Frampton Comes Alive (RR)

2»

Comments

• ill tell ya something..... if i found a sealed OG with a hype sticker on it that said "contains..." etc, id propably buy it just to say i had an unopened Frampton Comes Alive. Ive personally never seen a sealed one. i mean, who DIDNT open that record?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121ill tell ya something..... if i found a sealed OG with a hype sticker on it that said "contains..." etc, id propably buy it just to say i had an unopened Frampton Comes Alive. Ive personally never seen a sealed one. i mean, who DIDNT open that record? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b,121hahah, thats a good point.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Real Record Talk.b,121b,121Please to give me your thoughts on this crate digging masterpiece? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121There is a a href="http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_frampton_comes_alive/" target="_blank"15.1 surround sound mix of this/a1 but some way it's not worth the price or effort. Too bad.b, 21b, 21Let's nor forget Frampton Comes Alive II/b1b,121img src="http://www.progboard.com/graphx/covers/6083.jpg"1

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Real Record Talk.b,121b,121Please to give me your thoughts on this crate digging masterpiece? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121There is a a href="http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_frampton_comes_alive/" target="_blank"15.1 surround sound mix of this/a1 but some way it's not worth the price or effort. Too bad.b, 21b, 21Let's nor forget Frampton Comes Alive II/b1b,121img src="http://www.progboard.com/graphx/covers/6083.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121 On the original Frampton Comes Alive, audience reaction and sounds were added to the smaller venue recordings to match the feel of the Winterland recordings. Because "Show Me the Way" had not yet been released in any form, the audience response was less than more familiar numbers. On the original album, Frampton added more audience response to make it appear that it was as recognizable to the audience as more familiar material./b1 b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    It's not just Do You Feel.b,121b,121It's also Baby I Love Your Ways.

• I rode for that album in 1976 and still play it at least once a year. I was 14 when it came out and I played the shit out of it. It did get me into Humble Pie and the Small Faces (and also live albums in general) so there were some positive affects.b,121I remember one kid in my high school in Atlanta who thought he was Peter Frampton. He had curly blond hair, played guitar in a band and owner a gold lame jumpsuit. He was also a klepto, He stole a Les Paul from the local guitar shop by walking in with an empty case like he was there for lessons and then walked out with the Gibson. He also stole a talk box from the under the front counter by having a friend distract the sales clerk while he reached around. He later went to Tulane and became a Dead Head.

• When I was growing up, we lived right next door to the Lees. They had two sons, Buddy and Robbie, and were part of that unique '70s-'80s phenomenon known in black neighborhoods as The Last White Family On The Block. (Well, not quite THE last, but they were definitely one of the few.) Buddy and Robbie were a good five-six years older than me - in high school when I was still in grammar. In the mid-seventies, they used to sit in their backyard and blast Frampton Comes Alive! as loud as it would go. They'd be back there with various friends and girlfriends and from our kitchen on a nice summer day we could smell that marijuana smoke coming on strong. Surprised we didn't get a contact high. To this day, I still can't think of Frampton without flashing back to Buddy, Robby, their girlfriends, their big ole vans (one of 'em had a carhorn that played "La Cucaracha"), and that bad-ass weed.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 On the original Frampton Comes Alive, audience reaction and sounds were added to the smaller venue recordings to match the feel of the Winterland recordings. Because "Show Me the Way" had not yet been released in any form, the audience response was less than more familiar numbers. On the original album, Frampton added more audience response to make it appear that it was as recognizable to the audience as more familiar material./b1 b,121b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That makes sense. Frampton's solo career up to then was marginal. That crowd noise on that album made him sound like he was i1already[/i] a massive superstar playing at some coliseum. Prior to '76, the only way he could have played to a big ole auditorium is if he were an opening act, and even then they wouldn't have known enough to respond to a "Show Me The Way" before it became a hit...

