OMG time - Beyoncee is repping that ETTA movie

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Whats wrong with lip syncing to Etta?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Beyonce doesn't do a terrible job on the songs. Face it though, we're never gonna be satisfied by this movie, but "joe blow - owns one chess blues compilation cd" is going to lap it up. Dare I say it looks classier than Etta's current live "burlesque" show anyways.... Etta doesn't seem too upset with it at the end of that clip.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21No it wasn't her - I would remember her. Someone from a few seasons back - maybe not even a winner? Pickwick will have to refresh - Fantasia doesn't resemble James really, this other gal came closer.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Kimberley Locke? Lookswise maybe sorta, but the grit? I dunno... b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Yup - I am not familiar with her at all so can't speak on it past looks.b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21F*ck. How do I get to party/hang/be near with Keyshia Cole????b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Beyonce doesn't do a terrible job on the songs. Face it though, we're never gonna be satisfied by this movie, but "joe blow - owns one chess blues compilation cd" is going to lap it up. Dare I say it looks classier than Etta's current live "burlesque" show anyways.... Etta doesn't seem too upset with it at the end of that clip. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I agree. b, 21b, 21I dont see Hollywood finding a throaty-voiced-look-alike to play James.b, 21b, 21They just dont make them like her anymore. And theyre not on the Pop/R&B scene.b, 21b, 21Beyonce is simply a glamourous Hollywood draw. Simple.b, 21b, 21/object1b, 21b, 21Now watch how James sons two other Legends.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Was she the most important female artist at Chess in the 60s?b, 21b, 21I can't think of too many others, Fontella Bass, Koko Taylor, Jean DuShon...? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21Mitty Collier, Moms Mabley img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21I think Etta would have to have been the most consistent over an extended period, absolutely she was the most important. b, 21Someone like Fontella hit big then faded, Koko was always too rough around the edges. b, 21Jean duShon's "known" Chess stuff is too jazz I wouldn't even mention her in the same league. b, 21Who else is there? Jan Bradley, Betty James, Yvonne Baker, Sugar Pie DeSanto, Jackie Ross, Laura Lee. All a tier below Etta or in the case of Laura Lee "pre-wider fame". In the eyes of normal people they are barely one hit wonders. At least Etta has TV commercial hits. b, 21b, 21Does anyone ride for the Jean DuShon LP's? She is a good jazz singer, I wish she had recorded more soul/R&B for Chess though based on whatis hinted at on her previous 45s.

• its not the singing or lack there of that ruins it for me. its not even that she looks nothing like etta. its the lack of soul. or whatever it was etta has. that certain something about her that just makes me cry even if etta is just up on stage shaking her head looking at the ground or whatevers. yeah, beyonce dont have it. cant even act like she do.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21its not the singing or lack there of that ruins it for me. its not even that she looks nothing like etta. its the lack of soul. or whatever it was etta has. that certain something about her that just makes me cry even if etta is just up on stage shaking her head looking at the ground or whatevers. yeah, beyonce dont have it. cant even act like she do. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21COLD TRUTH.

