RIP Streetlight Records (Noe Valley)

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Saw a sign in their window last night that said that they'll be closing their doors at the end of January. Sad, but I'm not surprised. Noe Valley Video, right across the street, shut its doors last Saturday. b, 21b, 21http://www.noevalleyvoice.com/2008/November/StLt.html/a1

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    is that record store in West Portal still around?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Damn. I would bet that the San Jose spot will close soon too and all that will be left is Market Street and Santa Cruz, which seems to still do decent business.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21is that record store in West Portal still around? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Oh damn I haven't been there in forever. I don't know.

• What's going on in San Francisco? That's two closings in one week.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21What's going on in San Francisco?b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I'm guessing high-speed internet.b, 21b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21That's two closings in one week. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21This one and...? What did I miss?

• What else closed in SF?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21What else closed in SF? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Open Mind.

• Went there back in the day. Too bad it's going.

What's next? Recycled? Grooves?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Saw a sign in their window last night that said that they'll be closing their doors at the end of January. Sad, but I'm not surprised. Noe Valley Video, right across the street, shut its doors last Saturday. b, 21b, 21http://www.noevalleyvoice.com/2008/November/StLt.html/a1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Dang, my mom told me about this on Sunday. b, 21b, 21The morning of my wedding day, I was able to kill some prenuptial jitters by popping in there for a little record shopping. Another tragic loss for the Valley. Of course, I still pine for Glen Five and Dime (where the Radio Shack is now) and the original Star Magic, and I'll never forgive Aquarius for moving to Valencia St. (although I still shop there).

• b, 21man, those shops are all falling like dominoes. sad stuff, although like hogg, given the inventory and larger forces at work I'm not that surprised. did open mind ever find a decent relocation spot after shuttering divisadero? is jack's record cellar still crusty & musty? to be honest, i thought these shops would go much sooner once amoeba rolled into the haight. especially recycled...some real cockroaches in this game though.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21What else closed in SF? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Open Mind. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Oh, right. I kind of forgot they were open, ever since they left the location on Divis.

Open Mind was a victim of its own ineptitude. They really could have done NICELY for themselves but talk to anyone who ever worked there. b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21You know what I miss? And I'm not remotely joking: Funky Riddms. b, 21b, 21The records I copped out of there over the years...man.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Open Mind was a victim of its own ineptitude. They really could have done NICELY for themselves but talk to anyone who ever worked there. b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21As a store owner I'm curious what their mistakes were. More details please. You can PM me if it involves blasting anyone on this board.

• Spelunkb, 21b, 21I HOPE San Jose Streetlight stays open and this all one big rumor. That'll be a real shame if it dude. I have some homies who work there and really the only place outside of San Francisco I can cop new music.b, 21b, 21I think half of my records have come from Open Mind. So many great titles that are personal favorites, stuff I still play out, and things I've used have come from there. I also got a lot of great latin, reggae, and disco 12''s from there.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21You know what I miss? And I'm not remotely joking: Funky Riddms. b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21He still does the Ashby flea market although I think he's strictly 45's. Saw him on Telegraph once. Haven't bought anything from him since his shop closed on Ashby. Guy is roundly hated on whenever his name is mentioned.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21You know what I miss? And I'm not remotely joking: Funky Riddms. b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21He still does the Ashby flea market although I think he's strictly 45's. Saw him on Telegraph once. Haven't bought anything from him since his shop closed on Ashby. Guy is roundly hated on whenever his name is mentioned. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Yeah but since when was the record game about congeniality?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21You know what I miss? And I'm not remotely joking: Funky Riddms. b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21Guy is roundly hated on whenever his name is mentioned. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21i've heard the same thing. why the hate?

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I know(from just going there the last couple of times), it was pretty slow.But like P*****k says, I really hope they do not close down and we both have friends in the same circle. I still pull shit out of there all the time and hope this does not happen, But at the same time, I know (just caused I used to work there) The San Jose & Santa Cruz stores generated more money than the stores in the Bay (but then again, that was about 7 years ago) Fingers crossed.b, 21b, 21R.I.P. Streetlight, Open Mind, Noe Valley Video..Bummerb, 21b, 21b, 21Funk Riddims..Whatever happen to him?Last time I saw him he had like a ice cream cart selling shit (cd's tapes,etc)on Telegraph. I would get some good trades and deals from him.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Spelunkb, 21b, 21I HOPE San Jose Streetlight stays open and this all one big rumor. That'll be a real shame if it dude. I have some homies who work there and really the only place outside of San Francisco I can cop new music.b, 21b, 21I think half of my records have come from Open Mind. So many great titles that are personal favorites, stuff I still play out, and things I've used have come from there. I also got a lot of great latin, reggae, and disco 12''s from there. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Man, I really hope so too but everytime I stop by (which granted isn't as often as you probably) it is crickets. Ours in Santa Cruz is going very strong though which is promising as they are my spot for everything new.b, 21b, 21The Funky Riddims story is kinda long and convoluted but bottom line is that Bay Area Funk is A) a botched project B) not dude's own work, records, or label scans. But hey, he used to let go of $200 soul 45s for $4 cause they weren't funky, so you win some, you lose some.b, 21b, 21I really don't get why he or anyone would try to sell at the Ashby Flea market though. That place gets no butt, dawg.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Sad, but I'm not surprised. b, 21b, 21h, 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21You know what I miss? And I'm not remotely joking: Funky Riddms. b, 21b, 21The records I copped out of there over the years...man. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21haha cosine.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i actually liked funky riddms as well, but i think he had a poor business model which is why he went under. the east bay could definitely use a record store like that though.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21You know what I miss? And I'm not remotely joking: Funky Riddms. b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21Guy is roundly hated on whenever his name is mentioned. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21i've heard the same thing. why the hate? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I think he was good to his customers but didn't have patience for anyone else. I gotta imagine he'd get multiple calls daily from every wannabe producer or rapper wanting to hock their wares.b, 21b, 21He used to make his money off old-school vinyl reissues but when that dried up years ago he couldn't make it.

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    Wuddup y'all. Long time lurker that works at the San Jo location. Noe Valley's closing due to ridiculous rent increases in the neighborhood and the relative proximity of the Market St. store. Though our store is slow at times, we're still going strong. Every time I put out a batch of wax, it's gone within hours, our used CD game is strong. Thanks to YP and Age for the kind words.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Yo N**e..b, 21Good to hear homie!!!!!!

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Wuddup y'all. Long time lurker that works at the San Jo location. Noe Valley's closing due to ridiculous rent increases in the neighborhood and the relative proximity of the Market St. store. Though our store is slow at times, we're still going strong. Every time I put out a batch of wax, it's gone within hours, our used CD game is strong. Thanks to YP and Age for the kind words. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Good news about the Bascom location, it's pretty much my #1 source for new hip-hop vinyl and Bay Area indie stuff. Did you guys ever get the new Bronx River Parkway LP? Didn't see it last time I was there about 2.5 weeks ago.

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    Yup Yup. 4 copies on hand right now. Just re-stocked the Menahan record as well. Sup Age... coming to the Santa Cruz swap on saturday? Brummett and I are sharing a table.

Sweet, if I have any money left over after the KZSC record swap I might have to swoop on a copy on my way back home to Silicon Valley.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yup Yup. 4 copies on hand right now. Just re-stocked the Menahan record as well. Sup Age... coming to the Santa Cruz swap on saturday? Brummett and I are sharing a table. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I am pretty sure I am, I will hit you up later homie:) and congrats, I was worried about you, Brummett and the rest of crew there(Basura,Brian ,etc).b, 21b, 21Peace and see most of ya'll there on Saturday..I think.b, 21b, 21b, 21Oh, welcome aboard homie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!b, 21N**e is good people and does not get any nicer than him.b, 21b, 21