CHANNELING RECORDS (RR)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Don't you just love it when you think to yourself "oh wouldn't it be cool if I found _________" and whammo, there it is?b, 21b, 21I was thinking to myself..."hmm it would be nice if there was an Al Johnson - Peaceful in this soul/jazz collection"b, 21b, 21and i hit the "J" section and there it was!b, 21b, 21b, 21Lay your best story on us. I know I've read more than a few on here....

Comments

• i got s.o.u.l can you feel it like that. was driving around for a summre job i had, getting road rage. ended up near this record outpost in northeast philly that i rarely go to. thought to myself they better have some heat. thought to myself that i really wanted an s.o.u.l. record. copped for twenty. i asked if he could pay ten. he said no. i paid and left.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have had this happen to me a couple of times this year, once with the Barbara Acklin "Am I The Same Girl" 45 & one other that I am blanking on. Very weird feeling, but very cool. In both cases I had been talking/thinking about how much I need the record & the next day (as with the Acklin) it appears. Spooky.

• This doesn't happen to me very often when I'm digging in conventional places for records. A lot of you already know this story but I once found a sealed Twilight LP (rare modern soul) on a sidewalk in Oakland with no other records or any other belongings near it, after talking about that record earlier in the morning with a friend.

• At Academy Rec's in Brooklyn this weekend, the only record they had in the Roy Ayers section (only one Roy LP in the store, in Brooklyn???) was one of the couple I was looking for... the Roy and Fela LP, on celluloid. Little warped and not so rare, but I was super stoked. Then they had his Virgo Vibes in the New Arrivals... which was the other one I needed.

• i tried this tonight at a record store and it didn't work.b, 21b, 21i'm drinking coffee now to ease what i thought was somethin going for me tonight.

• LEGALLY cleaning out a major radio station, prior to going i said to myself " im going to get denise lasalle / im so hot 12". got it, with countless other gems.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i tried this tonight at a record store and it didn't work.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It sneaks up on you when you least expect it. It won't happen to any of us again until we temporarily forget about the whole phenomenon. So in bringing it up again we have all just been robbed of this opportunity for at least another few weeks.

• i was at the edison record show, years ago and a LES record store operative asked me wat i was looking for that day. i said joe pass, guitar interludes. he pointed me to a dealer saying "hes got a lot of cheap interesting jazz records, check in there". sure nuff. 5 dollar

• One Saturday night, I was listening to a dusties show on the radio when they played "Open The Door To Your Heart" by Darrell Banks, making me wonder what his Atco LP sounded like...very next day, at a church rummage sale, there it was...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    About a month or 2 ago, I was one a bit of a nostalgia trip. One of the groups that had gotten me into local music back when I was a young punk in Minnesota back in the 80s was a band called The Suburbs. Great live act, more new wave, but with enough an edge that they always delivered a great show the number of times I saw them before their inevitable break-up (having paved the way early for bands like The Replacements and Husker Du and many others). Being on the East Coast now, I don't see many of thier records like you did at one time in Minneapolis(even those are now scooped up by old heads) but I had managed to find one of 2 of their LPs that I used to listen to all the time in high school. The 2nd one, their first major label record, was one I was really jonesing to hear again, and it seemed kinda weak to buy a 'greatest hits' package on Amazon, but that was the next step. The same day that I had asked a former music writer friend back home if he had an extra (no luck but he did send me a later live CD which was a nice gesture), I stopped by a thrift I go to all the time and rarely ever find records. This time I noticed a box that had incredibly clean lines in it, indicating a box of 80s rock that never got played. As I started flipping through endless Billy Idol, Bruce Springsteen and Duran Duran records, the second to the last LP in the box was this:b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21While it is by no stretch the rarest Lp I have come across, it is easily the most serendipitous find so far. Especially since it was one I have not seen since I lent the LP to a friend probably 17-18 years ago. Just plain eerie really.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Every time I go to the record store, I try to channel records but usually it doesn't work. I may be lacking swagger...

• @ laney college flea market -- i found david ruffin - 'my whole world has ended', while listening to the album on my ipod.