what was your FIRST JOB

Comments

• I bagged groceries for a little while in Tampico, Mexico when I was 8. I left in the middle of one of my shifts apparently .

• great post...b, 21b, 21my first job I was 12 and I was moving furniture with a friend in the back warehouse...not any of the really big stuff, just the smaller stuff. $5 an hour. b, 21b, 21My best job was when I was 16 in high school stringing tennis rackets at a shop. I started out at $4 a racket, and worked it to $8/racket within 4 months. Within 2 months I had already gotten to the point I could do 4 in an hour, come in for 4-5 hours...and bounce. I stayed there for over a year and a half working 3-4 days a week.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Handing out flyers on Union Square....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I started caddying at age 14.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hi.gif" alt="" 21

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21At 15 years old, I bagged groceries b, 21b, 21h, 21

• age 12, working as a little league umpire. they paid 20 bucks a game.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Prep cook for a Mexican Restaurant in Crested Butte, CO at 15. I had to make 20 gallons of salsa at a time. Chopping like 80 raw onions = img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hi.gif" alt="" 21. My manager (a ski patroller) told me to rock ski goggles to keep from constantly tearing up. Worked great!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I'll let you know...

• Paper route but I ending having two routes img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/balla-22.gif" alt="" 21. I then got a job at a bootleg-ass Jamba Juice spot called "Skinny Sippin'". I was eventually fired for sucking.

• Jobs I had before Rapper:b, 21b, 21Paper Route b, 21Bulk Coffee Grinder/Roaster ( I can't drink coffee now because of it)b, 21Convention Center Truck Unloader (saved enough money for MPC3000 in 94)b, 21Koo Koo Roo delivery to Office buildings downtownb, 21Cutco Salesmanb, 21Record Store Clerk b, 21b, 21I know i'm forgetting a bunch.b, 21b, 21honoroable mention to the homey: Double K was a shirt folder at The Gap

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    my best job was a job at a company that builds printers for the industry (expiration dates and serial numbers on pratically anything - food, plastic, metal, glass, stone, etc). i was the sample man. i had to print stuff on samples that were being sent to us. it was great. the printer was very cool to work with. and i was my own boss at the garage. i listened to music nonstop and got free food! b, 21b, 21the best thing about it was that i really got to work on my own. they even asked me to print logos on packages. it was super complicated, but really fun! best job for a student ever! they paid me A LOT!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21Cutco Salesmanb, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21For some strange reason, three different people in our neighborhood got this job at around the same time...every house on our street was subject to heated competition as to which one was gonna be able to sell some knives.b, 21b, 21They were pretty good knives, though, I must admit.

• Hell yeah, I sold 10K my first year and made it to this convention in barstow that was filled with high school kids running rampant and having sex in a hotel... ahh good times.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    13 sweepng the floor at Goodwill on James Island , SC.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    At 14, I was a surveyor for the Town Water Dept.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Worked on Al Jardine's ranch in Big Sur one summer.b, 21Paper Route at 12-13b, 21Delivering sammiches for a Deli at 13b, 21Bicycle shop from 14-18