• Options
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah, I hear Etta was NOT feeling the casting choice. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21No kidding! Uhg - it makes me sick to think about it. b, 21b, 21b, 21Oh what's that? You'd like chana masala, a bourbon neat and a two-hour shiatsu session?b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21Here - take some oatmeal, lukewarm tea and a tickle instead.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21The wig will have to really pull its weight if this is going to work. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/funnypost.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21b, 21At the end of the youtube clip where beyonce hugs etta james, only thing I could think of was that the two of them probably smelled terrific.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21Eric Bogosian ... Alan Freed b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21This is good casting. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Unless you've seen Tim McIntyre in 'American Hot Wax'.... b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Unfortunately, McIntyre is dead, so Bogosian will have to do.b, 21b, 21Besides...McIntyre did a good job, but he was built like a linebacker. The real Freed was skinnier.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Where the hell is Pickwick?b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I was out and away from the computer when this thread started to pick up steam...it was indeed Kim Locke I was referring to the last time this topic came up. Can't speak on her vocals either, but I'm sure she has enough raw material to work with... b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Was she the most important female artist at Chess in the 60s?b, 21b, 21I can't think of too many others, Fontella Bass, Koko Taylor, Jean DuShon...? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21Mitty Collier, Moms Mabley img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21In the scheme of things, I think Etta James and Moms Mabley would have had to have been the most important female artists at Chess period, not just the sixties. Somebody put a smile face next to Moms Mabley, but her success was no joke - many of her Chess albums made Billboard's pop charts, and two of them were Top 20. She wasn't a singer, true***, but she was a female who recorded for Chess and sold a lot of albums (as opposed to 45's). So on a technicality, she and Etta were the most successful women at Chess. Koko, Jackie, Fontella, Sugar Pie, etc.., may have had some hits here & there, while Jean DuShon and Dorothy Ashby were keeping it real on the jazz side. But the most successful of all the Chess women would have had to have been Etta and Moms.b, 21b, 21Although they still wasted a golden opportunity by not casting Tyler Perry as Moms Mabley...b, 21b, 21[color:red]***well, she did do those comedy songs every now and then, and Chess once compiled them all on one LP, but that don't count!!--color--1/font1

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21its not the singing or lack there of that ruins it for me. its not even that she looks nothing like etta. its the lack of soul. or whatever it was etta has. that certain something about her that just makes me cry even if etta is just up on stage shaking her head looking at the ground or whatevers. yeah, beyonce dont have it. cant even act like she do. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I think the reason why Beyonce ain't got It is because, unlike Etta's generation, Beyonce and her peers didn't grow up with the blues. You mix that with gospel (plus a mild country influence) and you have classic 1960's soul as we know it. And there's an intensity there that you do not get from the current crop of "urban contemporary" artists.b, 21b, 21The Beyonce generation held on to the gospel, but left the blues behind. (And country? Forget it, that's done...)

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21its not the singing or lack there of that ruins it for me. its not even that she looks nothing like etta. its the lack of soul. or whatever it was etta has. that certain something about her that just makes me cry even if etta is just up on stage shaking her head looking at the ground or whatevers. yeah, beyonce dont have it. cant even act like she do. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I think the reason why Beyonce ain't got It is because, unlike Etta's generation, Beyonce and her peers didn't grow up with the blues. You mix that with gospel (plus a mild country influence) and you have classic 1960's soul as we know it. And there's an intensity there that you do not get from the current crop of "urban contemporary" artists.b, 21b, 21The Beyonce generation held on to the gospel, but left the blues behind. (And country? Forget it, that's done...) b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21it's really interesting how country was such a dominant influence for every single great soul singer of the 60s (at least the southern ones for sure). tons of soul albums featured covers of country songs, not to mention entire albums of country music like Modern Sounds in C&W Music - my favorite Ray Charles. b, 21b, 21it's such a foreign idea nowadays for country music to have any influence at all on R&B - at least as far as I can tell. i would love to hear how a modern R&B singer or hip hop artist would incorporate some of the sounds or ideas of country music into their sound in 2009. b, 21b, 21the opposite does take place however - recent article in the new yorker raving about taylor swift talked a lot about how she performs songs by eminem and beyonce in concert. vice versa though, the open-mindedness stops at the classic "I like all music except for country" line.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21its not the singing or lack there of that ruins it for me. its not even that she looks nothing like etta. its the lack of soul. or whatever it was etta has. that certain something about her that just makes me cry even if etta is just up on stage shaking her head looking at the ground or whatevers. yeah, beyonce dont have it. cant even act like she do.[/b] b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21COLD TRUTH. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21This is the point. If they got a great actress she could convince us she is Etta even if she didn't look like her. b, 21b, 21As for sounding like her, just have her lipsync. b, 21b, 21I love music bio pics. From the Benny Goodman Story, to La Babamba to I Walk The Line. I'm sure I will see this one. b, 21b, 21Beyonce was born to play a Dianna Ross type singer in a musical. Etta, not so much.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21I love music bio pics. From the Benny Goodman Story, to La Babamba to I Walk The Line.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21its not the singing or lack there of that ruins it for me. its not even that she looks nothing like etta. its the lack of soul. or whatever it was etta has. that certain something about her that just makes me cry even if etta is just up on stage shaking her head looking at the ground or whatevers. yeah, beyonce dont have it. cant even act like she do. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I think the reason why Beyonce ain't got It is because, unlike Etta's generation, Beyonce and her peers didn't grow up with the blues. You mix that with gospel (plus a mild country influence) and you have classic 1960's soul as we know it. And there's an intensity there that you do not get from the current crop of "urban contemporary" artists.b, 21b, 21The Beyonce generation held on to the gospel, but left the blues behind. (And country? Forget it, that's done...) b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21it's really interesting how country was such a dominant influence for every single great soul singer of the 60s (at least the southern ones for sure). tons of soul albums featured covers of country songs, not to mention entire albums of country music like Modern Sounds in C&W Music - my favorite Ray Charles. b, 21b, 21it's such a foreign idea nowadays for country music to have any influence at all on R&B - at least as far as I can tell. i would love to hear how a modern R&B singer or hip hop artist would incorporate some of the sounds or ideas of country music into their sound in 2009. b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21When they came out with that Rhythm, Country & Blues anthology in the nineties - where they had country & R&B acts doing duets - I noticed that while several of the white acts were still considered current, all the black artists were from an earlier generation. Somehow I doubt if Boyz II Men or Bobby Brown or even Luther Vandross would have had any kind of C&W influence in their sound.