I didnt get to hear the full album until college back in '87. NYC Rock radio still played it thru the 80's.b,121b,121I heard it many times at various parties. But one evening while trippin on acid that shit really washed over me. b, 21b, 21That talkbox shit got me OPEN.b, 21The bassline on Show Me The Way is my shit.b, 21b, 21And all the hippie chicks new all the words.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121 On the original Frampton Comes Alive, audience reaction and sounds were added to the smaller venue recordings to match the feel of the Winterland recordings. Because "Show Me the Way" had not yet been released in any form, the audience response was less than more familiar numbers. On the original album, Frampton added more audience response to make it appear that it was as recognizable to the audience as more familiar material./b1 b,121b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That makes sense. Frampton's solo career up to then was marginal. That crowd noise on that album made him sound like he was i1already[/i] a massive superstar playing at some coliseum. Prior to '76, the only way he could have played to a big ole auditorium is if he were an opening act, and even then they wouldn't have known enough to respond to a "Show Me The Way" before it became a hit... b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah. My co-worker was tellin me that Dude came outta nowhere.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121 On the original Frampton Comes Alive, audience reaction and sounds were added to the smaller venue recordings to match the feel of the Winterland recordings. Because "Show Me the Way" had not yet been released in any form, the audience response was less than more familiar numbers. On the original album, Frampton added more audience response to make it appear that it was as recognizable to the audience as more familiar material./b1 b,121b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That makes sense. Frampton's solo career up to then was marginal. That crowd noise on that album made him sound like he was i1already[/i] a massive superstar playing at some coliseum. Prior to '76, the only way he could have played to a big ole auditorium is if he were an opening act, and even then they wouldn't have known enough to respond to a "Show Me The Way" before it became a hit... b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121I never understood how he was a big star when no one I new had heard of him before that lp.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121 On the original Frampton Comes Alive, audience reaction and sounds were added to the smaller venue recordings to match the feel of the Winterland recordings. Because "Show Me the Way" had not yet been released in any form, the audience response was less than more familiar numbers. On the original album, Frampton added more audience response to make it appear that it was as recognizable to the audience as more familiar material./b1 b,121b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That makes sense. Frampton's solo career up to then was marginal. That crowd noise on that album made him sound like he was i1already[/i] a massive superstar playing at some coliseum. Prior to '76, the only way he could have played to a big ole auditorium is if he were an opening act, and even then they wouldn't have known enough to respond to a "Show Me The Way" before it became a hit... b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah. My co-worker was tellin me that Dude came outta nowhere. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Not really. Frampton had been a founding member of Humble Pie and had a few solo albums out on A&M before FCA. Most of the tunes on FCA had appeared in studio versions on those albums already (I made a mix CD at oine point that had all of he OG versions of the songs from FCA in the same sequence as the album), so it's not out of the question that audiences would have been familiar with him or his songs when the live album was recorded. I don't doubt that the crowd noise was sweetened, but he wasn't an unknown commodity.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121 On the original Frampton Comes Alive, audience reaction and sounds were added to the smaller venue recordings to match the feel of the Winterland recordings. Because "Show Me the Way" had not yet been released in any form, the audience response was less than more familiar numbers. On the original album, Frampton added more audience response to make it appear that it was as recognizable to the audience as more familiar material./b1 b,121b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That makes sense. Frampton's solo career up to then was marginal. That crowd noise on that album made him sound like he was i1already[/i] a massive superstar playing at some coliseum. Prior to '76, the only way he could have played to a big ole auditorium is if he were an opening act, and even then they wouldn't have known enough to respond to a "Show Me The Way" before it became a hit... b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah. My co-worker was tellin me that Dude came outta nowhere. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Before that album, Frampton was one of those "opening acts" who got FM airplay and had a fan base, but was hardly a superstar. You could also put Pat Travers, Mahogany Rush, the Rockets, Wishbone Ash, April Wine and Little Feat in that same category. b, 21b, 21After that album hit, during '76-78 just about EVERY rock (and funk!) act going HAD to have a live double LP in their discography...it had been done before, but after Frampton that became the THING for a few years...

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121 On the original Frampton Comes Alive, audience reaction and sounds were added to the smaller venue recordings to match the feel of the Winterland recordings. Because "Show Me the Way" had not yet been released in any form, the audience response was less than more familiar numbers. On the original album, Frampton added more audience response to make it appear that it was as recognizable to the audience as more familiar material./b1 b,121b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That makes sense. Frampton's solo career up to then was marginal. That crowd noise on that album made him sound like he was i1already[/i] a massive superstar playing at some coliseum. Prior to '76, the only way he could have played to a big ole auditorium is if he were an opening act, and even then they wouldn't have known enough to respond to a "Show Me The Way" before it became a hit... b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah. My co-worker was tellin me that Dude came outta nowhere. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Not really. Frampton had been a founding member of Humble Pie and had a few solo albums out on A&M before FCA. Most of the tunes on FCA had appeared in studio versions on those albums already (I made a mix CD at oine point that had all of he OG versions of the songs from FCA in the same sequence as the album), so it's not out of the question that audiences would have been familiar with him or his songs when the live album was recorded. I don't doubt that the crowd noise was sweetened, but he wasn't an unknown commodity. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Not really. b,121b,121We knew who Humble Pie were, but they were not huge. b,121Did he have solo lps or did he have a band called Camel that no one listened to?b,121b,121The sound on that record is BIG Arena Crowd Loves Him Going Nuts. b,121But he was a guitarist from a no big deal band with some "solo" records fronting a band that was even less of a big deal. b, 21b, 21At least thats the way it was with me and my friends. But that record was big.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121 On the original Frampton Comes Alive, audience reaction and sounds were added to the smaller venue recordings to match the feel of the Winterland recordings. Because "Show Me the Way" had not yet been released in any form, the audience response was less than more familiar numbers. On the original album, Frampton added more audience response to make it appear that it was as recognizable to the audience as more familiar material./b1 b,121b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That makes sense. Frampton's solo career up to then was marginal. That crowd noise on that album made him sound like he was i1already[/i] a massive superstar playing at some coliseum. Prior to '76, the only way he could have played to a big ole auditorium is if he were an opening act, and even then they wouldn't have known enough to respond to a "Show Me The Way" before it became a hit... b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah. My co-worker was tellin me that Dude came outta nowhere. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Not really. Frampton had been a founding member of Humble Pie and had a few solo albums out on A&M before FCA. Most of the tunes on FCA had appeared in studio versions on those albums already (I made a mix CD at oine point that had all of he OG versions of the songs from FCA in the same sequence as the album), so it's not out of the question that audiences would have been familiar with him or his songs when the live album was recorded. I don't doubt that the crowd noise was sweetened, but he wasn't an unknown commodity. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I never said he was i1unknown[/i], I just said he was i1marginal[/i]. Big difference. See my last post for clarification. The audience in a smaller venue may have been familiar with those songs, but do you think he had enough fans to fill an auditorium? Maybe not before i1Alive![/i], but definitely after...b,121b,121People bought his albums, so he wasn't starving, but he didn't become PETER FRAMPTON - SUPERSTAR/b1 until the live album came out. It was then that he started making the covers of magazines. It's like the difference between REO in the seventies (regional album act) vs. REO in the early eighties (million-selling megastars).

Did "regular" folks own his albums before FCA?b,121b,121I get the impression that only "heads" had these albums.

• i remember there being a break on that record. maybe with crowd noise, but a break nontetheless. correct me if im wrong.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    someone needs to do a paper or a thesis on the cultural impact and the long term social ramifications of this masterwork

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    b, 21Jump to: navigation, searchb, 21Frampton Comes Alive!b, 21Frampton Comes Alive! coverb, 21Live album by Peter Framptonb,121Released January 6, 1976 (U.S.)b,121February 13, 1976 (UK)b,121Recorded Marin County Civic Center, San Rafael, CA, June 13, 1975b,121Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco, June 14, 1975b,121Long Island Arena, Commack, NY, August 24, 1975b,121Plattsburgh, NY, November 22, 1975b,121Electric Lady Studios, New Yorkb,121Genre Rockb,121Length 78:06b,121Label A&Mb,121Producer Peter Framptonb,121Professional reviewsb,121b,121 * Allmusic 4.5/5 stars linkb,121 * Robert Christgau (B-) linkb,121 * Rolling Stone linkb,121b,121Peter Frampton chronologyb, 21Framptonb, 21(1975) Frampton Comes Alive!b, 21(1976) I'm in Youb, 21(1977)b,121b,121Frampton Comes Alive! is a live album by Peter Frampton, originally released on January 6, 1976.b,121b,121Frampton had minimal commercial success with his early albums. This changed with Frampton's breakthrough best-selling live album, Frampton Comes Alive!, in 1976. The album was recorded in 1975, primarily at Winterland in San Francisco, California and the Long Island Arena in Commack, New York. Released in early January 1976, it debuted on the charts at 191. It stayed at the top of the charts, at number one, for 10 weeks, stayed in the Billboard's Top 40 album chart for 55 weeks, and stayed on the Billboard 200 charts in total for 97 weeks. It was the top selling album of 1976, beating Fleetwood Mac's Fleetwood Mac for the top spot, and was the 14th best seller of 1977.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9]b,121b,121The album became the biggest selling live album at the time of its release and sold over 6 million copies in the US, and 16 million worldwide. As of 2008, it is the fourth best selling live album of all time.[2]b,121b,121The most recognizable songs from the album are "Show Me the Way", "Baby, I Love Your Way", and "Do You Feel Like We Do", all of which were released as singles, and continue to receive much airplay on classic rock radio stations. Contrary to popular belief, Frampton only uses the talk box on two songs; Show Me The Way and Do You Feel Like We Do.b,121b,121The original release was a double album, but it was later reissued as one CD.b,121b,121The album was recorded by an mobile recording studio on a 1 inch 8-track master tape recorder. State of the art studios at that time typically utilized 2 inch 16 or 24 track recorders. The relatively primitive technology used for the album helped keep production costs low. The double album was released in the U.S. at a special low price of $6.98, only 1 dollar more than the standard $5.98 of most rock albums in 1976. Despite its low cost the album earned a tremendous profit for the label and the artist because of the very high sales figures.b,121b,121In January 2001, a "25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition" of the album was released, containing four additional tracks that were not included on the original version. The track sequence is also slightly different.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Did "regular" folks own his albums before FCA?b,121b,121I get the impression that only "heads" had these albums. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121I was given the whole run of pre-FCA Frampton LPs by a friend of my Dad's who is quite the "regular folk". But for all I know he bought the back catalog after FCA blew up. The only one I kept was "Wind Of Change", that one's ok, the rest are pretty much "own one, own enough" indistinguishable.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I hatt the HERD record. that album looks like it'sb,121going to be some crazed Pretty Things/Kinks hybrid,b,121on a typically reliable label (Fontana) from a goodb,121time period ... and it's the most fey shite imaginable.b, 21b,121I think it had one decent song, and even THAT had like ab,121kazoo breakdown or something similarly horrific going on.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121And all the hippie chicks new all the words. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121We're going to have a good timeb,121Good time, good time, good time, good time, good time (yeah)b,121b,121WUH WUH WUH WAAHH WAAHH WAAAAHHb, 21b,121b,121Anyway, r.i.p. to Bob Mayob,121a href="http://imageshack.us" target="_blank"1img src="http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6762/bobor3.jpg"1/a1

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Did "regular" folks own his albums before FCA?b, 21b,121I get the impression that only "heads" had these albums. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121People who liked his early albums were pretty much those who were into Humble Pie. People knew him as a great guitarist but didn't get the kind of attention that Clapton or Page did. The live album was the one that put him on the covers of many magazines and briefly had him associated with the Bay City Rollers, WOWII, and John Schneider.b, 21b, 21They also put him in that Sgt. Pepper movie, and we all know how great that one is. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bucs.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121It's like the difference between REO in the seventies (regional album act) vs. REO in the early eighties (million-selling megastars). b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Journey is another example. First three albums are borderline prog/jazz rock, Steve Perry got into the picture and they adjusted their collective nuts for the hits, but really wouldn't blow up until Escape[/b] came out.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I hatt the HERD record. that album looks like it'sb, 21going to be some crazed Pretty Things/Kinks hybrid,b, 21on a typically reliable label (Fontana) from a goodb, 21time period ... and it's the most fey shite imaginable.b, 21b,121I think it had one decent song, and even THAT had like ab,121kazoo breakdown or something similarly horrific going on. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b, 21The Herd have some great singles, 'Beauty Queen', 'Fairy Tale' etc...

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b, 21 On the original Frampton Comes Alive, audience reaction and sounds were added to the smaller venue recordings to match the feel of the Winterland recordings. Because "Show Me the Way" had not yet been released in any form, the audience response was less than more familiar numbers. On the original album, Frampton added more audience response to make it appear that it was as recognizable to the audience as more familiar material.[/b] b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That makes sense. Frampton's solo career up to then was marginal. That crowd noise on that album made him sound like he was already a massive superstar playing at some coliseum. Prior to '76, the only way he could have played to a big ole auditorium is if he were an opening act, and even then they wouldn't have known enough to respond to a "Show Me The Way" before it became a hit... b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah. My co-worker was tellin me that Dude came outta nowhere. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b, 21Not really. Frampton had been a founding member of Humble Pie and had a few solo albums out on A&M before FCA. Most of the tunes on FCA had appeared in studio versions on those albums already (I made a mix CD at oine point that had all of he OG versions of the songs from FCA in the same sequence as the album), so it's not out of the question that audiences would have been familiar with him or his songs when the live album was recorded. I don't doubt that the crowd noise was sweetened, but he wasn't an unknown commodity. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Not really. b, 21b,121We knew who Humble Pie were, but they were not huge. b, 21Did he have solo lps or did he have a band called Camel that no one listened to?b,121b, 21The sound on that record is BIG Arena Crowd Loves Him Going Nuts. b, 21But he was a guitarist from a no big deal band with some "solo" records fronting a band that was even less of a big deal. b, 21b,121At least thats the way it was with me and my friends. But that record was big. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b, 21D**b, 21Taking your chemically induced confusion about the 1972 election, are you sure you're not thinking of Buzzy Linhart???

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 The live album was the one that put him on the covers of many magazines and briefly had him associated with the Bay City Rollers, WOWII, and John Schneider.b, 21b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Wowii?b,121b,121John, are you talking about these guys?/b1b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.angar.net/band/wowii.jpg"1b, 21b, 21b1I know that this Florida band has a cult reputation with power-pop collectors, but I never knew they were big enough to be considered up there with the Bay City Rollers. (Even though Crawdaddy, a legit rock magazine, did a huge story on these guys in '78...)/b1

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121Wowii?b,121b,121John, are you talking about these guys?/b1b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.angar.net/band/wowii.jpg"1b, 21b, 21b1I know that this Florida band has a cult reputation with power-pop collectors, but I never knew they were big enough to be considered up there with the Bay City Rollers. (Even though Crawdaddy, a legit rock magazine, did a huge story on these guys in '78...)/b1 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b, 21I haven't seen a photo of them in decades, but that's them.