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21my best job was a job at a company that builds printers for the industry (expiration dates and serial numbers on pratically anything - food, plastic, metal, glass, stone, etc). i was the sample man. i had to print stuff on samples that were being sent to us. it was great. the printer was very cool to work with. and i was my own boss at the garage. i listened to music nonstop and got free food! b, 21b, 21the best thing about it was that i really got to work on my own. they even asked me to print logos on packages. it was super complicated, but really fun! best job for a student ever! they paid me A LOT! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21take that shit to the what was your BEST JOB thread.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Paper route. Suuuuuuuucked. Age 13 or so. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hi.gif" alt="" 21 and now have a very real fear of any dog bigger than a fox terrier. My partner teases me about how I need to freeze or cross the road immediately when I see a dog out & about. Scarred for life. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 2113 sweepng the floor at Goodwill on James Island , SC. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 2112 - Stable cleaner--shoveled shit for 4 years at a stable my family managed, then got a job with a friend's dad's Servicemaster business cleaning the Mankato Clinic in Mankato MN. b, 21b, 21Do you know how hard that gynocological jelly is to get off a sink once it has hardened? f*cking hard.b, 21b, 21The same Servicemaster gig had me clean out the basement of a Optomitrist office that flooded....that sucked. I was by myself shoveling soaked tax records into a dumpster for about 4 days.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Milk Boy, b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21ahhh mate...you just earned yourself a new nickname...heheheheb, 21b, 21My first job w/o taxb, 21cleaning pubs w/ Dad & delivering spanish pastrys with my uncle when I was 11-13yrs oldb, 21b, 21First offical taxed jobb, 21b, 21it hurts to say it...McDonalds 14yrs and 9mth (spent that first paycheck on records!!!)

• Aside from a paper route - which sucked royally - my first job was as muscle for an old couple who drove down from Brooklyn with a van load of electronics (boom boxes, CB radios, under dash car stereos, speakers etc) to the local flea market on the weekends. I had to unload (and reload) their truck, help them sell and guard the stand so (their words, not mine) that the "schvartzers" wouldn't steal the boomboxes.b, 21I had to stand out in the open all summer long and well into the winter. I'd come home smelling like dust, fried onions, cigarettes and car exhaust.b, 21I worked my ass off for like 15 bucks a day, which I took on my 15 minute lunch break, directly to the record guy (my next job, just as bad) and spend on vinyl.

• DISHWASHING. followed by various warehouse stocking jobs

• summer job sweeping floors and assembling shipping boxes at a warehouse, also painted the exterior of the building (this took like 2 weeks, its was a big building) and put down fresh blacktop on the parking lot. nasty! sub minimum wage too, but i was too young to command more. i was just happy to have some $ to buy a new skateboard, etc.

• When I was 13 I worked at a rat hole hot dog stand for 3.25 an hour. The owner would hire kids so he could pay them less. Total dirtbag. Once he called to see how the night was going, I told how much money we made, and got all pissed and told me never to count his money, like we were gambling or something. A 13 year old kid. b, 21b, 21My second job was also at a hot dog place working below min. wage. I think being a dirt bag is required to own a hot dog stand. The good thing about his place though, was being able to eat junk food when ever I wanted, which was a major score for a 14 year old, and his friends.

• i worked at age 13 at crystal pistol pizza palace... which was in this shitty second rate amusement park that was old western themed.... Called frontier town. It had a trailer park that was part of frontier town that had thousands of the shittiest rednecks ever. I think i was paid like 6 dollars an hour under the table.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i worked at age 13 at crystal pistol pizza palace... which was in this shitty second rate amusement park that was old western themed.... Called frontier town. It had a trailer park that was part of frontier town that had thousands of the shittiest rednecks ever. I think i was paid like 6 dollars an hour under the table. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21While I shoveled shit in the barns, I fantasized about a glamorous job like this. At least you got to see girls.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    When I was 12 my Dad and I drove around every Thursday night....that was the night to put out your larger trash.....we would basically pick people's garbage and sell it at the 110 Flea Market on Saturdays......we found lots of furniture, lawn equipment, etc. we would bring home discarded bikes which we would fix up(if needed) and during the summer I was making $100-$200 a week.....much more than my buddies with paper routes.b, 21I was called "garbage picker" from time to time.....but I was making cash....best week was a large ship compass in a wooden box that we sold for $250.....Dad was teachin' me his work ethic.....did it for three years, 6-7 months a year....beat working.

• KFC when i was 16, not much fun, i wasnt trained my first days because they were too busy, so i was always asking questions which they didnt like, they would give me like 4 hrs a week so i just stopped going

• Stock clerk in a shoe store at 16. Did that then left once I graduated from High School.

• per0per0 153 Posts
    Umpiring indoor cricket.