• dmadma 36 Posts
    How can they do a movie about Chess without Richard Evans?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21How can they do a movie about Chess without Richard Evans? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21If they do a movie about Cadet, maybe.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21How can they do a movie about Chess without Richard Evans? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21If they do a movie about Cadet, maybe. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21There's two kinds of Chess fans, the ones into the Muddy Waters/Howlin' Wolf era vs. the ones into the Charles Stepney/Richard Evans period.b, 21b, 21I think this movie is gonna speak to the fans of Muddy and the Wolf.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21If they got a great actress she could convince us she is Etta even if she didn't look like her. b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You got that right. Denzel Washington doesn't look shit like Malcolm X, and Lou Diamond Phillips would have had to put on a few more pounds before anyone mistook him for Ritchie Valens.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Was she the most important female artist at Chess in the 60s?b, 21b, 21I can't think of too many others, Fontella Bass, Koko Taylor, Jean DuShon...? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21Mitty Collier, Moms Mabley img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21In the scheme of things, I think Etta James and Moms Mabley would have had to have been the most important female artists at Chess period, not just the sixties. Somebody put a smile face next to Moms Mabley, but her success was no joke - many of her Chess albums made Billboard's pop charts, and two of them were Top 20. She wasn't a singer, true***, but she was a female who recorded for Chess and sold a lot of albums (as opposed to 45's). So on a technicality, she and Etta were the most successful women at Chess. Koko, Jackie, Fontella, Sugar Pie, etc.., may have had some hits here & there, while Jean DuShon and Dorothy Ashby were keeping it real on the jazz side. But the most successful of all the Chess women would have had to have been Etta and Moms.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Laura Lee cut some killer sides for Chess, and had a hit with Dirty Man.b, 21b, 21Not that she can be argued for "most important" but she definitely belongsb, 21in that list above. For what it's worth, Koko Taylor got alot of shine on theb, 21Chess Studios tour that I took, along with Etta of course. But dude definitelyb, 21said something about Koko Taylor being the grand dame of Chess or whatever.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21How can they do a movie about Chess without Richard Evans? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21If they do a movie about Cadet, maybe. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21There's two kinds of Chess fans, the ones into the Muddy Waters/Howlin' Wolf era vs. the ones into the Charles Stepney/Richard Evans period.b, 21b, 21I think this movie is gonna speak to the fans of Muddy and the Wolf. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21The movie trailer says Chess in the 1950s. Which was when Muddy, Howlin and Willie Dixon and Chuck Berry recorded all their hits. b, 21b, 21Etta's hits came in the 60s.b, 21b, 21Was she even there in the 50s? I thought she was in LA with Johnny Otis. b, 21b, 21According to Rockin' Records her 50s sides were on Crown (Kent..) and her 60s on Chess (Argo...).b, 21b, 21The movie doesn't have to be historically accurate for me, I just wonder what kind of scope they are giving it. b, 21b, 21Is it really a movie about the Chess Brothers?b, 21b, 21Think it will make Mo Better Blues look like a pro Jews-as-music-promoters movie?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21The movie trailer says Chess in the 1950s. Which was when Muddy, Howlin and Willie Dixon and Chuck Berry recorded all their hits. b, 21b, 21Etta's hits came in the 60s.b, 21b, 21Was she even there in the 50s? I thought she was in LA with Johnny Otis. b, 21b, 21According to Rockin' Records her 50s sides were on Crown (Kent..) and her 60s on Chess (Argo...).b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21To a lot of people, the sixties don't really begin until the Beatles show up. Everything before 1964 is just a hangover from the fifties. b, 21b, 21Etta came to Chess just as the sixties were starting (and the fifties were ending), so I'll bet that's probably why the filmmakers considered her the last of that earlier generation.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Was she the most important female artist at Chess in the 60s?b, 21b, 21I can't think of too many others, Fontella Bass, Koko Taylor, Jean DuShon...? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21Mitty Collier, Moms Mabley img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21In the scheme of things, I think Etta James and Moms Mabley would have had to have been the most important female artists at Chess period, not just the sixties. Somebody put a smile face next to Moms Mabley, but her success was no joke - many of her Chess albums made Billboard's pop charts, and two of them were Top 20. She wasn't a singer, true***, but she was a female who recorded for Chess and sold a lot of albums (as opposed to 45's). So on a technicality, she and Etta were the most successful women at Chess. Koko, Jackie, Fontella, Sugar Pie, etc.., may have had some hits here & there, while Jean DuShon and Dorothy Ashby were keeping it real on the jazz side. But the most successful of all the Chess women would have had to have been Etta and Moms.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Laura Lee cut some killer sides for Chess, and had a hit with Dirty Man.b, 21b, 21Not that she can be argued for "most important" but she definitely belongsb, 21in that list above. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I definitely didn't mean to leave Laura out of it, but if I named ALL the females at Chess in the sixties I'd be here all day! img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21 That "etc." was lovingly for Laura, Jan Bradley, Joanne Garrett, Minnie Riperton, and the rest I didn't mention. b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21For what it's worth, Koko Taylor got alot of shine on theb, 21Chess Studios tour that I took, along with Etta of course. But dude definitelyb, 21said something about Koko Taylor being the grand dame of Chess or whatever. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Koko Taylor and Buddy Guy actually got bigger (as far as blues artists go) after they LEFT Chess...

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21The movie trailer says Chess in the 1950s. Which was when Muddy, Howlin and Willie Dixon and Chuck Berry recorded all their hits. b, 21b, 21Etta's hits came in the 60s.b, 21b, 21Was she even there in the 50s? I thought she was in LA with Johnny Otis. b, 21b, 21According to Rockin' Records her 50s sides were on Crown (Kent..) and her 60s on Chess (Argo...).b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21To a lot of people, the sixties don't really begin until the Beatles show up. Everything before 1964 is just a hangover from the fifties. b, 21b, 21Etta showed up at Chess just as the sixties were starting (and the fifties were ending), so I'll bet that's probably why the filmmakers considered her the last of that earlier generation. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I think that's fair enough.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts