Spielberg & Will Smith to remake Oldboy (nausea-r)

Comments

• Spielberg should just stop, anyone see the new Indiana Jones? GTFOHWTBS img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/f-u.gif" alt="" 21

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21they have been out of ideas for a long time nowb, 21thats nothin newb, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Hollywood is not out of ideas, they are resistant to new ideas. Movies are so expensive to make that Hollywood is extremely conservative. It is easier to convince investors to put up millions when you are selling an idea that has already been succesfull. Thus the endless sequels, remakes, adaptations of old TV shows etc. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Oh, no doubt but the '70s were a shitty economic era too yet look at the film output then? b, 21b, 21Of course, one can blame "Jaws" for bringing us to where we are today. Ironic too that Spielberg remade that from the far superior Israeli film, "מלתעות"

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 "מלתעות" b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lvl.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" 21

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 /font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21A direct remake would seem to be particularly dark territory for both Spielberg and Smith, b1as the original contains a number of family-unfriendly themes and sequences/b1 , such as the famous live octopus sushi scene. Spielberg is currently said to be searching for a writer b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/nov/07/spielberg-smith-oldboy-remakeb, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/weaksauce.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/f-u.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ehh.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/suspect5es.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hi.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nagl2.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bucs.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21My wife told me this last night. You shoulda seen my reaction when she told me it was Spielberg and Will Smith.b, 21b, 21She hasn't seen it so we're watching it tonight. I hope that Guardian story is a joke.

Remake politics aside, I don't think Will is a bad choice here, casting-wise. Again, I can't see them keeping the whole ****** angle in the film; that'd be way disturbing for a Hollywood, mainstream flick. b, 21b, 21And I take back what I said before - you can't really leave that out, including the ending.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Remake politics aside, I don't think Will is a bad choice here, casting-wise. Again, I can't see them keeping the whole ****** angle in the film; that'd be way disturbing for a Hollywood, mainstream flick. b, 21b, 21And I take back what I said before - you can't really leave that out, including the ending. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121 Will Smith as far as acting goes. I don't think dude has the chops to fill that role.b,121b,121Really, I'm just sick of seeing Hollywood spit out these sub-par remakes. Like someone mentioned above, The Departed wasn't bad, but I never saw the original.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21they have been out of ideas for a long time nowb, 21thats nothin newb, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Hollywood is not out of ideas, they are resistant to new ideas. Movies are so expensive to make that Hollywood is extremely conservative. It is easier to convince investors to put up millions when you are selling an idea that has already been succesfull. Thus the endless sequels, remakes, adaptations of old TV shows etc. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Oh, no doubt but the '70s were a shitty economic era too yet look at the film output then? b, 21b, 21Of course, one can blame "Jaws" for bringing us to where we are today. Ironic too that Spielberg remade that from the far superior Israeli film, "מלתעות" b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21You can't really compare the pre-blockbuster (not the store) pre-home video era to today. So many more movies were made every year in the 70s. Now less movies are made, but for more money.b, 21If we look back, the film industry has always done well in economic down times. Escapism is what the film industry markets, and escapism is what the public wants in the face of bad times in the real world.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Remake politics aside, I don't think Will is a bad choice here, casting-wise. Again, I can't see them keeping the whole ****** angle in the film; that'd be way disturbing for a Hollywood, mainstream flick. b, 21b, 21And I take back what I said before - you can't really leave that out, including the ending. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21 Will Smith as far as acting goes. I don't think dude has the chops to fill that role.b, 21b, 21Really, I'm just sick of seeing Hollywood spit out these sub-par remakes. Like someone mentioned above, The Departed wasn't bad, but I never saw the original. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21It wasn't sub-par but wasn't vastly superior either. The original HK flick was, in my opinion, much better written. "Departed" was directed better - I mean, Marty can make anything look really, really good. b, 21b, 21As for Choi Min-sik vs. Will Smith - I haven't seen enough of Choi's films to speak on it but I'm just saying: for THIS role, I could see Smith going ok; he can just channel some of that "I am Legend" angst. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21. I don't think dude has the chops to fill that role. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21zing!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    expecting announcements for: b, 21b, 21--Drew Barrymore and McG remaking Auditionb, 21b, 21--Meg Ryan and Jay Roach tackling Irreversibleb, 21b, 21--City of God relocated to Compton, starring Keenan Thompson and the gang from Goodburger

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    i love city of god so much

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21--City of God relocated to Compton, starring Keenan Thompson and the gang from GoodburgerWinky Dink Dog b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21/object1

BTW, isn't "City of the God" basically "Boyz N the Hood" relocated to the favelas? b, 21b, 21Just saying. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21BTW, isn't "City of the God" basically "Boyz N the Hood" relocated to the favelas? b, 21b, 21Just saying. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21In the same sorta way that Boyz N the Hood is I Vitelloni with guns...

