Taking Over (Danny Hoch- and gentrification-r)

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I saw this show when it debuted out here in Berkeley. It is now opening in NY.b, 21b, 21I've thought a lot of Hoch's material was corny over the years, and this particular peice is the dictionary definition of waaaambulance, but DAMN dude is talented. the range of characters and languages he goes through in this show is pretty sick. I reccommend this show.b, 21b, 21 this article raises some interesting points about how the piece will be received by NY-ers vs. other venues.b, 21b, 21(carpetbagguery, race, NY....this thread has the makings of a real classique. do your job people...)b, 21b, 21

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Danny Hoch is the stage equivalent of the White Rapper Show

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I saw this showb, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21God, why?b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/463.gif" alt="" 21

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    This thread prompted me to see what our old friend and Danny Hoch lookalike obscureaddict wuz up to lately.b, 21Bear witness: http://www.youtube.com/user/obscureaddict

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21This thread prompted me to see what our old friend and Danny Hoch lookalike obscureaddict wuz up to lately.b, 21Bear witness: http://www.youtube.com/user/obscureaddict b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21dude is that a f*cking video of him going through some baseball cards? How did you even find this? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/842.gif" alt="" 21

• Brownsville slugger

• kemskems 120 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I saw this show when it debuted out here in Berkeley. It is now opening in NY.b, 21b, 21I've thought a lot of Hoch's material was corny over the years, and this particular peice is the dictionary definition of waaaambulance, but DAMN dude is talented. the range of characters and languages he goes through in this show is pretty sick. I reccommend this show.b, 21b, 21 this article raises some interesting points about how the piece will be received by NY-ers vs. other venues.b, 21b, 21(carpetbagguery, race, NY....this thread has the makings of a real classique. do your job people...)b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I agree man. I saw him do Jails, Hospitals and Hip-Hop down in Florida many years ago. I honestly have the same feeling about the material, but I can't deny that dude is good at what he does. He's definitely a very talented cat.

• 500+ views.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21How did you even find this? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Much like "eggplant xanadu", "obscureaddict" is a very easy Google search.b, 21He went from raer rap/funk to baseball cardz.b, 21He's like the Prime Minster Pete Nice of SoulStrut.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    He rents out him home for $1,700 a week?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21He rents out him home for $1,700 a week? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21ha seriously! I thought maybe I was disconnected and thought "Damn, I guess he is a big deal". Can someone clarify this? Is this to tourist folks?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21He rents out him home for $1,700 a week? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21ha seriously! I thought maybe I was disconnected and thought "Damn, I guess he is a big deal". Can someone clarify this? Is this to tourist folks? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21it has nonthing to do with the size of his deal (no homo) and everything to do with the location of his crib. and yeah, it would appear that these are tourists looking for that local urban Wburg experience while dude is on tour.b, 21b, 21now can we please have some NY native vs. NY transplant beef in this thread for lawd's sakes? or is this hitting too close to home for the non-native NY strutteurs....?

• saw this show last month when he was doing it for free for the burroughs. hate all you want, but this shit was on point and hilarious. i didn't see his previous shows, but this one was very edutaining.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I'll chime in from the non-native carpetbagging camp. There are a million articles about gentrification, most of them are identical: poor immigrants -> artists -> yuppies -> Ikea. I'm sure Hoch's approach gets way deeper into it and I totally agree with what he says about things becoming commoditized and instantly accessible and the neighborhood no longer being what it's supposed to be about, just posing. But watching people on stage bores me silly.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 But watching people on stage bores me silly. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I feel you. If you can't stand theater, obviously you can miss this. But if you have any love for live theatrical performance, I reccommend this joint, waaambulence and more-than-occasional corniness aside.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Saw Jails, Hospitals etc. Dude is a very talented mimic and all but his material is super corny, superficial. Hoch got mad because the crowd wasn't feeling his analysis and told everybody to bring youngsters the next night. Shaking his fist and rolling his eyes like my 2 year old. Lame. Unless you're Johnny Rotten never insult your audience. b, 21b, 21Note to Danny Hoch: you are not Ntozake Shange or Eric Begosian or even early Whoopi. I bet he writes a monologue about how Obama is wack the first time our new president orders an air strike in Pakistan.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21the first time our new president orders an air strike in Pakistan. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21the strut thread that this event generates will be a classique.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21He rents out him home for $1,700 a week? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21ha seriously! I thought maybe I was disconnected and thought "Damn, I guess he is a big deal". Can someone clarify this? Is this to tourist folks? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21it has nonthing to do with the size of his deal (no homo) and everything to do with the location of his crib. and yeah, it would appear that these are tourists looking for that local urban Wburg experience while dude is on tour.b, 21b, 21now can we please have some NY native vs. NY transplant beef in this thread for lawd's sakes? or is this hitting too close to home for the non-native NY strutteurs....? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21people rent out beach homes in average resort spots for more than that per week....if you figure hotel costs, not that big a deal to some folks, especially people doing business/vacationing in the big city.