last night, no one sat on a stage next to a better

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
drummer than I did...b, 21b, 21I DJ'd an Otis Clay show last night that was a benefit for the OV Wright memorial fund...a fund to help pay for his headstone (which is being uncovered today here in Memphis). The band was the Hi Rhythm. I have always admired that four on the floor Hi sound. So when the band took the stage I was on the side sitting next to Howard Grimes. Man, I knew what a pocket was before last night, but now I REALLY know. It was the most effortless hard work on a kit I have ever witness...no flashy fills...just pure solid rhythm...the only detail he would put on it would be the occasional 16th notes on the hi hat...b, 21b, 21the band also featured Floyd Newman...last night I found out he is the voice that says "Oooo Last Night" on the Mar Keys hit..was cool to hear the OG say that when they played it.b, 21b, 21But the nicest surprise was while DJing, I played some raer Memphis RNB..Lorece Thompson and theLargos..Howard asked "where did you get that? That was the first band I ever played in!" I was clueless as to some of the members of the band...drummer question solved...he was even gracious enough to sign my rackord:b, 21b, 21b, 21Otis Clay's voice is as gravely and great as ever and the crowd was made up of soul royalty.b, 21b, 21fun fun night!

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Saw Otis Clay with the Hi Rhythm/Grime Brothers (No Floyd Newman) about 10 years ago. They did a killer version of respect yourself and were as great as you say.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Does Otis do any of the One-Der-Ful stuff likeb, 21"Show Place" or "Got to Find a Way" or just the b, 21more smoothed-out Memphis joints? Either way I'db, 21be psyched to check him out, but getting down tob, 21"I Testify" would be extra sweet.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Does Otis do any of the One-Der-Ful stuff likeb, 21"Show Place" or "Got to Find a Way" or just the b, 21more smoothed-out Memphis joints? Either way I'db, 21be psyched to check him out, but getting down tob, 21"I Testify" would be extra sweet. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21not this show, since it was a benefit for OV Wright, he did mostly OV Wright tunes...the Masqueraders (who would have given a PETA member a heart attack, they were all wearing lizard(?) skin cowboy hats and fur coats img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/baller3ae.gif" alt="" 21) joined him on stage for a gospel number and they closed with "Love and Happiness". "Nickel and a Nail" was really cool, to hear those gangster horn lines live is something else. However, I did play "Easier Said than Done" in my DJ set.b, 21b, 21Since it was the Hi Rhythm, the few Clay tunes were Hi era tunes...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Hey, seeing Otis Clay perform "Nickel & a Nail" live sounds OK to me!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I heard Bobby Patterson raving on about one of these Otis Clay "OV Wright Benefit Shows" on the radio while driving from Dallas to Austin & I was thinking that it sounded like a great night. Glad to hear it went off well.

• Really wish I could have made that show. What a great cause that was. Red Kelly is a saint. Sounds like you had a Great time, Er*c. Go find me another copy of that LP img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• Damn, I would have never expected a label as square as Dot to put out an album like that Lorece Thompson! Good score, Hook...b, 21b, 21/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Does Otis do any of the One-Der-Ful stuff likeb, 21"Show Place" or "Got to Find a Way" or just the b, 21more smoothed-out Memphis joints? Either way I'db, 21be psyched to check him out, but getting down tob, 21"I Testify" would be extra sweet. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I've seen him several times here in Chicago, where he resides. I have never seen him do the One-Derful sides during his regular club dates; he indeed sticks to the smoother Memphis joints. But, as far as his more "dancefloor" records, I know I have definitely seen him do "Hard Working Woman" (originally on Cotillion)...every bit as good as the record.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    as previously stated over the years,Howard Grimes= my favourite drummer of all time, i am very jealous!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Singing a weak baritone harmony behind Roscoe Robinson and Otis Clay was not an experience I'll likely forget. "Jesus Be A Fence Around Me" is a standard, to be sure, but it never sounded like i1that[/i].b, 21b, 21Then Hermon Hitson walked in and showed Eli Reed how to play "Got That Will." img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21very jealous! b, 21b, 21h, 21

• Options
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21