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Since we're on the topic of remakes that aren't going to cut it, my gut tells me this is going to fall well short also;b, 21b, 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I haven't seen sixth sense yet, so don't be a bunch of assholes and ruin the ending for me. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Soylent Green is people. People!

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I haven't seen sixth sense yet, so don't be a bunch of assholes and ruin the ending for me. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Vader is Luke's father.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah I read this story in the paper last week - my bet is that this would be a Spielberg produced film rather than one he actually directed.b, 21b, 21I could see Smith making this and keeping the ending as it is if he's reached the point in his career when he wants to switch things up a bit more (I thought The Pursuit Of Happiness was probably the first part of this scheme).

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Smith would never be believeable as a barfly salaryman. Better someone like James Gandolfini / Harvey Keitel.b, 21b, 21Whoever eats the octopus is up for an Oscar.

• There has already been a Indian remake of this. the movie is called Zinda. very much a scene by scene remake except for the ending.

Spoiler alert this please for those that haven't see the original yet but how did they change the ending?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Latte pass - The ending IS the movie. How the F*ck are they gonna write around that? b, 21b, 21How are they gonna write around the antagonist's original act that caused the revenge in the first place? It's just as bad as the twist in the end, no? Hence the fitting revenge, right? I think they're gonna make it about running over dogs or not returning borrowed power tools or some shit like that. b, 21b, 21Like someone said "Sympathy for Mr. Revenge" would be a much better Hollywood fit, although dead kids don't necessarily move tickets.

• They made the story less controversial i suppose. b, 21b, 21here is a breakdown of the Similarities (warning spoilers)b, 21http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinda_(film)

• Round up the kids for the DOUBLE FEATURE!!!b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21

Ha ha dear god. I'm kinda surprised this hasn't been done earlier. The plus point is that I'd be interested to see what Chow brought to the film if he does direct. His kiddie feature CJ7 was an interesting mix of sentimentality and very unwestern violence.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    MoSS, you're really up on your Swedish cinema! I just saw the swedish version the other day (L??t den r??tta komma in) but I had no idea they're going to make an american version. Interesting.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Reservoir Dogs was pretty good, not a remake per se but it owes its concept to another movie. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21i didn't realize that, which movie? b, 21b, 21h, 21/object1 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Death Proof has some pretty serious rips from Mad Max as well...b, 21b, 21/object1

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21MoSS, you're really up on your Swedish cinema! I just saw the swedish version the other day (L??t den r??tta komma in) but I had no idea they're going to make an american version. Interesting. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yes, they are planning for it to come out late 2009/2010 apparently. There is already an IMDB page for it. There is no way they're going to be able to pull this off in Hollywood, at least in it's original form. The subject matter coupled with the age of the actors isn't going to fly, or it's going to cause a lot of controversy. I have to imagine certain parts of the story are going to be omitted or altered for the US version. Anyhow, I thought the movie was fantastic, and I'm glad someone did it properly regardless of how the remake turns out.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21It's official, Hollywood is out of ideas. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Jaden Smith To Star In "Karate Kid" Remake[/b]b, 21b, 21[i]Columbia Pictures is back in the dojo with a new version of the 1984 hit "The Karate Kid," which has been refashioned as a star vehicle for Jaden Smith.b, 21b, 21The film will be produced by Jerry Weintraub (who launched the original franchise) and Overbrook Entertainment's James Lassiter, Will Smith and Ken Stovitz. Will Smith, who is the 10-year-old actor's father, co-starred alongside Jaden in his feature debut, "The Pursuit of Happyness," which Overbrook and Escape Artists produced for Columbia.b, 21b, 21The script is being written by Chris Murphy, and the film will shoot next year in Beijing and other cities. While the new film will be set in that exotic locale, it will borrow elements of the original plot, wherein a bullied youth learns to stand up for himself with the help of an eccentric mentor.b, 21b, 21China Film Group Corp. will co-produce in China.b, 21b, 21The younger Smith, who next stars in "The Day the Earth Stood Still," is a martial arts practitioner./i1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif" alt="" 21

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Macaulay Culkin dies at the end. And the chick is actually a dude.