what was your FIRST JOB

13»

Comments

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21At 14, I was a surveyor for the Town Water Dept. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21like George Washington!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    12 - Folding envelopes for my mom's business. It was great. I'd watch i1Goonies[/i] and get paid $0.05 per envelope!b, 21b, 21After that I worked at i1Taco Time[/i] which I actually loved but was subsequently fired (and to this day I have no idea why - I was 16). Then I sold credit cards in a mall and that sucked.b, 21b, 21And then it dawned on me that the best job was working at video rental places. so I worked in 3 different video rental stores in the span of 5 years and then became a theatre manager at a cinematheque. The last job (theatre manager) was the best job I'd ever had. The theatre was only open Thursdsay - Monday and all I did was ensure the projectionist arrived, volunteers arrived, and then I made popcorn. Sat around and read while the movie played. I started at 6pm and I was done by 9:30-10pm and got paid $12/h, + company cell phone. Plus, 90% of the female volunteers were fly.b, 21b, 21Yeah, I miss that job.

• Jobs I had before becoming the Last of the Famous Int'l Playboys:b, 21b, 21- age 15, wrangling carts and loading groceries into customers cars at Giant. that lasted a couple weeks.b, 21b, 21- age 16, in the summer worked for my neighbor doing interior painting and wallpapering all around the DC area, but mostly in rich ass fairfax county. i got paid under the table and worked 12h, days. my scratch was long. i also was an interpreter for my boss, so he hooked me up extrab, 21b, 21- age 16 or 17, was a shop hand at Peter Farrell supercars which was an exclusive RX-7 & IS300 tuning shop. that was dope. small, but expensive high clientel shop, got to drive amazing cars, got paid under the table, got a burrito thrown at me.b, 21b, 21- age 17 to 18 is a bit hazy for me, but i could get you any kind of north face jacket you wanted.b, 21b, 21- age 18 to 19, sales rep and parts delivery dood for the best nissan dealership in the DC/MD/VA area.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Aside from the paper route I started at 9 (maybe 10?), I started washing dishes in the function room kitchen of a yacht club at 13, then moved up to bar back at 14. I bar backed all through high school, stole hundreds of bottles of liquor during that period, and developed an inhuman tolerance for alcohol that persists to this day. b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerbang.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Oh, and during the summers in high school, I worked at the local DPW filling potholes with asphalt, replacing street signs, collecting trash from public barrels, and chopping down overgrowth on public land. It was as fun as it sounds.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    My first jobs were illb, 21b, 21I worked as a flyer distributor 8$/h under the table at 13...i was caking!b, 21b, 21Dishwasher 12$/h under the table for a super upscale restaurantb, 21the work was hard but getting to choose my cauce on my free duck or filet mignon meal every night (plus a round of stella every staurday) was greatb, 21b, 21i learned a lot about cookig workin in that kitchen

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Cutco Salesman b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Hell yeah, I sold 10K my first year and made it to this convention in barstow that was filled with high school kids running rampant and having sex in a hotel... ahh good times. b, 21b, 21h, 21 b, 21b, 21I did 6 appointments my first two days, but couldn't get past asking people to give me their friends #'s, so I could go bother them too. I made 6 out of 6 sales, and pulled a Costanza, walked away batting 1.000. b, 21b, 21Dude running the branch, was like "Dude! You've got real potential here!!!! No? Well, Ok, wanna sell me your High School directory, I'll give you a hundred bucks..." b, 21b, 21I also spent a couple weeks at a friends parents hardware business. A lawsuit had given them like 30 percent of the company, so every little bin of screws had to be counted and then split 70/30. b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hi.gif" alt="" 21

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    In 7th grade (which makes me, what, 13?) I worked after school in a kitchen supply warehouse, packaging pizza stones and cheesecloth. My boss eventually let me work by myself and I must have slackened my pace a little, because he fired a little bit after that. b, 21b, 21From there I worked at the local newspaper filing and keeping track of ads that they would re-use. All the pages were laid out on paper (or posterboard type shit) by hand and then shot with a camera. Later they let me do some X-acto knife work on some of the ads, moving little bits around and sticking the page numbers to the pages. Once it got to the point where computers could do all this shit, they had to let me go.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Paper route. Suuuuuuuucked. Age 13 or so. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21same.b, 21the paper went under and i never saw my last paycheck.b, 21those jerks still owe me $17

• From age 13 to 16, I delivered ice for The Iceman Ice Company (the Iceman was a family friend). He paid me and the other underage kid $4 an hour, cash, at the end of every day. Minimum wage at the time was $3.65 an hour, so we were ballin'. The Iceman would say, "You pay minimum wage, you get minimum work." b, 21b, 21Thanks to that job, I've been deep inside a dozen oil refineries (which cemented my decision to never work in one) and know more about ice than the average citizen. b, 21b, 21To quote The Iceman: "Manitowoc--that's the Cadillac of ice machines."

