~OWEN MARSHALL Private Funk Inquiry!~

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Can somebody drop a knowledge jewel on the musical contents of this guy?b, 21b, 21http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160298238978b, 21b, 21

  Comments


  • Hah - I was just thinking you were going to post on this. b, 21b, 21Somebody posted audio a while ago. There's some good stories behind this too (Thes-one and cut chemist related). Local CA oddball spaced jazz.

  • NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Hah - I was just thinking you were going to post on this. b, 21b, 21Somebody posted audio a while ago. There's some good stories behind this too (Thes-one and cut chemist related). Local CA oddball spaced jazz. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Is this an end to end burner?b, 21b, 21b, 21Can the consengenti of strutters who still caer about the raer speaketh on this?b, 21b, 21Who owns this?

  • It's a really cool record,and was until recently known only in small circles.b, 21I own it,and think there are two killer tracks.Not a end to end burner.b, 21Rare as shit......

  • Oh yeah,Homie is studio jammin' butt ass naked on the back sleeve photo.b, 21Thes has a good story about this.I'l let him tell it.

  • From the East Coast originally, was in the same band as a young Jimmy Garrison and wrote compositions for Lee Morgan. Moved to LA later and was a sideman on at least one Black Jazz LP. As well as the 'Captain Puff' LP there exists an incredible 45 on Viscojon which is similar to the music contained on the LP, perhaps even better (and rarer?) IMO. Marshall died in the 90s. Was also the grandfather of NBA's Richard Jefferson (Milwaukee Bucks).


  • I lived at 2228 Cambridge Street, Los Angeles Mid-City 90006 Califunkyfornia for about 8 or nine years. Owen Marshal was living four doors down when he made this record (check the Aditi address ont he back of the record, and on the back you can see him sitting butt naked at a fender rhodes playing the flute). The original record came sealed with a calender for 1976 with him posing nude for your viewing pleasure. He is sitting in the upstairs room in front of the window which faces out on Cambridge. I had a few of these copies and traded and sold them for about 100$. Shows what i know. b, 21b, 21I tried to break into the back house garage when i was living there and totally freaked out the korean people that were living there. I was just sure he left some vinyl behind. Never got any but if you check out Cut Chemists album you can hear him and i doing a field recording at that location. b, 21b, 21An interesting side-note is that Jimmy Jewel lived around the corner at the same time this was being made. He was working on the dynamic soul society record at about the same time. Two records made within a block radius of each other in two years, and then 15 years later I record four albums at an address smack in between them. There is also a Frank Lloyd Wright house on that block too. b, 21b, 21Down the street from Cambridge street was the Bem-Sole headquarters, and around the corner off Washington was where the Marvin Gaye family house was and where he passed away. b, 21b, 21Big music neighborhood.

  • Oh yeah, there is one mellow rhodes track on this and a dope home recording funk track with an extended drum break. that's about it.

  • PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    5 star thread.b, 21

  • /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21From the East Coast originally, was in the same band as a young Jimmy Garrison and wrote compositions for Lee Morgan. Moved to LA later and was a sideman on at least one Black Jazz LP. As well as the 'Captain Puff' LP there exists an incredible 45 on Viscojon which is similar to the music contained on the LP, perhaps even better (and rarer?) IMO. Marshall died in the 90s. Was also the grandfather of NBA's Richard Jefferson (Milwaukee Bucks). b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Wow - now that's img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/know.gif" alt="" 21

  • Thes - that story you told me (this is Andrew in LB) about finding the Owen LP and then cut recording ambient noise cracked me up. b, 21b, 21This isn't an end to end burner... it's a weird little record that I'm surprised has garnered this much interest. A G for this is crazy. I'd like a copy but this is nutso. b, 21b, 21Good call by Rodney on getting that $$$!

  • parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Can we get a pic of the back cover?b, 21b, 21PASUE

  • mannybolonemannybolone 15,030 Posts
    This whole thread is the embodiment of "knowledge dropped." b, 21b, 21Kudos! (And congrats to Rodney for netting some nice $ on that last round of auctions. I wanted that "Please" LP bad but I just couldn't bring myself to go higher than what I did).

  • /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Can we get a pic of the back cover?b, 21b, 21PASUE b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I'm really interested in the promotional calendar. It sounds too good to be true.

  • m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Hawaiian dude RogB posted the whole album in this thread two years ago and also included a track from it in his ISH. b, 21I've listened to it quite a bit. Cool album. I think it's a solid end-to-end listen (even the new agey parts), but I think I'll pass on the $1000 price tag.b, 21b, 21Here is a re-up of the album rip:b, 21DivShare File - The Naked Truth.zipb, 21b, 21Somebody sampled "Peanut Butter Ice Cream Man", but I can't remember who.

  • /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I lived at 2228 Cambridge Street, Los Angeles Mid-City 90006 Califunkyfornia for about 8 or nine years. Owen Marshal was living four doors down when he made this record (check the Aditi address ont he back of the record, and on the back you can see him sitting butt naked at a fender rhodes playing the flute). The original record came sealed with a calender for 1976 with him posing nude for your viewing pleasure. He is sitting in the upstairs room in front of the window which faces out on Cambridge. I had a few of these copies and traded and sold them for about 100$. Shows what i know. b, 21b, 21 b1I tried to break into the back house garage when i was living there and totally freaked out the korean people that were living there. I was just sure he left some vinyl behind. [/b] Never got any but if you check out Cut Chemists album you can hear him and i doing a field recording at that location. b, 21b, 21An interesting side-note is that Jimmy Jewel lived around the corner at the same time this was being made. He was working on the dynamic soul society record at about the same time. Two records made within a block radius of each other in two years, and then 15 years later I record four albums at an address smack in between them. There is also a Frank Lloyd Wright house on that block too. b, 21b, 21Down the street from Cambridge street was the Bem-Sole headquarters, and around the corner off Washington was where the Marvin Gaye family house was and where he passed away. b, 21b, 21Big music neighborhood. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21ha! I can totally relate to that sentiment. Great story too.

  • I'm in the market for this LP. If anyone has one for sale, please get in touch.

  • drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    This thread needs an obligatory R. Jeff w/ white girls pic.b, 21b, 21(Sorry, in advance)b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21
Sign In or Register to comment.