Dizzee Rascal = GEEZER

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• exciting, innit?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Can a foreigner donate to the campaign of a PM candidate? If so, I would contribute to Dizzee. Imagine the Obama/Rascal photo ops.

• "mr. rascal"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21"mr. rascal" b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21Gotta love those BBC standards...

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    "He couldn't have won it with out Hip Hop..." classic!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Ha ha that cheeky grin after "in time" is classic. Rascal for Prime Minster.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Ha ha that cheeky grin after "in time" is classic. Rascal for Prime Minster. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21I'd vote for him.b, 21b, 21Would a Prime Minister of Indian or Pakistani descent would be a more relevent comparision in Britain? Punjabi MC?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    As long as they can convey the necessary gravitas when facing down the likes of Putin.b, 21b, 21"Shift dem missiles though, innit?" just won't cut it.

"Yeah, but I am arrrrksing you nicely though"

b, 21I'll avoid a thread-hijack - see the Russian Missile thread.b, 21b, 21This is hilarious:b, 21b, 21/object1

• INNIT

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21I'll avoid a thread-hijack - see the Russian Missile thread.b, 21b, 21This is hilarious:b, 21b, 21/object1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21*I* must be a geezer who could care less about fashion, but how you gonna rock a Yankees hat with an Orioles jacket?b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nagl2.gif" alt="" 21 X 10.

It's probably true to say that we Brits don't really understand the protocols of US sports and sportswear. When it comes to repping my team, I prefer the old-school method of the discreet lapel badge. In Dizzee's case, I think it's more about the colour combo here, although the Orioles jacket could possibly be a reference to The Wire.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21It's probably true to say that we Brits don't really understand the protocols of US sports and sportswear. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Or give a fusk about said protocols.

• Seems Estelle didn't like it.b, 21b, 21a href="http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20081217/ten-estelle-paxman-was-disrespectful-5f8abb3.html" target="_blank"1http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20081217/ten-estelle-paxman-was-disrespectful-5f8abb3.html/a1b, 21b, 21Thought both of them came out of it looking good

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    A normally sensible friend of mine joined the group a href="http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32449759485" target="_blank"1'BBC made a mockery of black boys'/a1 on Facebook which is dedicated to the incident. It has since become so active that it's spawned a new group/'freedom of speech movement' called 'THE REAL TALK' .b, 21b, 21 b, 21 /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I love Dizzee Rascal???s music and I respect him as a musician. But lets face it, the guy is bare dumb. So the BBC saw fit to bring him on to Newsnight on 5/11/08 (a serious political/current affairs programme for those who???ve never watched it) to discuss the impact of Barack Obama???s election. As if he is some kind of intellectual voice for the black men of this country. What happened to guys like Trevor Philips, Tim Campbell (Apprentice winner) or David Lammy MP who went to Harvard with Obama?
    b, 21
    b, 21Everything from his attire to his swagger to his hand gestures made me cringe and wonder how many people were laughing at us that evening. Baroness Amos was clearly emabarrassed and Jeremy Paxman was trying to hold in his laughter towards the end (watch the full thing on BBC iPlayer, forward it to 50 minutes).
    b, 21
    b, 21Why did they do this? To make us look stupid? To be honest I don???t blame Dizzee, the guy is clearly dumb and he was exploited by the BBC and Jeremy Paxman and made to look and sound foolish (Paxman even called him Mr Rascal). The guy obviously needs better advisors around him.
    b, 21
    b, 21I don???t know about you but this just got me angry. At first I laughed at it but the more I think about it the more I realise that they thoroughly took the PISS out of us that evening. I say complain to the BBC bbc.co.uk/complaints, after all they expect you to pay your TV licence to fund this type of nonsense. Do you think that if McCain had won they would have had Pete Doherty or Jade Goody lined up to give their highly intellectual input? I think not.
    b, 21
    b, 21A sneak preview of the interview:
    b, 21
    b, 21Paxman: Do you believe in a British government?
    b, 21Dizzee: yeah, yeah course I do, I believe they exist
    b, 21
    b, 21Paxman: Mr Rascal, do you feel British?
    b, 21Dizzee: Ye I???m here init, whats good?
    b, 21
    b, 21Paxman: "Why don???t you run for office?"
    b, 21Dizzee: "See Thats a very good idea i have to do that one day still, Dizzee Rascal for prime minister yeah s???happenin"
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21And compare the difference between Dizzy (purposely spelt like that) and Snoop
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21The Guardian's take:
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21COMPLAIN:
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21The more I think about it, the more blame I place on Dizzee's shoulders. I should change the name of the group to something like:" Dizzee Rasclaat shames himself on the BBC and makes all black boys look like wastemen in the process". And what's with the ridiculous Joker/Cheshire cat grin?
    b, 21
    b, 21But still make your complaints coz the BBC shouldn't have invited him on. bbc.co.uk/complaints
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1 b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21THIS GROUP HAS OUTGROWN ITS NAME. A new group has been created to meet the demands of our growing community.
    b, 21
    b, 21Simply click on the link below to start benefiting from a group that is more than just writing on a wall.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21THE REAL TALK
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Seems Estelle didn't like it.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21Thought both of them came out of it looking good
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The interview was kind of weird, but I suppose Paxman asked 'do you feel British' to see if Mr Rascal felt disenfranchised... considering that the hot topic was a black man taking the world's premier political job, it seemed reasonable enough at the time given the fact that black men are under-represented in British politics.b, 21b, 21As far as the idea that was Paxman laughing at Mr Rascal, perhaps Estelle would have felt more comfortable if Simon Amstell had been asking the questions - she never seems to know when he's taking the piss or not.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Seems Estelle didn't like it.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21Thought both of them came out of it looking good
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21"At one point during the Newsnight interview, Paxman asked: "Mr Rascal, do you feel yourself to be British?"b, 21b, 21The star replied: "Course I'm British man, you know me... it don't matter what colour you are.b, 21b, 21"It matters what colour your heart is man, and your intentions. I think a black man, purple man, Martian man could run the country, whatever man, as long as he does right by the people.""b, 21b, 21^^^ REALEST TALK. One of the few people that have given Paxman a straight and sensible answer. Diz hasn't got the RP diction of a public schoolboy but gave a succinct and heartfelt response.

I sort of see Estelle's point, and I personally know a lot of black folks (including my missus) who say they get seriously pissed off when someone asks, "Yeah, but where are you from?" when they say they're British. Paxman could have phrased the question a little more tactfully, or, better still, asked Diz if he ever felt disenfranchised in his own country, but that's how Paxman does - people oughtn't to be too surprised at that.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I sort of see Estelle's point, and I personally know a lot of black folks (including my missus) who say they get seriously pissed off when someone asks, "Yeah, but where are you
    from?" when they say they're British. Paxman could have phrased the question a little more tactfully, or, better still, asked Diz if he ever felt disenfranchised in his own country, but that's how Paxman does - people oughtn't to be too surprised at that. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21But Paxman does phrase his question relatively tactfully, he asks "do you feel yourself to be British?" not 'where are you from?' or 'are you British?'. It could mean anything from, the obvious, to, do you "Mr Rascal" as a black man born and living in England, feel that you are; related to, included in, or represented in modern Britain. Depends how the listener wants to take it from there. b, 21Is Dizzee likely to give you a erudite answer to match the intellect of someone like Paxman? Probably not. Could Estelle do any better? I doubt it. Was the tone of the interview/piece wrong? Probably. But I don't think it was meaningfully offensive. I think they all got caught up in the celebratory mood, and forgot themselves momentarily.