Poetic License: Early 90s Rap-Related

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Which is the greater strain on poetic license?b, 21b, 21A. Rhyming "Devil" with "Shovel"b, 21b, 21B. Rhyming "Lotto" with "Bottle"b, 21b, 21I'm going with A.b, 21b, 21Feel free to add on.

Comments

• rhyming the same words with each other over and over

• That's more of a post-millennial phenomenon, isn't it? I'm thinking Dipset.

• Nah, I'm thinking Juvenile. Rhyming huh in the late nineties.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I'm saying B, only because I know a lot of folks who actually do say "shevel" (cf. "rernt" instead of "ruined").b, 21b, 21Rhyming "cornea" with "hornier"b, 21b, 21b/wb, 21b, 21Rhyming "cornea" with "runnin' up on ya"

• what about the half word rhymes where they split a word up and make half rhyme with some other shit

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21That's more of a post-millennial phenomenon, isn't it? I'm thinking Dipset. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21In your homepiece MC Hammer's British Knights commercial back in ninety-whatever, I'm pretty sure he turned it out with "This is a mission / that I'm [i]on/i1 / Sportin' BKs / got it goin' [i]on/i1." A head who was ahead, clearly.b, 21b, 21King Just's "Warrior's Drum" has that verse where he rhymes "shit" with "shit" quite a bit (oh shit--that rhymed!).

A sentimental favorite that I've mentioned previously: Rhyming "metal pipe" with "pedal-bike."

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Nah, I'm thinking Juvenile. Rhyming huh in the late nineties. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21I don't know if that really counts, though, because the words [i]before/i1 "huh"/"ha" also rhyme with each other (e.g. "Benz, ha?" 2 "friends, ha?").

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21That's more of a post-millennial phenomenon, isn't it? I'm thinking Dipset. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21In your homepiece MC Hammer's British Knights commercial back in ninety-whatever, I'm pretty sure he turned it out with "This is a mission / that I'm [i]on/i1 / Sportin' BKs / got it goin' [i]on/i1." A head who was ahead, clearly.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21I believe that HamDogg also once said "I skyrocket like a...[i]rocket/i1."

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21That's more of a post-millennial phenomenon, isn't it? I'm thinking Dipset. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21In your homepiece MC Hammer's British Knights commercial back in ninety-whatever, I'm pretty sure he turned it out with "This is a mission / that I'm [i]on/i1 / Sportin' BKs / got it goin' [i]on/i1." A head who was ahead, clearly.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21I believe that HamDogg also once said "I skyrocket like a...[i]rocket/i1." b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21If you're gonna go there then no one's got Mike D faded:b, 21b, 21"Everybody rappin' like it's a commercial/acting like life is a big commercial" b, 21b, 21Granted he only repeats once, but it's a doozy. b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eagle.gif" alt="" 21

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I remember a metallica "lyric" that does that...that always got harsher treatment (white liberal guilt, and all that...)b, 21b, 21I just read a preview of Large Pro coming to town, in the local "alternative weekly." Dude claims that Extra P is a decent-enough rapper and great producer (which with I agree). He tells the yutes to listen to the Main Source album to prove the beats part...this is okay. Then, to back up his assertion that dude's a good rapper, he cites "...I dont wanna ill, I just wannachill, and wrap my hands around a hundred dollar bill..." I laughed out loud, because that's always been one of the most cringe-worthy lines around, in my opinion.b, 21b, 21I know it doesn't fit the criteria, but yeah um.b, 21b, 21People always get on dipset for rhyming their penultimate words, as if that's their biggest mistake. I like it; it's a legit rhymeskeem wtf

oh: and I say "A."

I f[i]/i1ucking hate hate [i]hate/i1 Large Professor as a rapper, so much so that it's always been really hard for me to consider [i]Breaking Atoms/i1 a classic. "It's grim / but dead is my antonym"? Gack. That shit makes me want to clock him in the head with some big space shoes.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I f[i]/i1ucking hate hate [i]hate/i1 Large Professor as a rapper, so much so that it's always been really hard for me to consider [i]Breaking Atoms/i1 a classic. "It's grim / but dead is my antonym"? Gack. That shit makes me want to clock him in the head with some big space shoes. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21dude!!? F'reals? I liked a lot of Large's first solo shit. I always thought his rhymes where good. Nothing great, but just on [i]rap schitt/i1 he rode the beat well.b, 21b, 21My ears perk up whenever I heard "texas" and "lexus" in rhymes. b, 21b, 21I GOT A LEXUS AS BIG AS TEXAS

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Man SS ALWAYS comes through with the most hilarious opinions on rappers. Fools on here were talking about CL SMOOTH being a bad rapper. WRONG.b, 21b, 21You really don't like Breaking Atoms because the rapping is bad? Really?b, 21b, 21b, 21....really?

figure/n-word/trigger triumvirate reigns supreme in all this comeon srsly

and don't forget the amazingly bad forced-acronyms...b, 21b, 21or when you got too clever for your own good and made a whole song only using horse-racing jockeynames or some shit...or your alphabet song gets blown up when you say your Z-word wrong...b, 21b, 21I love it all!

• i wouldn't go so far as to say i HATE them, but i agree that some of Large Prof's rhymes were weak on that 1st LP. Still like the LP though.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21figure/n-word/trigger triumvirate reigns supreme in all this comeon srsly b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21img src="http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3396/dognoideafz7.gif"1

• Not sure if this counts but beastie boys:b, 21b, 21I got more ____ than ____ got ______....b, 21b, 21Repeated over and over

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    check it / wreck itb, 21wicked / kick itb, 21dome / microphone

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Man SS ALWAYS comes through with the most hilarious opinions on rappers. Fools on here were talking about CL SMOOTH being a bad rapper. WRONG.b, 21b, 21You really don't like Breaking Atoms because the rapping is bad? Really?b, 21b, 21b, 21....really? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It being "hard for me to consider Breaking Atoms a classic" is not the same as me not liking it, dude. I like it well enough, just not as much as I'm told I oughta.b, 21b, 21You really like LP's rapping on that record, then?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    anything Kurupt ever said is a stretch but that's why I dig himb, 21b, 21b/wb, 21b, 21Suga Free starting lines with shit that don't have SHIT to do with the verse but just added in for cadence and rhyme value. love him for thatb, 21b, 21"oxygen...you lee me lone lee me lone before I lock you in that itty bitty box again."

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21figure/n-word/trigger triumvirate reigns supreme in all this comeon srsly b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21img src="http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3396/dognoideafz7.gif"1 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21like um that's the holy trinity of obvious rhymes in the post-"at the age of one, i had tons of fun..."-rhymes era in which we live nee in which we lived, as we have progressed past that one through the superscientifical reading-the-glossary-of-a-chemistry-text era, and perhaps reverted to the initial discochant.b, 21b, 21what I mean to say is I have no idea what I'm talking about thank you.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21era in which we live nee in which we livedb, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Ahem.b, 21b, 21N??b, 21Pronunciation:ˈnā b, 21Function: adjective b, 21Etymology: French, literally, born ??? more at n??e[/b] [the feminine form]b, 21Date: 1905b, 211 ???used to indicate the original, former, or legal name of a man Robert Roe, n?? John Doe> 2 : originally or formerly called b, 21b, 21As opposed to:b, 21b, 21Nay b, 21Pronunciation: ˈnā b, 21Function: adverb b, 21Etymology: Middle English, from Old Norse nei, from ne not + ei ever ??? more at no, ayeb, 21Date: 13th centuryb, 211 - no b, 21b, 21b, 21And while we're defining things, some of you may want to look into the definition of "poetic license."

• I have no problem with people stretching words around to rhyme however which way you thought they weren't spose to go together. Language is a living, constantly changing thing. There is no correct English, only different standards.b, 21b, 21My only exception is when people do that "that's my senarrio, oops excuse me, my scenario." It was kinda clever when Bun B did it the first time, but mispronouncing something to make it rhyme, and then doing this "oops excuse me" shit is no longer clever. Run with your mispronunciation, or think of a word that you actually think rhymes. This irks me every time.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "test the skills" b/w "testicles"

• Yeah/Here (Heah)

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21figure/n-word/trigger triumvirate reigns supreme in all this comeon srsly b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21img src="http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3396/dognoideafz7.gif"1 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21co-fukin-sign. What planet is this dude from? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif" alt="" 21

• my favorite early 90s raplips is stillb, 21b, 21either the rhymes is going faster than the beatb, 21or the,,,,,b, 21gadammit im sweet