WTF is wrong with Kanye. Really. Autotune-R

Comments

• Kanye's mind is broken, that's the only way I can explain this shit....

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I'm holding out on judging this album till I hear it all as I seemed to be one of the few people on here who didn't hate Love Lockdown when it first started circulating around. Either way, I think it's safe to say that normal service will be resumed next year.b, 21b, 21Also, is autotune the naughties version of hip house?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Going to see his tour tomorrow night, I'll be interested to see how much new material he drops... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21i wonder what happens to the autotune? can they run that shit live? if not, i don't him being able to pull it off. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21param name="movie" value=""1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/object1

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    From what I've heard off of this, it should be considered a concept album. Kanye is trying to pass it off as skreet-friendly, when it's clearly not (in the traditional sense). Very few songs have high hats on them, lots of emphasis on the minimal, electronic vibe--consistent with his recent influences. It's right with the times, especially considering the Prodigy 80s album, Black Milk's [i]Tronic/i1 and other releases going for that sound. It's almost like he's trying to take it to where Andre has on an emotional level, but it's nowhere near as polished, by design. I don't think it makes sense to compare this to his other releases. I do give him credit for stepping out and making a self-expressive, artistic album to get whatever he's been through off his chest. Take it for what it is.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    This album is going to define the Autotune era (yes, i went there) .....30 and over boom bap dudes arent supposed to "get it".

• bingo

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Everything I've heard from this album, I've taken pause for a second and been like "Ummmm..." Then on second or third listen shit is f*cking banging. "Paranoid" is kind of killing it word to what Doc McCoy and could have been written by Roland Orzabel.b, 21b, 21Also, I feel what Ed Powers says about it being the defining album of the autotune era. THAT being said, dudes really doesn't overdo it on the autotune. Leave that to Ron Browz. Kanye does it tasteful in a sense.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    From my experience, Kanye's new take on autotune (what he calls Heartbreak) is missing the normal autotune loving cats by a mile. Compare how that target demo reacts to his "heartbroken" verse on Jeezy's "Put on" as opposed to "love lockdown", there's no contest. Kanye MAKES "Put on" and weirds out the same demo with Robocop, Love Lockdown, etc...b, 21The 16-21 yr old urban kid demographic is hating this shit, as far as I've seen. b, 21b, 21It is touching young Beckys though.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21It is touching young Beckys though. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21img src="http://sonofbillbrasky.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/bush-mission.jpg"1

Wow, fresh off the SMS from my dude Lonnie:b, 21b, 21"This nigga Kanye done jacked T Pain's style but this album is pretty dope thru 7 tracks so far"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I'm saying there's something to it for sure.b, 21b, 21Also, I do not trust the Strut opinion on rap music anymore.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah I'm saying there's something to it for sure.b, 21b, 21Also, I do not trust the Strut opinion on rap music anymore. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah, but I do like to hear what people are feeling outside of what works in the club or whats playing in the street.b, 21b, 21I guess I look at things too much from clurb compliance standpoint. It's definitely getting harder for me to enjoy rap just for it's musical merits. I hear a cut and I almost instantly start counting bpms, length of intro etc... SO some of the strut input is valuable from that standpoint. But I get very little in regards to what I gotta check for to stay relative as a dj.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I wonder why it took so long from when Cher first did it for that "sound" to catch on. I mean, the cher song was 10 years ago, but the auto tune craze really just started showing up within the last few years.....

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21I guess I look at things too much from clurb compliance standpoint. It's definitely getting harder for me to enjoy rap just for it's musical merits. I hear a cut and I almost instantly start counting bpms, length of intro etc... SO some of the strut input is valuable from that standpoint. But I get very little in regards to what I gotta check for to stay relative as a dj. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21Yes, as someone who was a working DJ and the hip-hop buyer at a record store concurrently, I can attest to this. Your opinion is instantly colored by the opinions of others. It kinda has to be that way. b, 21b, 21Now that I'm out of both those games completely (although not permanently out of the DJ game, I hope) I can hate it or love it as I see fit. What I've realized is that I am really over rap. Not hip-hop per se, but the act of rapping. If all you handed me to listen to was instrumentals of anything out now, I would be fine. Rappers really have to justify their existence with me nowadays.

• but heartless is such a sick video!! it's one of those song s that you like because of the video.b, 21b, 21param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" 21param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" 21param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2184757&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" 21/object1b, 21Heartless/a1 from kwest/a1 on Vimeo/a1.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I wonder why it took so long from when Cher first did it for that "sound" to catch on. I mean, the cher song was 10 years ago, but the auto tune craze really just started showing up within the last few years..... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/thezone/animals/life/images/cycle1.gif"1

• Dancehall artists have been using autotune for years and years.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah I'm saying there's something to it for sure.b, 21b, 21Also, I do not trust the Strut opinion on rap music anymore. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Ha - despite our mutual "hey, this new Q-Tip is pretty good!" love-fest from the other day? How quickly attitudes change!b, 21b, 21I don't know if I trust anyone's opinion on rap music anymore.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    kanye would put out irish folk music and play the fiddle or produce a mariachi band if it was hip.

• auto tune kanye > rapper dude kanye

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Dancehall artists have been using autotune for years and years. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21TEMPTED TO TOUCH TEMPTED TO TOUCHb, 21b, 21b, 21b/wb, 21b, 21GAL YUH A LEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAEEAAAAAAADb, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Cosmo: anymore?

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Dancehall artists have been using autotune for years and years. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21This is true. Doesn't it seem like it's being used a lot more recently. Your boy Munga takes it there on every song.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21kanye would put out irish folk music and play the fiddle or produce a mariachi band if it was hip. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21hipster Cumbia takeover.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Dancehall artists have been using autotune for years and years. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21TEMPTED TO TOUCH TEMPTED TO TOUCHb, 21b, 21b, 21b/wb, 21b, 21GAL YUH A LEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAEEAAAAAAADb, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Cosmo: anymore? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Hahah...b, 21b, 21And that wasn't directed towards you Oliver. I definitely respect your opinion.

• LaLaLa HaleHeloHaLow!b, 21HelaBalaHeHeleBalo!b, 21b, 21WE GETTIN A-RAB MONEY (shakes fists, makes silly face)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It's only a snippet, but I'm quite liking the sound of that. Forget dancehall, it's got a soca thing going for it that is extremely appealing to me.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    What's up with dudes with ten/fifteen/twenty thousand posts acting as if they do not themselves represent "the Strut opinion"? Y'all sound like my angry-Caucasian college classmate John who was always talmbout "I'm sorry, I just can't trust white opinions on music."b, 21b, 21IT'S NOT JUST A RIVER IN EGYPT, MY DUDERS.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this new kanye shit is garbageb, 21b, 21and dont get me wrong i have nothing against autotune

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Never forget dancehall, it's got a flamenco thing going for it that is extremely unappealing to me. b, 21b, 21h, 21

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i dont mind it.b, 21paranoid is my shit right now though.