when the dancefloor shakes and the needle bounces.

Ayrotollah77Ayrotollah77 415 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I started a regular gig last night at a local bar and it was good but i got my decks set up on these little bar tables and the floor shakes when people are dancing causing the skips and pops..Anyone have any advice on how to rig/solidify a set up under these conditions??Greatly appreciate your help.Peace-P

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah get S[/b]erato. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="" 21

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah get a coffin b, 21b, 21h, 21

• Well since i'm broke i can't get either..any cheap shortcuts?? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah get some of those spools of packing tape with holes in the middle that are big enough to fit the feet of the turntables in them. Then you put thick rubber bands around them so that the basically the feet of the turntable fit in the jawns and are suspended and have a cushion by the rubber bands. b, 21b, 21Does that make sense?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah get some of those spools of packing tape with holes in the middle that are big enough to fit the feet of the turntables in them. Then you put thick rubber bands around them so that the basically the feet of the turntable fit in the jawns and are suspended and have a cushion by the rubber bands. b, 21b, 21Does that make sense? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Fusk yeah!!That's a dope idea! I knew someone here would come strong with some isht like that..good lookin' out..Hopefully i'll be able to cop Microwave soon..peace-p

• works with empty tuna cans too

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah get some of those spools of packing tape with holes in the middle that are big enough to fit the feet of the turntables in them. Then you put thick rubber bands around them so that the basically the feet of the turntable fit in the jawns and are suspended and have a cushion by the rubber bands. b, 21b, 21Does that make sense? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Damn, that's a good idea. b, 21Before Microwave, I would always bring 4 cinder blocks with me if I was playing a house party or something. Oof.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I can't lay claim to that idea, but yeah it works.

• http://www.esotericsound.com/access.htmb, 21b, 21also, ive seen small balls filled with sand ( like those stress balls you roll around in your hand) as well as tennis balls cut in 1/2b, 21slates of graniteb, 21best shit i ever saw was an innertube for bike tire 1/2 filled surrounding the 1200 that were suspended which usually are all wobbly and wack to rock on no skips ,no feedback.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    squash balls

• b, 21b, 21This is an isolation platform...it eliminates the direct transmission on sound and vibration into the turntable...It also helps with low frequency feedback.

• b, 21b, 21In lieu of seratro, I have heard good things about these. b, 21b, 21I'd think that a decent layer of firm foam (packing material type) would work too.b, 21b, 21Cosmo-b, 21b, 21That rubber band, tape joint is pretty clever tho too.

• b, 21b, 21or play records that people wont dance to. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif" alt="" 21

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21or play records that people wont dance to. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21I can verify that this method is very effective img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" 21

• I had the same problem at a house i lived in 10yrs ago where we used to have a lot of parties. it was an old timber house and the needle wouldn't stay on long when the party was jumping. We ended up suspending the whole rig from the ceilingb, 21with counter weights on the floor stopping it from swinging too muchb, 21b, 21these would work as wellb, 21 b, 21b, 21Google freefloats to find a stockist

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Gig I played on Friday had them hanging from the ceiling, counter weighted to the floor & wall. Worked great. I found myself flinching when drunk people started jumproping & falling over on the dance floor, but the needle didn't jump once.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah get Sb1[/b]erato. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21Why would this suggestion make a difference since with s.erato you are still using turntabes and needles, thus bouncing is still a factor?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Relative mode vibrations don't effect the thing. No feedback or nothing.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Relative mode vibrations don't effect the thing. No feedback or nothing. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21but when the people bounce all in the mug and make the needles skip, ouch

• in relative mode, it skips to the same point of the song. Unless it is a really bad skip, you don't notice it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Gig I played on Friday had them hanging from the ceiling, counter weighted to the floor & wall. Worked great. I found myself flinching when drunk people started jumproping & falling over on the dance floor, but the needle didn't jump once. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I once DJed on a similar set-up. Good for floor vibrations. Still bad for drunken idiots who bump into the set-up.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    The ceiling hanger thing is great, but as soon as you start trying to cut up, it's all over.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Gig I played on Friday had them hanging from the ceiling, counter weighted to the floor & wall. Worked great. I found myself flinching when drunk people started jumproping & falling over on the dance floor, but the needle didn't jump once. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I once DJed on a similar set-up. Good for floor vibrations. Still bad for drunken idiots who bump into the set-up. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21It was surrounded by a booth, so drunkies bump into that & the records are un-affected.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21The ceiling hanger thing is great, but as soon as you start trying to cut up, it's all over. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21Yeah exactly, it used to be a dance club though so no need for the hippity hop acrobatics. We were just dropping 45s so no probs for us either.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I had the same problem at a house i lived in 10yrs ago where we used to have a lot of parties. it was an old timber house and the needle wouldn't stay on long when the party was jumping. We ended up suspending the whole rig from the ceilingb, 21with counter weights on the floor stopping it from swinging too muchb, 21b, 21these would work as wellb, 21 b, 21b, 21Google freefloats to find a stockist b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I played at a gig with those things a few weeks back and thought they were the worst thing i had ever encountered, I have played on a few really good suspended set ups though.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I had the same problem at a house i lived in 10yrs ago where we used to have a lot of parties. it was an old timber house and the needle wouldn't stay on long when the party was jumping. We ended up suspending the whole rig from the ceilingb, 21with counter weights on the floor stopping it from swinging too muchb, 21b, 21these would work as wellb, 21 b, 21b, 21Google freefloats to find a stockist b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I played at a gig with those things a few weeks back and thought they were the worst thing i had ever encountered, I have played on a few really good suspended set ups though. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I carry those with me everywhere I'm booked for DJing. When not blown up they are very small and have the size of an 12" sleeve and fit perfectly in your record case.b, 21They are something like an emergency tool for me and saved my ass more than once.b, 21Your set up will get bit groggy and you need to get used to it, though.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I started a regular gig last night at a local bar and it was good but i got my decks set up on these little bar tables and the floor shakes when people are dancing causing the skips and pops..Anyone have any advice on how to rig/solidify a set up under these conditions??Greatly appreciate your help.Peace-P b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21dude just have B hold em like one inch above the table at all times. hahaha

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21in relative mode, it skips to the same point of the song. Unless it is a really bad skip, you don't notice it. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21If it's really bad you can always switch the track to internal and take the needle off completely. That's really a band-aid solution, though. Not something you want to do all night.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Gig I played on Friday had them hanging from the ceiling, counter weighted to the floor & wall. Worked great. I found myself flinching when drunk people started jumproping & falling over on the dance floor, but the needle didn't jump once. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Wait, people are jumping rope at the clubs there? Thats crazy!