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21my best job was a job at a company that builds printers for the industry (expiration dates and serial numbers on pratically anything - food, plastic, metal, glass, stone, etc). i was the sample man. i had to print stuff on samples that were being sent to us. it was great. the printer was very cool to work with. and i was my own boss at the garage. i listened to music nonstop and got free food! b, 21b, 21the best thing about it was that i really got to work on my own. they even asked me to print logos on packages. it was super complicated, but really fun! best job for a student ever! they paid me A LOT! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21take that shit to the what was your BEST JOB thread. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21i just thought it was funny, because everyone in the company called me sampleman... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/530.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21my best job was a job at a company that builds printers for the industry (expiration dates and serial numbers on pratically anything - food, plastic, metal, glass, stone, etc). i was the sample man. i had to print stuff on samples that were being sent to us. it was great. the printer was very cool to work with. and i was my own boss at the garage. i listened to music nonstop and got free food! b, 21b, 21the best thing about it was that i really got to work on my own. they even asked me to print logos on packages. it was super complicated, but really fun! best job for a student ever! they paid me A LOT! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21take that shit to the what was your BEST JOB thread. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21i just thought it was funny, because everyone in the company called me sampleman... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/530.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21did you ever pee in the sink there sampleman?

• I worked on a maintenance crew at an elementary school for a summer when I was 13. The school was built in the early 1800's so it was just completely falling apart. My boss was this super lame part-time personal trainer/handyman dude who would always give me shit for eating so much junk food. I also started smoking pot that summer so I don't remember much else about the job.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I became a caddy on the belief that Caddyshack was a documentary. Yet none of the fuckface golfers I ever carried bags for were anywhere near as cool as Rodney Dangerfield.

• Got a job as a clerk in the local school district's officeb, 21worked in a big building downtown, had a computer i fucked up one month in and I would spend most of the time riding the elevators up and down the building instead of doing any real work

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    11-12 - mother's helper to woman across the street who had a toddler and was preggers with another. she was friends with my mom and was doing laundry and housecleaning and the doctor told her to stop. I started going over to help with that stuff. She smoked throughout the whole pregnancy and her baby came out yellow. She and her husband also had floor to ceiling record shelves.

• 15 - Pee Wee League Umpire...b, 2116 - Womans shoe salesmen (cake job related). Flirt with old ladies and spend money on gas, weed, and records.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    processed mail rebates for a local golf company, lots of data entry

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    help desk for state tax department

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Paper route. Suuuuuuuucked. Age 13 or so. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I delivered the Orange County Register by bike for a bit at that age until I got canned. It was so bad at the end of it that some days I just wouldn't deliver the papers at all except to those 2 or 3 that would actually take the time to call me to complain. b, 21b, 21Had a couple of other 13 year old neighborhood friends who also had paper routes and a few times on the weekend we snuck out one of parent's cars at like 4AM to make it that much easier on us. b, 21b, 21The worst though was collections...which is what actually turned me from being a good route runner to the laziest ever. It was like $3 a month for that paper and way too many adults had the gall to hold out on a 13 year old kid when it was time for me to ring their doorbell and collect. And that would come out of my pocket until they finally paid it. For some of those folks, I stopped delivering papers and started delivering daily eggs to their garage doors.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Worked selling clothes at my ma's clothing store on sundays for $50 for a full days work at the age of 10....slave labour for sho! The jackets i sold were $120each!!b, 21b, 21But fave job was at a video store from 16 to 20! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21$50/day on Sundays, for a 10 year old! Slave labour? That is huge money. I was on $4 something an hour at age 15 at my first job. Which was about the standard rate at the time, 1999. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21When I got my first wage job (at the age of 16 in 1987) working in the stock room of a Weiner's in Houston...I was making minimum wage, which was a whopping $3.35/hr.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21my best job was a job at a company that builds printers for the industry (expiration dates and serial numbers on pratically anything - food, plastic, metal, glass, stone, etc). i was the sample man. i had to print stuff on samples that were being sent to us. it was great. the printer was very cool to work with. and i was my own boss at the garage. i listened to music nonstop and got free food! b, 21b, 21the best thing about it was that i really got to work on my own. they even asked me to print logos on packages. it was super complicated, but really fun! best job for a student ever! they paid me A LOT! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21take that shit to the what was your BEST JOB thread. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21i just thought it was funny, because everyone in the company called me sampleman... b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21did you ever pee in the sink there sampleman? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21no, but the guy that was supposed to work there after me had to use the security shower. not for peeing though. but it still made me laugh. he was retarded and somehow managaed to get ink all over his face. i think he did it on purpose. he never came back.

A couple other high school gigs:b, 21b, 211. Dog Walker/Porter at a veterinarian clinic where I also got called on more than a few times to hold a dog as the doctor injected it with a euthanizing agent (hint: say a prayer with the dog then hope that 2 gallons of bile doesn't start spilling out of every orifice).b, 21b, 21and 2. Phone Solicitor for a carpet cleaning company. I was not cut out for that shit at all and only lasted about 2 weeks. It was back in the day before people had any way of tracing calls...so sometimes when I would get an answering machine I would leave a message such as...b, 21b, 21Hey, tell your wife to come over here and get her shit. She's been coming over here letting me F*ck her for the past few months and now I'm sick of her ugly ass and want her and all of her stuff gone for good. My name is "somebody else's" and my number is "the real number of that somebody else". b, 21b, 21I remember this one friend of mine came to school one morning with this huge story about how someone called him up and started cussing both he then his mom out to the point that they actually called the cops. Of course, I immediately gave myself away as the culprit by falling on the floor laughing. Dude really didn't think it was funny.