from 8th through 12th grade. Must be close to the record. No wonder I didn't get laid until my senior year.

awww, that sucks.
    I actually had to have em twice. That really pissed me off.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I had braces for a minute and the metal ones... the good thing about the metal ones is you cant take them out because if you could you would and that defeats the purpose... when I got mine off and had to do the retainer thing... I was like ha! Out with these things... I still hae that thing around here somewhere... who cares how old you are, if you need braces you need 'em...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    the good thing about the metal ones is you cant take them out

I remember two friends who hated their braces so much that they removed each others with pliers. The only part they couldn't get off was the band around the molars. Their parents made them pay for the second set (in both cases).

Can you imagine that scene?

• the good thing about the metal ones is you cant take them out

I remember two friends who hated their braces so much that they removed each others with pliers. The only part they couldn't get off was the band around the molars. Their parents made them pay for the second set (in both cases).

Can you imagine that scene?

Yeah, I actually had friends that had braces on for 5+ years, but stopped getting them adjusted within the first year- they couldn't afford to keep up w/the payments, nor could they afford to get them taken off at the ortho...

so pliers it was!!

5+ years = NOOOOOOOOOOOOO how could you NOT have stains by that point?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I got them around 11th grade? And didnt get them off until my 3rd year of college.

NOT GOOD.

Notably, I started going out with my first girlfriend AFTER the braces came off. Coincidence? Oh, I think not.