Spielberg & Will Smith to remake Oldboy (nausea-r)

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hi.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21can't imagine this being even remotely decent

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm surprised this hadn't happened sooner.b, 21b, 21If they keep the ending reveal the same, I'll be flabbergasted.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I'm surprised this hadn't happened sooner.b, 21b, 21If they keep the ending reveal the same, I'll be flabbergasted. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    dude there is absolutely no way possible that will happen unless will smith (i'm assuming he's the lead?) is retiring from acting or something

• Isn't this too new to remake? Damn.

To me, the movie doesn't need that ending (I think it's rich enough without it) but I'm not sure what else you'd do to flip things up.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    this won't get made.if it does, it'll be produced by spielberg and won't star will smith.

who's gonna remake "ichi the killer"?

• i liked old boy, therefore i'm against it being remade. why don't they just set up international cooperatives between studios and just produce two versions at once. they used to do that with soundtracks. not like hollywood has any original ideas anymore.

cosign. Hollywood = lazy as F*ck

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    It's official, Hollywood is out of ideas.b, 21b, 21Ultimately, though, the remake will stand on the quality of the movie they make. The Departed was ok, even though it was a remake. A Fistful of Dollars is great, even though it's completely yoinked from Yojimbo. Reservoir Dogs was pretty good, not a remake per se but it owes its concept to another movie. Most remakes are horrible, but then again, most movies are horrible.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21who's gonna remake "ichi the killer"? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    last i heard seth rogan was doing this.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21It's official, Hollywood is out of ideas.b, 21b, 21Ultimately, though, the remake will stand on the quality of the movie they make. The Departed was ok, even though it was a remake. A Fistful of Dollars is great, even though it's completely yoinked from Yojimbo. Reservoir Dogs was pretty good, not a remake per se but it owes its concept to another movie. Most remakes are horrible, but then again, most movies are horrible. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21i think someone should do a movie about a person remaking THAT movie that you are watching.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/postmodern.gif" alt="" 21

I hope Sirius was joking about Rogen/ichi.b, 21b, 21For real though, I'd rather see a remake of Oldboy than a movie made from some half-assed TV show

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Reservoir Dogs was pretty good, not a remake per se but it owes its concept to another movie. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21i didn't realize that, which movie?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    they have been out of ideas for a long time nowb, 21thats nothin newb, 21they will water the OG down till its pale unrecognizable and lame b, 21fucck spewberger and that [uncle tom] bagger vance

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I never saw Old Boy.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Reservoir Dogs was pretty good, not a remake per se but it owes its concept to another movie. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21i didn't realize that, which movie? b, 21b, 21h, 21/object1

• how about such as the extensive hammer-in-the-hallway fight scene? b, 21b, 21b, 21and has Hollywood really had that many original ideas? I mean even old b/w movies were based on books or plays. Shit, alot of westerns were either based on japanese films or made by italians.b, 21b, 21b, 21p.s. - ALL of quentins movies have been riffs or homages to previous films/genres.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21A direct remake would seem to be particularly dark territory for both Spielberg and Smith, as the original contains a number of family-unfriendly themes and sequences[/b] , such as the famous live octopus sushi scene. Spielberg is currently said to be searching for a writer b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21uhhhh when I think of particularly family-unfriendly sequences from Old Boy, am I alone in that the octopus scene is not first one that comes to mind?

rosebud was the sled

• i hear errbody on the oldboy schitt. spielberg could maybe make some animatronic octopus or ants, but beyond that i don't see it working. b, 21b, 21i think sympathy for mr. vengeance woulda been an easier (and perhaps more powerful) movie for that duo to make. i liked that one so much i think my mom could remade it, and ida thought it was sick.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 i liked that one so much i think my mom could remade it, and ida thought it was sick. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/923.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21i dont know what that graemlin is supposed to mean.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Reservoir Dogs was pretty good, not a remake per se but it owes its concept to another movie. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21i didn't realize that, which movie? b, 21b, 21h, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21is nothing new?!! img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/know.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I hope Sirius was joking about Rogen/ichi.b, 21b, 21For real though, I'd rather see a remake of Oldboy than a movie made from some half-assed TV show b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21but it's stephen chow!!!b, 21b, 21maybe cameo in the next batmon flick?b, 21

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21p.s. - ALL of quentins movies have been riffs or homages to previous films/genres. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I'd love to see him do a remake of Black Mama White Mama. With Rosario Dawson and Uma thurman.b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21- spidey

• I haven't seen sixth sense yet, so don't be a bunch of assholes and ruin the ending for me.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    There was another City On Fire but it was a Canadian B-movie starring a bunch of actors like Henry Fonda, Barry Newman, Ava Gardner and Leslie Nielsen getting that late 70s distaster movie $$$. Oddly enought that piece of shit was remade as an Ice-T (does he have standards anymore?) flick that sometimes shows on the Sci-Fi channel. b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/talib-doodoo.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 i liked that one so much i think my mom could remade it, and ida thought it was sick. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/923.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21i dont know what that graemlin is supposed to mean. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21looks like the ring?

• Spielberg and Will Smith can hug my nutz!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21they have been out of ideas for a long time nowb, 21thats nothin newb, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Hollywood is not out of ideas, they are resistant to new ideas. Movies are so expensive to make that Hollywood is extremely conservative. It is easier to convince investors to put up millions when you are selling an idea that has already been succesfull. Thus the endless sequels, remakes, adaptations of old TV shows etc.