How to fix a blown car speaker?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I blew out one of the woofers in my car; annoying as f-- buzz on anything with a low end. b, 21b, 21I've never dealt with this before - is it something easily fixable on my own? Or will I need to pony up for a new speaker?

Comments

• I found a kicker comp 12" that is perfect cept some ripped foam the other day. Whats wrong with it? b, 21b, 21I think I need to get mine Reconed... anyone know what that costs?

• Reconing 40-50 bucks, there is a Sikh dude who does a great job out in the outer valley.b, 21b, 21If you can access the speaker (possibly from the trunk?) you can disconnect the two wires from it, unmount it from the harness and replace it easy. Shouldn't be an issue, 20-40 bucks for new off brand replacement, you're good to go.b, 21b, 21What record blew the speaker?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Reconing 40-50 bucks, there is a Sikh dude who does a great job out in the outer valley.b, 21b, 21If you can access the speaker (possibly from the trunk?) you can disconnect the two wires from it, unmount it from the harness and replace it easy. Shouldn't be an issue, 20-40 bucks for new off brand replacement, you're good to go.b, 21b, 21What record blew the speaker? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You know - it could have been yours! I didn't notice it the moment it happened but I had a few things in rotation at the time (this was a month or so back) and the new PUTS was in the changer then. b, 21b, 21The speaker is actually in the front, passenger door. I don't imagine it'd be that hard to access.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Gotta stop blasting that KIDZ BOP, Oliver.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Gotta stop blasting that KIDZ BOP, Oliver. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21(but it sounds so good bumpin' in the Prius)b, 21b, 21

• Pop the grill off of it and there should be a few screws holding it into the frame.. If you unscrew it and pull it forward there should be just enough slack to get to the speaker wire attached to the back. b, 21b, 21Rewire new speaker and viola!b, 21b, 21The alpine village swap is a good place to get cheap off brand speakers, as is the Roadium.

• your situation is a lot better than mine right now. last week while driving to work around 6am i ran over a freshly hit deer. 80mph, the freeway, totally dark out, "OHH SCHITT!" it loosened what i thought was a heatshield, but yesterday while driving on a brick road with mad bumps all of a sudden there goes my exhaust. now my schitt is loud as hell to where i can't even enjoy my music!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21your situation is a lot better than mine right now. last week while driving to work around 6am i ran over a freshly hit deer. 80mph, the freeway, totally dark out, "OHH SCHITT!" it loosened what i thought was a heatshield, but yesterday while driving on a brick road with mad bumps all of a sudden there goes my exhaust. now my schitt is loud as hell to where i can't even enjoy my music! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 212 steps to fix this problem:b, 211) buy a louder car systemb, 212) put a cherry bomb glasspack on the end of that pipe, secure it to the frame with a coat hanger and rock that shit. i give a fusk if it is a hyundai.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Reconing 40-50 bucks, there is a Sikh dude who does a great job out in the outer valley. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21How can I get in touch with this guy?