Record Seller/ebay dudes Feelin The recession yet?

kalakala 3,358 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
last couple of auction seemed ehhhhhb, 21expensive rarer still holding strong and mid level/lower level lps going for cheap[10-40 range records] usually what i started it atb, 21b, 21mush cheaper than 03/04/05 pricesb, 21b, 21i think the downturn has begunb, 21it's a buyers market now

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Buyer's market for mid and low stuffb, 21b, 21Sellers cashinhg in on value pieces because in 6 months they won't be shifting so well.b, 21b, 21Time to sell the sub-raers.b, 21b, 21True grails will always get top dolla

• Last two months of retail (WFMU excluded) have been pretty bad.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    <-- Popsike stealer is not complaining. Actually better than projected.b, 21b, 21B/W I did have a guy bid up a 45 to $400 then come at me with some 'I'm having personal problems' stuff I can't pay for thisb, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/530.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Time to buy the sub-raers.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21A lot of stuff in the $10-$70 isn't selling / ending as high as the last 12 months. Hope all the Paychecks / NevilleC's / Coolahands / Aleit's wont be having too rough a time businesswise!

• Shop has been sucking...still have some good days, but only a couple a week...things are tough out there. Im out of here when my new job starts in Decemeber, wishing the best of luck to the owner, its gonna be rough.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    the dollar gaining value against the pound / euro = lower end prices for US sellersb, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21the dollar gaining value against the pound / euro = lower end prices for US sellersb, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21on the plus side, that Shiela Wilkerson that Jazzman has is becoming more and more a reality to be in my collection....no way I was going to drop $300 on it, but now, with the pound dropping, it doesnt look as large of a purchase it would have been this time last year...

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Time to buy the sub-raers.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21A lot of stuff in the $10-$70 isn't selling / ending as high as the last 12 months. Hope all the Paychecks / NevilleC's / Coolahands / Aleit's wont be having too rough a time businesswise! b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21This is why the sellers need to ship out the sub raers with quickness. There are buyers thinking this is a great time to buy. Supply and demand perfectly matched, innit. Hurry while sentiment lasts.b, 21b, 21Guaranteed that by start 09 things will seem bleaker and folks will truly rein in the spending.b, 21b, 21Icy mornings + party season over + looking at a year of struggle = we're doomed-R

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Time to buy the sub-raers.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21A lot of stuff in the $10-$70 isn't selling / ending as high as the last 12 months. Hope all the Paychecks / NevilleC's / Coolahands / Aleit's wont be having too rough a time businesswise! b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21This is why the sellers need to ship out the sub raers with quickness. There are buyers thinking this is a great time to buy. Supply and demand perfectly matched, innit. Hurry while sentiment lasts.b, 21b, 21Guaranteed that by start 09 things will seem bleaker and folks will truly rein in the spending.b, 21b, 21Icy mornings + party season over + looking at a year of struggle = we're doomed-R b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I agree. However, if that means that i'm able to buy stuff like the earth disciples lp for $20 you won't hear me complaining untill the end of the year....

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    damm thats a bleak forecast skelly

sorry mayneb, 21b, 21you wouldn't want me to lie to you now, would you?b, 21b, 21and don't forget you have that special POTUS day to look forward to in January.b, 21b, 21And then it's spring!b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happyday.gif" alt="" 21

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21There are buyers thinking this is a great time to buy.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I got outbid on the Double O & His Demingos that was on ebay this past week - it sold for 500, last year it was worth 1200+b, 21b, 21on the plus side there should be more garage sales out there, more people looking through their attics & closets to see what they can sell to keep the lights on

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Icy mornings + party season over + looking at a year of struggle = we're doomed-R b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21What better than some fantastic American music to get you through the day!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Icy mornings + party season over + looking at a year of struggle = we're doomed-R b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21What better than some fantastic expensive American music brought back to the US by purchasing from a foreign dealer with weakened currency to get you through the day! b, 21b, 21h, 21

"Music: Your Best Entertainment Value"

• American buyers feeling teh squeeze + dollar gaining value against the pound/euro = no fun in the record storeb, 21b, 21Look for a Soup Line Sale some time soon.

But on the upside (provided you have some spare investment capital) there could soon be some decent collections available on a 'fire-sale' tip.b, 21b, 21Dudes in Japan still be buying and Euroman will be back in Summer 09 if the recession doesn't cut too deep.b, 21b, 21Hang tough all you fixed-cost-paying store owners.b, 21Time to negotiate rent-holidays?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    DEL>THE BRONX/DEL> MY ASS IS BRUNING.

• I can't complain one bit, euroman is bidding high and bidding often, people are dumping records in the field like no tomorrow, but one thing i've noticed:b, 21b, 21mid level/lower level james brown/pfunk/etc records that use to sell in the $20-30 range are now $5-10 records again. not sure if it's a backlash on "american style" chicken choker funk or if it's the "I already got it!" factor.

• Business has been down in my shop since August. Not "get out of town" down but definitely slower. I've seen an upsurge in sellers though so I've been very well stocked the last few months. Hoping for an Obama bounce. Being in DC we're fairly recession proof (especially with the government growing) so I'll just hang on (and DJ more) until things pick up again.b, 21Haven't sold on e-bay in a while but have definitely picked up some personal bargains recently.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21the dollar gaining value against the pound / euro = lower end prices for US sellersb, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21I recently gripped some Euro stuff and the overall conversion for me was sweet.b, 21But in a few days I plan on doing the ebay thang again and I'm preparing for a big disappointment.

• I'm not an e-seller per-se, but I've had an auction planned for a while. As per usual I waited for the summer snooze to role over, but this time WHAM...autumn shaftage: I get sweaty palms just thinking about listing right now. I don't know if it's best to post and pray or wait it out. I have a feeling I'll have to wait at least a year if I do, though... which is a long time to sit on deadwax.b, 21 I think alot of dudes have been caught in this bind for a while now... the tumbleweeds have been blowin across the e-bay pages since last spring.

• Ebay has been fine for me the last couple months. I did notice a few buyers who usually go crazy bidding on multiple auctions have been MIA. But there's still plenty of people in the world who can afford to support their habit.

• As an occaisonal Ebay Oz seller the devaluation of the A$, I reckon has helped me get a lot more overseas bidders as my Oz pscyh rares/semi rares are now about 30% cheaper to US and European buyers.b, 21b, 21Is also helping with my snare drum business (mainly export)

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    /font1
    b, 21b, 21Damn man trying buying ish with aussie dollars img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21 x 10

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Shop has been sucking...still have some good days, but only a couple a week...things are tough out there. Im out of here when my new job starts in Decemeber, wishing the best of luck to the owner, its gonna be rough. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21Hope you are keeping at least one day at the record shop img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sn.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Working full-time at a record store is tough.b, 21b, 21Working one day at a record store while having a good job is img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fire.gif" alt="" 21

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21As an occaisonal Ebay Oz seller the devaluation of the A$, I reckon has helped me get a lot more overseas bidders as my Oz pscyh rares/semi rares are now about 30% cheaper to US and European buyers.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I remember the A$ being like 60% or less of the US$ just a few years back -b, 21in fact, I used to buy alot of shit from THE REAL 200_CRATES img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif" alt="" 21 back thenb, 21because with the conversion his 45's were straight bargains.

• It went as high as 96c to the Us dollar in late July this yearb, 21and is now 67c pretty massive drop.I dont understand how with Australia having a much more stable economy than the US how our dollar can dive during this time.b, 21b, 21 Anyway good time to buy Aussie records!!

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    it was as high as 98 cents to the us dollar. The Aus Dollare is down due to the intrest rates going down. Investors drop our dollar for a currency that has higher rates makin our dollar weaker.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Canadian dollar is still pretty strong so no problems there.b, 21b, 21:knock on wood: